PDA

View Full Version : Simple Video for BTSniper die set up in Lee Classic press.

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 04:03 AM
Put together a short video showing the basic set up of my dies in a Lee Classic cast press. Hopefully this will help some of the first time users out there or those looking to get into swaging.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp862k3bMs8&feature=youtu.be

and when you get finished with the video it is always a good read to find out what tips and techniques are used by the top benchrest bullet makers out there.

Here is a link to a very good read on how to make the most accurate bullets possible with whatever set of dies you use.

http://www.benchrest.com/FAQ/1.shtml

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

p.s. I just finished a condensed version of my instructions to be sent with the larger instruction manual as a quick tips and set up for the use of the dies shown in the above video. I'll post it here so maybe you guys will get an even better understanding of their use and those of you already using the dies might be able to chime in with any helpful comments I might be able to use to improve either the dies or the instructions. As you can see I'm on my way to adding more pics, videos and diagrams. Just takes a little time for me.

So if you can imagine..... here is the quick and short version :)

Quick start notes for BTSniper three die set

Here are some quick tips.

Casting cores…. clean mold first of all left over machining oils with some simple hand dish soap and hot water. Let mold dry then preheat and apply a bit of the supplied bullet lube (popsicle stick) I provide on the hinge locations, alignment pins and underside of sprue plate. I like to use wooden matches to apply a black layer of smoke to the mold cavities. Start with just a couple cavities at first till mold has reached proper temp and be sure to break sprue plate loose every time the instant the lead solidifies. Cast your cores at a rate fast enough to keep mold lead pot hot. Review instruction manual!

Swage cores…install core swage die and base punch in your press as shown in video. Be sure lock ring doesn’t block bleed hole, also be sure when adjusting top bolt of this die you don’t allow the internal pin to block bleed hole. Easiest way to set up this die is to screw the die into press so the bleed hole is located just above the lock ring, free from obstructions, insert one of the already swaged cores I provided you with into the die and adjust the die in press or adjust the top bolt of die until you reach full stroke of ram at the very instant you feel the slight pressure applied to the core. These cores are pure lead, feel free to experiment with them to get a feel for how easy it flows. You can run this die with very little lube on the lead, as little as just a touch with lubed fingers on every 10th core or so. When done be sure to clean cores of all lube before seating them in jacket. Review instruction manual!

Seat cores…. Install core seat die and base punch into the press, make sure the core seat die is set to desired flat base or boat tail base settings as depicted on the included diagram. The top bolt of this dies needs to be set exactly for either flat base or boat tail then any further adjustments are made by the height of die in press. Use one of the jackets with seated cores I supplied you with as your first setting. Apply a little lube to this jacket and push it into the die. You want to apply just enough pressure to expand the jacket to the core seat die diameter (about .3065) and seat core enough so it doesn’t fall out. Not too much pressure but just enough…. You will develop a feel for it. Review instruction manual!

Point form…… Install point form die and either flat base or boat tail base punch in press. Use the supplied solid brass “control” bullets I provided you with. Obviously use the flat base control bullet with the flat base punch and the boat tail control bullet with the boat tail base punch. Remember…. It is the core seat die the forms the boat tail not the point form base punch! Do not attempt to form a boat tail bullet in the point form die with a jacket that already has a flat bottom base to it! The boat tail must first be formed in the “core seat” die. It will be a good idea to start with making flat base bullets to get a feel for your dies. Install the die “loosely” in the press with flat base punch in the ram. Use the flat base control bullet and push it into die till you either feel pressure or reach the top of the stroke. If you feel pressure before reaching the full stroke of the press, back the die out till you don’t. You need to be able to reach the top of the stroke before feeling any pressure. With the ram at the top of the stroke slowly screw the die down till it makes contact the control bullet and can no longer be adjusted any deeper in the press. Now set the lock ring and you are set! Use this setting for all bullet weights when using the same RCE 1.15” 30 cal jacket. Slight adjustments can be made from this setting to achieve desired bullet formation results but make all adjustments very small, no more than an 8th of a turn or less.

Now you are ready to form your own bullets. Take one of your jackets with seated cores and apply a bit of lube, (it is always better to use too much lube then not enough till you get familiar with your dies) now slowly and smoothly run it up into the die the full stroke of the press. This will require only a slow steady application of pressure, not so much that you cannot do it one handed while seating. If pressure becomes extreme eject the bullet and back the die out of press slightly to reduce pressure. You will know when you have applied enough pressure when the point of the bullet is fully formed and the base of the bullet is at final diameter as measured and depicted on the supplied diagram. Too much pressure will start to compress the jacket, too little pressure and the jacket will not fully close at the tip of the bullet to the design limits of the point form die. When the tip of the jacket/bullet is closed to the design limits of the point form die the tip of the bullet (meplat) will be the same diameter as the built in ejection pin of the die allowing the pin to push the bullet out of the die by applying pressure to the hard jacket rather than pushing against the soft lead core of a bullet with a tip not fully formed. This greatly reduces the chances of getting a bullet stuck in the point for die. Review instruction manual!

Now all you have to do is eject the formed bullet. Do so with a slow and steady pressure applied to the press allowing the Auto Ejection System to eject the bullet slowly and smoothly. With practice you will develop a rhythm and feel for what rate works best when forming and ejecting the bullets. At first it is always best to start out slow and steady.

And finally…. again…. Review the instruction manual for more details regarding proper use of you new set of dies. Should you ever have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Brian Thurner

BTSNIPER llc.
541-436-4095

andyt53
02-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Nice video and great choice for music!

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 04:51 AM
Thanks!

I do enjoy Pink Floyd and listen to them quite a bit while working in the shop.

Can you believe it only took me 8 hours to put that 5 minute video together! :groner:

Almost as much work as making the dies, just kidding :kidding: but still!

Swage On!

BT

andyt53
02-10-2015, 05:14 AM
I love Floyd. Own every album they put out. Good music for just about every mood. Also BT, I'm going to message you about some products of yours I'm interested in.

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 05:17 AM
Sounds good, I stay pretty busy and get to the PMs just as soon as I can.

Swage on!

I know it is two hours later or at this time of day earlier in the morning there in TX. you must be working a swing shift :)

I'm off to bed!

BT

andyt53
02-10-2015, 05:25 AM
Yes, I work from 6:00pm to 6:00am. 6-7 days a week. For being 26, I feel old. These hours are starting to wear me out.

just bill
02-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Nice, very nice.

Bill

Bonz
02-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Great video ! Would have liked to have seen this before I started using my first BTSniper swaging setup. It certainly removes a lot of mystery. Will certainly help out people that have never seen this setup in action !

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Added a bit more to the original post with a shortened "quick set up tips" version of my instruction manual and a link to a very good page with helpful tips to making the most accurate bullets possible with whatever set of dies you have.

BT

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Those of you that are using this set up and dies.... after watching the video, which part of the process took you the longest to figure out when you first received your dies? Which part of the video did you find most helpful and which part/parts do you feel might still need a bit more elaboration.

I'll continue to strive to make everything as user friendly as possible and keep that learning curve to a minimum, your feed back will certainly help.

Thanks

Brian

Bonz
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
It's probably just me but before my swaging items arrived at my house, I didn't fully understand how it all worked together. If I could have watched this video before my items arrived, your video would have given me a better idea on how everything worked. Not a huge thing.

BT Sniper
02-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Good to know. Thanks. I'm sure it is not just you. I bet there are many of us out there that don't have a clear picture of how exactly any of this works. Got to show them that making bullets is much easier then they imagined.

BT