PDA

View Full Version : vintage 30/40 krag ammo value?

Denny303
02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
I found a small box, at least 20 or more rounds at an upcoming estate sale, the headstamps are mostly (Frankford arsenal) FA 05 or 03 or in that range IIRC, what would these be worth? I've googled and not found much except for the picture I linked to below. the condition of them is excellent and as nice as these in the pic, actually they are identical with the silver bullet. Any cartridge collectors out there have any info on rarity and value? thanks...Denny

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9458207#

GOPHER SLAYER
02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I never had any luck trying to sell old ammo, even paper wrapped civil war 58 caliber cartridges. I currently have several 1892 FA 45-70 rounds that I got no offers on. I have been giving them to friends one at a time as a keepsake.

Multigunner
02-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Some Krag ammo had the inside of the case tin plated to reduce degradation of the powder. Sometimes the tin plating cold soldered to the Cupro-Nickel jacket of the bullet and could cause excessive pressures.

If the powder in these loads predates the use additives then it is probably best not to try firing these and if you sell these rounds tell the buyer not to fire these.

Millions of rounds of suspect military Krag ammo was sold off dirt cheap and broken down for components. When the powder was found to be okay it and the bullets were used by handloaders during WW2 to reload the .30-06 and similar .303, 7.65 or 7.7 cartridges since freshly manufactured components were in short supply.

Denny303
02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
ok, if they go cheap enough I may get them. thanks guys

Reg
02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I never had any luck trying to sell old ammo, even paper wrapped civil war 58 caliber cartridges. I currently have several 1892 FA 45-70 rounds that I got no offers on. I have been giving them to friends one at a time as a keepsake.

That's for sure. Had a good friend who passed on a couple of years back and I helped sell off his estate. In it was a fantastic collection he had put together of about every metallic cartridge you could imagine. He had really knocked him self out and spent a ton of money on it. Came time to try to sell it and we couldn't even get 25 cents on the dollar. Hate to say it but it appeared the dealers just wanted to sell and not buy. Wound up donating it to a local museum and the widow at least got a fair tax write off.

ascast
02-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I once had a bunch of that vintage krag ammo ( read 100's). most of the necks were split, it is corrosive primed, bullets were mil hardball 220 grn
They will most likely try to get you to bid as if it was the last known box on the planet; it's not.
If in sealed box, add something - ( but no-body really cares )
otherwise, cheap compentents at best

TreeKiller
02-12-2015, 12:45 AM
Had an acquaintance get 100 rounds of early 30-40 Kraig ammo from his brother most was in original boxes. He wanted $160.00 for it I passed .