PDA

View Full Version : Gpr set trigger woes

peter72
02-10-2015, 02:44 AM
Gents, I have a dilemma.
The facts:
I ordered a Gpr .50 flintlock last August.
Yesterday I was called to say its ready to be picked up.
In the mean time I was made aware that the importer, due to what ever reasons, disabled the set trigger.
To cut a very long story short I have 2
options available.
Have the retailer send it back to the distributor to fix it to the condition I wanted to buy it in or have the part sent to me to install.
I am inclined to have it sent back but my question is if it is an easy job to do myself then I'll save another 4 or so weeks of me waiting. The part that has been removed is the "fly" as was described to me.
Thoughts?

bubba.50
02-10-2015, 03:07 AM
the fly is a small pointed piece of metal that keeps the sear from catchin' in the 1/2 cock notch when ya use the set trigger. without it you'll be limited to usin' only the front trigger to fire the gun. it's a simple fix that can be done by about anyone who can use a screwdriver. take the lock out, remove the bridle plate, put the fly in place & reassemble.

peter72
02-10-2015, 03:15 AM
Thankyou. That's exactly the info I was after.

koehlerrk
02-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Yup. Not a difficult job. Make sure you have a nice clear area with good lighting. I tend to use the dining room table and I spread out a large white towel to work on. It gives great contrast and also does a good job catching any little screws or pins that my fumble fingers drop. It keeps me from having to get down on my hands and knees and look for them on the floor.

Just remember, black powder locks today are made to be accurate copies of the originals.

The originals were built to be as simple and reliable as possible. They're very good pieces of machinery, but not all that complicated.

Good luck!

Willyp
02-12-2015, 07:38 AM
peter72,where do you live that you had to order a GPR and take that long to get it?

peter72
02-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Australia

OverMax
02-12-2015, 09:49 AM
If your in need of a part for your rifle. Consider calling or emailing Lyman direct. Probably get your needed part a whole lot quicker.

Omnivore
02-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Hm. There is a big difference between "disabling the set trigger" and removing the fly. One is messing with the lock, and the other is messing with the triggers. They're different components.

Removing the fly while leaving the set trigger operable is asking for a broken sear or half cock notch.

Either way it is a downright bizarre thing to do, and someone should be ashamed.

It's a simple test; keeping your thumb on the hammer at full cock, pull the front trigger just enough to ease the hammer just out of full cock, then release the trigger, and then ease the hammer down. If it stops at helf cock you have no fly. If it goes all the way down you have a fly.

I agree with OverMax; Lyman could probably take care of you straight away.

fouronesix
02-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Gents, I have a dilemma.
The facts:
I ordered a Gpr .50 flintlock last August.
Yesterday I was called to say its ready to be picked up.
In the mean time I was made aware that the importer, due to what ever reasons, disabled the set trigger.
To cut a very long story short I have 2
options available.
Have the retailer send it back to the distributor to fix it to the condition I wanted to buy it in or have the part sent to me to install.
I am inclined to have it sent back but my question is if it is an easy job to do myself then I'll save another 4 or so weeks of me waiting. The part that has been removed is the "fly" as was described to me.
Thoughts?

As has been posted, it could be the trigger or the lock. I'm betting on the trigger. Just take the lock off and the trigger plate off to see what was done before proceeding. I'm betting on the trigger. Does seem odd though.

peter72
02-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Took about 2 minutes to reinstall the fly and it's now working as it should.

fouronesix
02-18-2015, 12:08 PM
That is good news! Much better than several other possibilities. Really surprising that the choice was made to "disable" the set trigger function by removing (or reversing) the fly on a set trigger rifle tumbler! Sooner or later, as was posted in this thread, that could or would run a very high risk of ruining the half cock notch or the sear nose.

If I were to disable a set trigger action in one of those, I'd simply push the set trigger pin out, remove that trigger and leave the fly in place. Then there would be no risk of damage and the gun would simply operate as a no set, single trigger.

Omnivore
02-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Peter; Excellent!

Now the strangest part is; why would anyone ever attempt to "disable" the set trigger function, by any means, being that you can always simply forget about it and just use the front trigger? I'm thinking that what most likely happened is someone just made an error in assembly and then either didn't notice or didn't bother to correct it.

peter72
02-19-2015, 02:14 AM
Omnivore, it was removed deliberability. I believe it had something to do with the import laws in the state that the distributor is in. Very strange I know as the Pedersoli importer (different state) doesn't disable those set triggers.