PDA

View Full Version : Need some deer blind building advice

rbstern
02-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Sorry for posting in the Hunting with CB area, but it seems to be the best place to discuss hunting related topics on the site.

My neighbor is generously letting me have much of the leftover wood from the house he just built. He routinely hunts my land, and we've agreed we're going to use the excess wood to build an elevated deer blind. He's got a teenage daughter who started hunting this year. Along with her, we often take other hunting newbies. Sometimes the wives like to come and sit in a double tree stand. We figure they'll last longer on cold, wet winter mornings and improve the odds if we put a roof over their heads and a propane heater near their feet. I prefer stalking deer, but the idea of spending a long winter morning out in the deer woods, while staying dry and warm, doesn't exactly put me off, either.

We've got a bunch of 2x8 lumber to work with, a lot of 2x4s, along with a long section of engineered/laminated beam. Some of it is untreated, so painting is going to be necessary, but that's no big deal. I'll get some 6x6 PT posts for the supports. We're thinking we'll go up about 7 to 8 feet, built a platform, and then wall it in, with hinged, wooden windows all along the perimeter for spotting and shooting. Simple, single sloped tin roof. Pretty conventional.

My key question is: How big? 4x8? 6x8? Larger? Most typically, it will be used by two people, but every once in a while, we may want to get three in there. Chair for each person, room for a basic hunting pack and, of course, a propane cylinder with a heater attached.

Interested to hear about size and feature considerations from those of you who hunt in blinds.

JSnover
02-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Two in a 4x8 blind is comfy but personally I'd go for 6x8 or better if you want to put a third hunter in there. Get two of your friends dressed for deer season and mock up a 6x8 space, see if you all have enough elbow room.

Beagle333
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Three people with a heater..... 8x8. :cool:

skeettx
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Three folks at least 6x8

Many commercial blinds are 4'x8'

http://www.treestandsandmore.com/theblyndhuntingblindsshootinghouse4x85fttowerstand

http://www.pic2fly.com/viewimage/4%20X8%20Deer%20Stand%20Plans/aHR0cDovL2kxNTUucGhvdG9idWNrZXQuY29tL2FsYnVtcy9zMj g2LzE3NzZGbGludGxvY2svRGVlclN0YW5kUGxhbi5qcGc

http://www.freedeerstandplans.com/

(http://www.freedeerstandplans.com/)

Blanket
02-09-2015, 08:07 PM
6X8 and I would go higher. Mine is 6X8 and 2 guys with a heater is enough. The floor of ours is 20' up and the deer do not spook. Carpet on the floor is nice as well

phonejack
02-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Be sure to put an eye bolt in the middle of the floor. Sink a rod with an eye into the ground under it. Use a chain with a turnbuckle to tighten. This will keep it secure to the ground. Or, set the corner posts in cement.
a handrail on the steps going up is handy to have.

country gent
02-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Padd the floor with indoor outdoor carpeting and padding. Pad flat surfaces to deaden noises also. A shelf some where along an out of the way wall for a coleman stove and coffee pot or tea kettle. some form of gun rack is nice also. One of the pull down ladders ( like for attic accesses) would work nice also. A solid door and lock if accessable to public so you dont show up to find others using it. Build the roof with a steep angle on it so snow and water run off easily. Insulated a small heater will keep it toasty warm. First thing is to find your spot, and get out and watch to see where deer come from and go to so it is facing the right direction and opening are where you need them. A vent in the roof to allow moisture and odors to disapate. also if a heater or other stove is used then it helps keep C02 build up down. A small wood burner would allow for heat and making coffee tea or hot chocolate in one unit. with wood.

largom
02-09-2015, 10:22 PM
3 people = 8X8, out-door carpet on floor, shingle roof or out-door carpet over tin to cut down noise of rain or falling nuts, etc. Windows = plex-i-glass, hinged outside and swing down. Keeps rain & snow out so inside does not get wet and rot. Would also build with-in a group of trees.

Larry

country gent
02-09-2015, 10:33 PM
A tin roof in the rain is the most relaxing sound puts me right to sleep. LOL

4719dave
02-09-2015, 10:46 PM
ditto ..find some telly phone poles for the legs ..
Three people with a heater..... 8x8. :cool:

jaysouth
02-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Build it close to the deer. Most folks put the blind too far away.:-P

CLAYPOOL
02-09-2015, 11:29 PM
If you watch the suns direction and extend the slanted roof out farther it will help with the sun. Also it keeps the rain out.

Duckiller
02-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Extend eaves on all sides. Plexiglass windows hinged on the inside of the blind and strings to hold them up. If yoy put windows on all sides either darkened plexiglass or some other way so you aren't silhouetted. I wouldn't use a large heater. Brother and I send time last November in 15-25 temps with each having a small heater. He had a "Black Cat" and I had a simple heater on top of a 16 oz propane bottle. A friend had asked him to put in big windows so he could bow hunt. Too much ventilation. Don't make blind too small. Heaters ,guns ,snacks, coolers, chairs and people all take up room. This was my first time in an elevated deer blind. In cold windy weather it was very nice. Blind was about 10 feet high to floor.

smoked turkey
02-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Here is a picture of the elevated blind my son and I built about three years ago. As you see it is about six feet off the ground and is built on a section of old schaffolding he had on hand. We use the rungs on the schaffolding to gain access through a trap door in the floor. Once inside the door is hinged down and it is all usable floor space. I believe it is about 6X8. I agree with the others that 4X8 would be too small. The windows are old ones salvaged from an old house. They were once double hung type. I took them apart and used each section with hinges at the top. The windows have small hook on the bottom rail and I simply hook them on a loop of heavy string to keep them open. I have not done it but need to put some shelving for holding things so it all is not on the floor. I also plan to make a shooting rest on each window made up of a piece of electrical conduit with insulated sleeves over it to rest the rifle. Each would be removeable so the window can open and close. Paint the inside a dark color so deer cannot see in and put some old carpeting on the floor to muffle the noise when you are moving around. If placed in a good location they are very effective and work extermely good. We use a Mr. Heater on a propane bottle for heat. We just bring a thermos of coffee and don't do any food prep in the "hunting condo". Be sure and situate it so you are not looking at the morning sun. Lastly Just Do It! You will be glad you did.

freebullet
02-10-2015, 02:40 AM
I built a portable 2 piece blind some years back. It was 4x8 and came apart in the middle for transport. It really helped my wife hunt in conditions she wouldn't of otherwise endured. I had to remove it at seasons end. It worked great and the portability made repositioning easier.

If I were in your position I would consider building it on a wagon or trailer, whatever is cheap/free. It would allow you to move the blind around even between the farms. Having used a 4x8 I would recommend going 12x8 or whatever size the cheap/free wagon is. You want to be able to shoot from inside and 4' makes that tough.

JSH
02-10-2015, 07:59 AM
I would highly suggest that it be built where it can be closed up. Critters tend to tear up chew up or nest in what ever you may leave behind. Buddy built one years ago that was nice but open. It lasted a couple of years. The critters and elements took its toll pretty quick. I have another that was built in the 80's and it is still going fine, shingled roof, insulated and heated. It was all done over time and added too.
4x8 is fine IMHO. Keeps one from bringing to much with them.

georgerkahn
02-10-2015, 08:13 AM
All suggestions sound great, and my addition might be, too -- if not a "tree" or otherwise elevated/off ground structure -- keep it as low as possible. As close to being in line with natural trees, brush, rocks, etc. Around this neck of woods, deer fit right in with lo-profile brush piles and the like -- avoiding high structures. Part of the natural defense system of deer is to have a reasonable view of the area they're in -- more re predators than guys & gals with rifles.
BEST!
georgerkahn

white eagle
02-10-2015, 08:17 AM
I've built a number of these on my land and it never ceases to amaze me how much room one person actually needs.You will be taking a lot more things with you and the "extra" room you thought you had is no more.What ever design you build give yourself more room than you think you need.

JB Weld
02-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Another thing to consider is to build it as Wasp proof as possible. Keep things tight, but make sure to incorporate some ventilation (with screen). We add 1/4" hardware cloth under our screens to help protect from big critters as well as the little ones. Also, remember to toss a bug bomb in that sucker before the beginning of deer season. It will get rid of any wasps that have found a way in.

I like to place stands facing North if possible. It keeps the sun at your back and not in your face.

44man
02-10-2015, 11:56 AM
You fellas are spoiled. I hang in a ladder stand with all the weather.
They can be on the ground too because deer get used to a structure. Raising one lets you see farther and shoot farther. I have deer in the yard all year and could shoot from my deck. It loses something about hunting so I will not do it. Spot and stalk or track in snow is hunting. Even a stand you are not hidden in is hunting.
I have squirrels at my bird feeder all the time so should I lift a window to shoot them?
When the mulberries are falling in my yard, I take my little dog for a potty and she will sit and watch deer. They have come within 10' of us. I could take a gun, kill it and brag about how great a hunter I am, like the video shows on TV. How about a dish and TV to watch next?

baogongmeo
02-10-2015, 01:11 PM
I built mine 6'x6' and the next one will be larger probably 7'x8'. Two people would be do-able in the 6'x6' but cramped,three people no way. Mine is on the point of a ridge on a slope so the downhill side is about 8' from the ground and the upper side about 7'. I built stairs to go up to mine and am glad that I did. I used tin for the roof and siding with 2" of foam insulation that was then covered with scrap pieces of paneling. The insulation really doesn't do much to hold the heat in when the windows are open but help with sound.
I thought for a long time about what to use for windows and finally used second hand storm windows but with my walls being 6' wide I could only use one window per wall leaving more of a blind spot at the corners than I would like...if I would have went with 7' then I could have used two windows and not had as large of blind spot. The blind spots really haven't been too much of an issue once I learned where to sit and keep moving my head from side to side.
As far as deer seeing me in the stand I only remember that happening one time and that was because when moving my chair I bumped into an old metal crate that I keep in the stand for storage and to use for an end table to set my coffee cup and stuff on.
For the window sills I used 2'x10's with them being flush outside and extending inside and put sandbags on them making a nice shooting position.
For the gents,I dug a posthole about 3' deep vertically in-line with the third from the top stair and ran a 2' pvc pipe about 2' into the posthole and up to about a foot below the handrail with a 2' to 4' adapter then a 6' length of 4' pvc and a cap on a chain finally putting about 2 1/2' of gravel in the posthole and capping with dirt. A place to get rid of all of that coffee without carrying a Gatoraid bottle around.

I know one fellow who's son is a contractor and borrowed his trencher to run an electric line to a stand in the woods behind his barn.

I use my tower for squirrel hunting too. Two days ago I sat in it with my 17HMR and long range headshot squirrels for supper.

rbstern
02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Lots of great feedback. Appreciate all the positive suggestions.

This is going to be a permanent stand. It will be replacing a tree stand that's about 75 yards from where I want to put the house stand. It's in an oak grove. On one side of the grove is a cut which leads down to a valley and a stream. On the other side is some heavily planted pine acreage where the deer bed down. The oak grove has proven to be a reliable area where the deer transit along the cut, between bedding and water.

Hadn't thought about critters and wasps. Will probably have to seal it up tighter than I realized.

44man
02-11-2015, 11:15 AM
I confess to wanting that comfort myself. Have thought about one where I hunt. Then I would be just shooting, not hunting but meat is meat after all.

rbstern
02-11-2015, 05:04 PM
I confess to wanting that comfort myself. Have thought about one where I hunt. Then I would be just shooting, not hunting but meat is meat after all.

I'm not sure why a person's physical movement or comfort (or lack of either) has to be some sort of a criteria for what "hunting" is. If I wade into the ocean and surf cast, I'm fishing. If I drive a really comfortable boat out to a spot on the water where some fancy electronic gadget says fish are waiting for me, and drop a line in, that's consider fishing, too.

Ten years ago, the first time I went wandering around a wildlife management area looking for squirrels, was clueless, except for what I had read in books (no prior hunting tradition in my family). Does that mean I wasn't hunting, because I didn't know anything? When I sat down against a tree to stake out a good spot for squirrels, did I stop hunting? Sitting on a cushion for comfort...is that still hunting?

I've come to understand that patience, effort (in any form) and accumulated wisdom are the biggest factors in successfully taking game in the outdoors. In the end, having a rub about whether it's called hunting or something else doesn't seem very important. It is what it is to the person doing it.

Omega
02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure why a person's physical movement or comfort (or lack of either) has to be some sort of a criteria for what "hunting" is. If I wade into the ocean and surf cast, I'm fishing. If I drive a really comfortable boat out to a spot on the water where some fancy electronic gadget says fish are waiting for me, and drop a line in, that's consider fishing, too.

Ten years ago, the first time I went wandering around a wildlife management area looking for squirrels, was clueless, except for what I had read in books (no prior hunting tradition in my family). Does that mean I wasn't hunting, because I didn't know anything? When I sat down against a tree to stake out a good spot for squirrels, did I stop hunting? Sitting on a cushion for comfort...is that still hunting?

I've come to understand that patience, effort (in any form) and accumulated wisdom are the biggest factors in successfully taking game in the outdoors. In the end, having a rub about whether it's called hunting or something else doesn't seem very important. It is what it is to the person doing it.Was once preparing a site to hunt after I returned from visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving out of state and was sitting on the corner of a wooden stand outside my blind with two rounds in the rifle looking for somewhere to shoot to confirm zero. Wearing jeans, black and white shirt and tennis shoes, warden walked up charged me with hunting over bait (corn feeder has to be removed 10 days prior) and the judge agreed. No matter that I had all my camo and two full boxes of ammo in the truck and had been watering all my fruit trees and generally making all kinds of noise all day; I was hunting. Lost my favorite .270, lawyer fees, and a year of hunting privileges due to their interpretation of hunting. So now I "hunt" in my 8x8 blind and make sure there is no question as to when I am hunting.

white eagle
02-11-2015, 06:45 PM
You fellas are spoiled. I hang in a ladder stand with all the weather.
They can be on the ground too because deer get used to a structure. Raising one lets you see farther and shoot farther. I have deer in the yard all year and could shoot from my deck. It loses something about hunting so I will not do it. Spot and stalk or track in snow is hunting. Even a stand you are not hidden in is hunting.
I have squirrels at my bird feeder all the time so should I lift a window to shoot them?
When the mulberries are falling in my yard, I take my little dog for a potty and she will sit and watch deer. They have come within 10' of us. I could take a gun, kill it and brag about how great a hunter I am, like the video shows on TV. How about a dish and TV to watch next?

Awe c'mon Jim
there are definite advantages to being comfortable while on stand all day
you can be alot more choosey when it comes to hunting you don't have to shoot the first one because your cold
tv won't be able to watch for deer then ya got to know when to say when

white eagle
02-11-2015, 06:52 PM
my main stand is 6'x7' with 7'walls its 10' off the ground that doesn't include the 2'deck
it has a roof with shingles complete with camo netting with radar scrambling inserts
I used to have a bench seat for when my young son hunted with me but got rid of that and installed a shooting ledge and now have a swivel chair for the shooter oh almost forgot the carpeted floor don't want to make any noise ya know

Blanket
02-11-2015, 08:31 PM
You can sleep on the ground with leaves over you in the winter but why would you want to? I could shoot a deer from my porch every day of the year and alot of times coming back from the blind they are within 50 yards from the house. Fact of the matter is I am getting to old to sit and be uncomfortable while doing what I love to do. By the way I hunted out of minimal stands for 30 years

rbstern
02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Was once preparing a site to hunt after I returned from visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving out of state and was sitting on the corner of a wooden stand outside my blind with two rounds in the rifle looking for somewhere to shoot to confirm zero. Wearing jeans, black and white shirt and tennis shoes, warden walked up charged me with hunting over bait (corn feeder has to be removed 10 days prior) and the judge agreed. No matter that I had all my camo and two full boxes of ammo in the truck and had been watering all my fruit trees and generally making all kinds of noise all day; I was hunting. Lost my favorite .270, lawyer fees, and a year of hunting privileges due to their interpretation of hunting. So now I "hunt" in my 8x8 blind and make sure there is no question as to when I am hunting.

Why did you lose your .270? Did you have to forfeit it for hunting over bait? That seems excessive. Could you have asked for jury trial?

buckwheatpaul
02-12-2015, 07:28 AM
I've built 2 - 4 x 8 blinds .... works great for one person and good for two.....consider putting the door on the side so you have max. working windows on the long side and good window on the non-door side and a small window, above the door.....post pictures so we can drool and steal ideas...good luck....

44man
02-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Awe c'mon Jim
there are definite advantages to being comfortable while on stand all day
you can be alot more choosey when it comes to hunting you don't have to shoot the first one because your cold
tv won't be able to watch for deer then ya got to know when to say when
I have to say you are right, getting old leads me more and more to comfort. I gave up self climbers and tree sticks for ladder stands. I no longer walk for miles either. Even hate to carry a rifle now.
I spent hours in open stands with rain, turned to freezing, ice and snow. I don't want to do over.
I might gather scrap to build a blind.

Omega
02-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Why did you lose your .270? Did you have to forfeit it for hunting over bait? That seems excessive. Could you have asked for jury trial?
Yes, they confiscate it on site and never give it back. I suppose if I was found not guilty I might have, but who knows now. As for jury trial. not sure I suppose its possible but I figured the judge would of had some common sense. As it is I lost around $1500 over it and prolonging it would of cost more. As I told the warden, I fought for 21 years defending our rights, I'd be damned if I would plead guilty and give up my rights voluntarily.

Back on topic; I am looking to make a couple more blinds out at my place and will make one 4x6 with possibly making it a polygon shape (stop sign)but squared off in the back. I found that when alone (almost always) I can't see out of all the windows at the same time so this way I can sit in the middle and look out of three sides without movement. And I found a real good way of bracing the legs; its a corner brace for a barbed wire fence using wire, brace pins and tensioners; it keeps my 8x8 real steady, that and 2' in the ground with cement helps. It can be tightened up easily and you don't have to be worried about nail or screws getting loose.

Like this but an x instead of one.

For the windows I used channels with plexiglass which slides up and down. I use a pin to stop it midway or fully open and a sheet of corrugated plastic the same size as the plexiglass for outside since I found that the plexiglass would frost up in the cold and you could not see outside unless it was open. First thing I do is raise all the covers leaving the plexiglass closed, this way, once I see the deer, I slide the window up to make my shot and it works great since I can keep the wind from freezing me. I thought I may not get time to raise it, but most deer slowly make their way across and give me plenty of time and the sliding plexiglass don't make much sound.

CLAYPOOL
02-12-2015, 11:06 PM
There is lots of things to watch in comfort while in a deer tower. Hang some wren house under the eves for entertainment....

rbstern
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Yes, they confiscate it on site and never give it back. I suppose if I was found not guilty I might have, but who knows now. As for jury trial. not sure I suppose its possible but I figured the judge would of had some common sense. As it is I lost around $1500 over it and prolonging it would of cost more. As I told the warden, I fought for 21 years defending our rights, I'd be damned if I would plead guilty and give up my rights voluntarily.

Trusting a judge...luck of the draw. Judges are, politically speaking, all over the map. I trust a jury of my peers far more than I trust a single judge. Don't know when this took place, but you probably have appeal rights. Yeah, it's expensive and time consuming, but no way I'd lay down for having my property confiscated for what amounts to a civil rules violation or a minor misdemeanor. That's wrong to the core.

Back on topic; I am looking to make a couple more blinds out at my place and will make one 4x6 with possibly making it a polygon shape (stop sign)but squared off in the back. I found that when alone (almost always) I can't see out of all the windows at the same time so this way I can sit in the middle and look out of three sides without movement. And I found a real good way of bracing the legs; its a corner brace for a barbed wire fence using wire, brace pins and tensioners; it keeps my 8x8 real steady, that and 2' in the ground with cement helps. It can be tightened up easily and you don't have to be worried about nail or screws getting loose.

Like this but an x instead of one.

Nothing wrong with the wire bracing, but I'd be nervous about sitting atop anything supported only by a single fastener at each post. That beam should be resting on notches in the posts.

Omega
02-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Trusting a judge...luck of the draw. Judges are, politically speaking, all over the map. I trust a jury of my peers far more than I trust a single judge. Don't know when this took place, but you probably have appeal rights. Yeah, it's expensive and time consuming, but no way I'd lay down for having my property confiscated for what amounts to a civil rules violation or a minor misdemeanor. That's wrong to the core.

Nothing wrong with the wire bracing, but I'd be nervous about sitting atop anything supported only by a single fastener at each post. That beam should be resting on notches in the posts.
The pic is to illustrate the wire, the cross members on mine sit atop the uprights held in place by lag bolts. The joists go across those, then deck boards go across the joists. I used diagonal boards as braces at first but the screws eventually loosened up so I installed the wires instead. I put it on three sides, the front I used standard corner brace like on a fence corner. I have the opening at the bottom so need the front open. I'll add pics here later.

39duck
02-13-2015, 01:52 PM
I built mine 6'x8' is super comfortable for 2 people and an occasional my 5 yr old goes with us too. I wanted to be able to move mine if possible, so it will fit on my utility trailer. I set mine on blocks after I leveled them up. Everthing exposed on the bottom is treated and I had a ton of OSB already so I painted it. Windows are hinged and open outward.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah314/Mike_Pritchard/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/264d6563-240f-4922-ab5a-150f9cad7934_zpsfmzqc8qk.jpg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Pritchard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/264d6563-240f-4922-ab5a-150f9cad7934_zpsfmzqc8qk.jpg.html)
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah314/Mike_Pritchard/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/d40fb704-1329-45c6-9f75-041d109c99c1_zpshtz6zkby.jpg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/Mike_Pritchard/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/d40fb704-1329-45c6-9f75-041d109c99c1_zpshtz6zkby.jpg.html)

Geezer in NH
02-15-2015, 08:10 PM
For many years I hated stands to hunt from as I liked to stalk or still hunt. Now I am 63 with debilitating arthritis and diabetes with nerve problems. MY stand now is a GMC Sierra 4x4 truck.

crabo
02-17-2015, 12:31 AM
ditto ..find some telly phone poles for the legs ..

This is my BIL's...

Omega
02-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Here is mine a few years ago when I first built it, before cutting the windows.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/e66f7e4620b56db6c778147f91664375.jpg

44man
02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I want to hunt with you guys, hot coffee and bacon an eggs.

39duck
02-18-2015, 01:39 AM
I want to hunt with you guys, hot coffee and bacon an eggs.
Not so much bacon and eggs, but the heater is my friend!

44man
02-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Do you guys have a bar and fridge? Some look so good There must be more!

Hickok
02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
131307Another option that I use is the "Dog House Blind" with a propane heater and a nice chair, works in rain, zero degree weather and it is easily portable. Not as good as a "condo" type build, but it is comfortable.

white eagle
02-19-2015, 05:55 PM
I was going to put a small wood stove I have in my tower
but it is too heavy for me to pull it up into

white eagle
02-19-2015, 05:59 PM
I haven't had to many problems with critters although I did
chase out a coon once and have had numerous wasp bee nests
now I shake the ladder when I climb into it as to announce my presence
and hopefully evict any riff-raff before I get up there

nanuk
02-21-2015, 08:56 PM
I use a portable ground blind with a heater built in

it is on 4 wheels so is easily moved from one location to another. It has a small kitchen built on the back

I believe it was made by General Motors Corp.

It has roll down windows that you can shoot out of.

I have another one made by Toyota, but it hasn't got a campe... er... I mean a kitchen built into it.

44man
02-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Many states say you can't shoot from your vehicle but a house on stilts is OK. I get confused.
I remember duck hunting when a motor could not be used but a canoe was OK. A paddle was fine or floating a river. Shooting deer from a canoe was fine but don't drive a car and shoot from them.
Can't bait but shoot a corn field for anything. My state says we can bait and shoot deer but not a turkey. I can hunt a corn field but can't put out corn for a turkey. Geese are hunted over grain fields but never put out grain. Feeding areas and food plots are OK, so are apple trees.
Animals are shot where they feed. Legal but don't put out feed.
I broke the law when apple trees did not have a crop so I brought apples to my tree. What is the difference? Can't shoot over feed or salt but you can hunt trials to the feed and salt, PA but in WV you can shoot over each. But can't shoot a turkey over corn but you can in a corn field.
Food plots are legal but a pile of corn means jail time. Bears are baited but some states it is not legal. Can't bait a bear in WV. Put out corn, salt or apples for deer but do not shoot a turkey or bear. Food plots are legal so sit in a house and shoot anything. Shooting a bean, corn or clover field is OK but not if you put out the same food? Laws are stupid.

Make my day
03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I built mine on a hill, 8' to platform and 12'x16'. Full stairs in bottom to top, 4 corners cemented in place. single slope roof, windows on each side. I have hunted 4 people with room for more and we can cover nearly 80 Acres in farm country. The bottom has barn doors on one end that open to allow a four wheeler to pull in out of site. for two or 3 hunters comfortable, I would go 6 ' by 8' anyway.

Tenbender
05-22-2015, 09:11 PM
140187 Condo with parking garage. Sitting on a ridge . Shooting distance 100 + yrd's on 3 sides. 40 - 50 yrd.s on 1 side. About a 10 min. 4 wheeler ride from the highway.
Finished it up this spring. 6'X6' inside fully insulated. There's a 25 year old 4'X4' hut I had been using about 30 feet away.

Last Year !

turmech
05-25-2015, 11:26 PM
This is mine around 7 years old now. It sits on 10' 4"x4" post. IIRC it is 5'x8'. If considering bow hunting out of it 5 feet would be the min needed to draw the bow (at least for me). Window height is 32" off the floor if I did it over again I would lower that 2" for bow hunting. The stairs were done for my FIL (not the most agile) who did take my boys from time to time. The legs attache with Elevator brand brackets which are a little price but make for a very safe sturdy connection and tilt the legs out in two directions for stability. It is achorded to the ground with cable and 2-3 feet earth anchors. I installed some cheap carpet on the floor for sound. Two old office chairs do nicely when I don't nod off. I had an on the wall heater but if failed last season and I replaced it with the smaller buddy heater. Very comfortable and although to me it feels a little like cheating it sure make it easy to get out of bed on those cold wet mornings knowing I am going to be warm and dry.

I have built several 4x4 (and two can fit but you must be good friends) but this is the best and for me the size was perfect. Much bigger and getting it up would have been a challenge. I built it on the ground tilted it over. put the legs on and rigged chain falls in trees to lift it.

oldblinddog
05-30-2015, 04:34 PM
...not mine, of course. :2 drunk buddies:

DougGuy
05-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I spent hours in open stands with rain, turned to freezing, ice and snow.

Did the exact same thing many times, put the climber on the tree the night before, beat 1/4" of ice off it the next am, had the weather change 4x before I got to the height I hunt at. Mountains in Virginia, Rockbridge County. AWESOME deer though, raised on corn, wild mast, and alfalfa, it don't get much better.

Tenbender
05-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Do you guys have a bar and fridge? Some look so good There must be more!
No fridge but a gas fired coffee pot !! Bar ? That's a good idea !! :kidding:

slim1836
05-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Just wishing this was mine.

Slim

rondog
05-30-2015, 11:33 PM
I'd just be happy to have a place to go hunting. I'd sit on a bucket with a blanket wrapped around me if I had to, if I only had a place where I could go. People like me have to rely on public lands, where I'm more likely to end up as someone else's target.

pappy4
05-31-2015, 09:39 AM
The tree stands we built on our land you could stay for a week if you wanted too, big enough for 4 of us to sit in and have steps going up to them. 16ft up but the deer here in pa don't mind. Forgot to shut the door one time and went down with one of the grandsons for a walk and when we got up to where we could see it there was a mom ma coon and 3 kids standing in the doorway they liked it for there home too. 40 acres of land all woods on a mountain closest house is 100yrds and my sister bro 300 in the other direction, can't see sis house at all till fall. With corn feed deer its nice to live in the sticks,but a 100 yard driveway can be a bear in the snow.

Tenbender
05-31-2015, 03:57 PM
I'd just be happy to have a place to go hunting. I'd sit on a bucket with a blanket wrapped around me if I had to, if I only had a place where I could go. People like me have to rely on public lands, where I'm more likely to end up as someone else's target.

Come on out to Va. There's 5 huts on the property and I'm the only one using one !!

Whit Spurzon
06-09-2015, 11:20 PM
We've got lots of great hunting in our area but honestly THE best spot is probably my front porch of my cabin.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/une9mooserail.jpg

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/une9moose2.jpg

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/uly9welevation.jpg

06-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Not to highjack the thread or anything, but that is a really nice cabin! Generous roof overhangs - you, sir, know how to build a cabin.

Afro408
06-10-2015, 10:55 PM
I was going to put a small wood stove I have in my tower
but it is too heavy for me to pull it up into
Hi, White eagle,
Make yourself one of these and you'll be able to haul it up into the blind easily.
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss122/243myra/P7150027.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/243myra/media/P7150027.jpg.html)
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss122/243myra/P7150026.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/243myra/media/P7150026.jpg.html)
I made this one, from a 4kg gas bottle, to heat up my workshop and it's very good. Keeps me warm on winter days.:-)

borg
06-11-2015, 01:11 AM
With something like this, doesn't produce a lot of smoke, doesn't seem like it would be good for deer hunting.
I have one of the Mr Heaters I use in my blind. have to take off the jacket when fired up.

ETA I also noticed that I tend to nod off if above 50 degs.

Hi, White eagle,
Make yourself one of these and you'll be able to haul it up into the blind easily.
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss122/243myra/P7150027.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/243myra/media/P7150027.jpg.html)
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss122/243myra/P7150026.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/243myra/media/P7150026.jpg.html)
I made this one, from a 4kg gas bottle, to heat up my workshop and it's very good. Keeps me warm on winter days.:-)

white eagle
06-11-2015, 10:38 AM
looks like a fantastic idea
keep my eyes open for a cylinder

rbstern
09-21-2015, 12:18 AM
Well, we started building back in early August. Took us the better part of 4 weekends. We've put the paint on today. Just have to build a permanent ladder or stairs.

From about 100 yards:

Final interior dimensions are 8x7, with a 30" side porch on the door side. Looking forward to the season.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with helpful comments and encouragement.

smoked turkey
09-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Ah very nice. Glad to see that you followed through on it. You will not be disappointed! You will really like it when the rain is coming down and the air temp is a little cool. I find it to be very nice even in a snow event. Good therapy. I usually hunt from a ground blind during turkey, but I have been known to slip in there to bag one occasionally. Squirrels too, and I shot a very nice coyote from mine last season with my 50 cal muzzleloader.

baogongmeo
09-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Well, we started building back in early August. Took us the better part of 4 weekends. We've put the paint on today. Just have to build a permanent ladder or stairs.

From about 100 yards:

Final interior dimensions are 8x7, with a 30" side porch on the door side. Looking forward to the season.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with helpful comments and encouragement.

Go with the stairs, as you get older you'll be glad you did.

I ran a piece of 2" pvc from the top of my stairs down into a posthole that I then put a couple of feet of creek gravel in and filled the rest of the way with dirt. I then put a 2" pvc 45 on the end followed with a 2" to 4" bell with a short section of 4" and a cap. A handy urinal that gets used quite often and doesn't disturb the deer.