PDA

View Full Version : Checkmaker gas check maker - anyone using?

michiganmike
02-09-2015, 09:09 PM
I've been researching the Checkmaker gas check making tool. It looks like a well made tool, and the customer comments were positive. I need gas checks for only one firearm - a 7mm-08 rifle. So, it would be a one time expense of approximately $90.

On Midway USA, which has pretty representative prices, Hornaday 7mm checks are #34.50 and Lyman's are $47. I've always used Hornaday and they work well for me. I would have to make 3,000 checks before I paid for the tool, not counting the metal sheet.

Anyone using it? What are the advantages? Has it been worth it to you? And if so, why?

I look forward to your comments.

MichiganMike

VHoward
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
If you are referring to Pat Marlins Checkmaker, then they work fine at making gas checks. However, on the 2 that I owned briefly, the gas checks would not stay on the bullet. I would find them on the ground about 5 feet in front of the barrel. Now if that affects the way the bullet performs, I don't know. But I didn't like it.

I have since moved on to the Freechex 3 tool and have not had any problems keeping them attached to the bullet all the way to the target.

Retumbo
02-10-2015, 10:31 AM
:goodpost:

Totally agree