PDA

View Full Version : New sub forum??

tomme boy
02-10-2015, 11:56 AM
We all are discussing how to make better ammo and the guns that shoot them. How about a new sub forum about actually "how to shoot" these guns. I know I need help on how to shoot pistols better. And my bench technique for rifles could be better.

bangerjim
02-10-2015, 03:45 PM
A thread may help, but the real only way is to have a "expert" at the range with you. As you know, there are so many different nuisances of successful/accurate firing that are conveyed by hands-on experience, not just reading it in a book or on line.

Tips here would be helpful, but expert hands-on guidance is invaluable.

There a ton of videos on youtube, if you can trust any of that carp. I do not. Any bozo with a camera and a computer can put up a how-to video. There are a few (names withheld) that I think just like to hear themselves talk on the tube!!!!! Total idiocy.

bangerjim

GhostHawk
02-10-2015, 10:48 PM
I think a sticky thread on Range tips would be very helpful!

There is a world of difference I found from shooting out in the field to shooting at an indoor underground rifle range!

DR Owl Creek
02-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Tomme,

I think it would be a great idea.

Dave

Love Life
02-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I want a sub forum for sub forums!!

Just kidding.

There is good online instruction available. Especially on Sniper's Hide. Form is important as are your bags, rest, bench, stock, cheek weld (falls in form), how much you smoked, how much coffer, wind calls, mirage, etc.

Red River Rick
02-11-2015, 12:03 PM
............... How about a new sub forum about actually "how to shoot" these guns. I know I need help on how to shoot pistols better. And my bench technique for rifles could be better.

It's called practice!

RRR

tomme boy
02-11-2015, 02:33 PM
I know practice helps. What about reading wind? Range estimating? How to ride the bags? Proper form behind the gun? Everything shooting related.

There are a lot of people that can shoot. But there are very few that can really shoot. I want to know why. What are they doing? And how are they doing it? This could help every single person here.

As to Snipers Hide???? I know a bunch of people that will not go there. Too many wanna bees and kids that think just because they have a $5000 rifle they can shoot and tell everyone else how to do it.

Love Life
02-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Yeah, there are those issues on the Hide, but the training videos are legit. I'd also suggest getting to the ranges when matches are going just to watch and ask questions. Everybody I have run into has been more than happy to help and give some hints.

btroj
02-11-2015, 02:51 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Rifle-Accuracy-Glen-Newick/dp/0883171597

This book will tell you much of what you need to know. It is well written and the author has been there and done that.

GIYF

ballistim
02-11-2015, 03:08 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Rifle-Accuracy-Glen-Newick/dp/0883171597

This book will tell you much of what you need to know. It is well written and the author has been there and done that.

GIYF

Just ordered it, thanks!

Tim

jcren
02-11-2015, 03:17 PM
I would like to see everyone's tips in one place. I have shot a pistol for around 30 years, and last year stumbled across a tip called "the 2-step method of pistol shooting" that not only improved my shooting, but has been awesome when training newbe's. You never stop learning.

popper
02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Field shooting is more like military & I learned a lot from the Canadian book. The Army 45 shooter's book is good too. I practice one handed a lot as that is the way my pistols will really be used. Hide has some good suggestions on bag setup, etc. Observe someone that is getting good groups, what are they doing you aren't? Wind & range doesn't make much difference to me for 50 & 100 EXCEPT what it does to the shooting platform - ME. Further than that, get a rangefinder & know the expected size of the target.

Love Life
02-11-2015, 04:14 PM
I would say put up the wind flags next time you shoot at 100.

Certaindeaf
02-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Booger hook what? How were we even able to drop a hammer without handholding? Oh, "it" has always existed.

montana_charlie
02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I think we need a new forum section to hold all of the idiotic polls that keep appearing ...

Love Life
02-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I think we need a new forum section to hold all of the idiotic polls that keep appearing ...

We should have a poll on that.