PDA

View Full Version : Picture of my target, home made rifle with Malcolm type scope.

oldracer
02-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Well I am finally getting the "slug gun" I assembled about a year ago so it will shoot. In the interm I decided to make my own scope, mounts, and did the first cutting of a dove tail on a rifle barrel to mount the rear mount. I used the mounts and it seems to work well. This has also been a journey learning about paper patching and I tried the double wrap and also Chase wrap system. I have about settled on the Case wrap system and wrap as I load which works well. Today I went to the range to test things and the picture is of the 100 yard target I shot with Chase wrapped 560 grain bullets and 90 grains of powder. I'll post some videos on YouTube later on and they have come out much better with the mini tripod and external mic.

rodwha
02-09-2015, 10:04 PM
I's love to see the rifle and scope. I'm especially curious about your building the scope.

nagantguy
02-09-2015, 10:34 PM
I'd love to.see home made rifle and the.scope even more...super cool!

oldracer
02-09-2015, 11:21 PM
I had posted some pictures of the rifle and the scope earlier when they were not yet together. Here is one at the range today with the Malcolm scope mounted.

johnson1942
02-09-2015, 11:39 PM
man, old racer, when you walk on the range you and your gun are noticed. nice looking country in the background also. i love the single wrap system also, it never fails.

THBailey
02-10-2015, 12:01 AM
LOOKIN' GOOD! Thanks for sharing.

oldracer
02-10-2015, 12:26 AM
I am uploading a couple videos to YouTube which are much better than the one I posted last week. I put an external mic and mini tripod on the GoPro and they made a world of difference. Here is the first one:
http://youtu.be/T68FaTJJ8Do

johnson1942
02-10-2015, 12:47 AM
let us know when the you tube vid is avail with you teaching paperpatching and loading and shooting. it will be fun to watch and refer shooters to.

oldracer
02-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Here is a link to the second video I shot and posted. Please let me know what you think?
http://youtu.be/e1ZEUDbW2OM

THBailey
02-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks for putting up the videos. Very interesting. Why the long funnel instead of just dumping the powder down the barrel? For what it's worth, when I am hunting I avoid the double tap cap by gently setting the hammer down after capping and then pushing it down further with my palm against the back of the spur to seat the cap all the way down on the nipple. Started doing this after I had to drop the hammer twice while a mule deer buck watched me. Sounds a little daring, but of course the muzzle is pointed safely and I have never had a discharge while doing it and never had another double tap. Again, thanks for the video.

oldracer
02-11-2015, 02:33 PM
I started using the $100 Italian funnel when I came with my Pedersoli Gibbs. Before that I used a home made funnel and I started since my mentor said he did it to help keep powder off the walls of the bore. This is generally one of the things you test to see if it makes any difference when starting out. I would not use this if I was hunting and also probably would not be wiping the bore if I took more than one shot. In Ned Roberts' book the idea of wiping and using a funnel were discussed and many of the great shooters in the 1800's did this.

The primers I have this issue with are from Europe and tend to fit tight on the nipple more than those from CCI and other US companies. I just let that happen since I am just experimenting so it is no big deal.

johnson1942
02-11-2015, 03:24 PM
old racer, it dont get better than that. you explained the process perfectly. the next time you make a vid. tell the world the daim. of your bullet and the cal of your rifle and the weight of your paper. with all that you are going to make a lot of converts in single wrap paperpatching. thanks, thanks thanks, its simple, easy and gives results.

oldracer
02-12-2015, 12:47 AM
I plan to do just that and also use the narrow or close up lens feature so I'll get some better detail. Next range visit will probably be with my Lehigh long rifle and maybe the under hammer which I'll shoot some videos of them. The long rifle is intersting as it is so long the ram rod has to be one of the flex types as he roof of our shooting range is so low!

JSnover
02-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks for posting this. Nice work!

oldracer
02-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks Mr Snover, it took me a while to get the rear scope mount done and I finally had to actually cut a dovetail AND drill three holes for mounting screws! I did the three screws first and even with lock tight they would loosen from the recoil so I added the dovetail and use both. I was then afraid the whole thing would blow up but so far all is well!

JSnover
02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
I was hoping the greater weight of your rifle would solve the problem. I'm glad to see you got it worked out.