PDA

View Full Version : RCBS thermometer.

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Hi,
I have the bad feeling my RCBS thermometer is way off. Ambient temperature at the moment of photo was 79F and the thermometer is reading about 0F (note: it's not reading 970F). The thermometer isn't that old. Anything I can do to fix it? I have no job at the moment and almost broke, I can't afford to buy another one at the moment. I hope to fix it myself if possible but I don't know how to open it. Any help on this matter will be appreciated, best regards!

largom
02-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Put the thermometer in boiling water. Should read about 212 Deg.

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Put the thermometer in boiling water. Should read about 212 Deg.

I'll do it right now and I'll post the results. Thanks!

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Full boil reading. Doesn't look good, I've never dropped or mishandled the thermometer. Which are my options now?

theperfessor
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
I'd start with a polite conversation with the Service department at RCBS. They have a pretty good rep for making things right.

largom
02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
As theperfessor said. I am sure RCBS will replace it if you send it back to them.

Larry

Hardcast416taylor
02-09-2015, 05:10 PM
RCBS - 1-800-533-5000

Robert

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys, I'll contact RCBS and hope for the best. :)

bhn22
02-09-2015, 05:41 PM
But what does it read in molten lead? The reason you see it in negative numbers is because the internal coil is at full rest. This thermostat won't start to read temps accurately until they get pretty high. probably over around 2-300 degrees. My Lyman thermometer does exactly the same thing. The fact that it moved at all is a good sign. If you're in the mountains, the altitude would affect the boiling point for water, dropping it dramatically. Water boils in Denver for example, at just under 200 degrees F.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html

Mike W1
02-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Usually there's a nut on the back side of the thermometer. If there is put it in boiling water and adjust accordingly.

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 06:36 PM
But what does it read in molten lead? The reason you see it in negative numbers is because the internal coil is at full rest. This thermostat won't start to read temps accurately until they get pretty high. probably over around 2-300 degrees. My Lyman thermometer does exactly the same thing. The fact that it moved at all is a good sign. If you're in the mountains, the altitude would affect the boiling point for water, dropping it dramatically. Water boils in Denver for example, at just under 200 degrees F.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boiling-points-water-altitude-d_1344.html

. In my case when I see the lead start to melt the reading of the thermometer is around 450F (lead melting point is around 621F) so it's +/- 171F off the mark.
. My elevation is a little over 175' above sea level.

I'm planning to cast some bullets this week and I can give more precise numbers.

171F off the mark is acceptable or I'm too anal about this?

***edited***
I meant 450f not 550F

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Usually there's a nut on the back side of the thermometer. If there is put it in boiling water and adjust accordingly.

No nut unfortunately (I think) What do you think?

Jon K
02-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Just send it back, with a note saying it's acting goofy...they will replace it NO CHARGE.

Great Customer Service!!!

Jon

RogerDat
02-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Give them a chance to make it right, they have a good reputation for doing just that. And no 171 degrees margin of error is not good. It is enough to have zinc WW's melting in your "700 degree" lead.

ruizhernandeztrust
02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Give them a chance to make it right, they have a good reputation for doing just that. And no 171 degrees margin of error is not good. It is enough to have zinc WW's melting in your "700 degree" lead.

That's my fear, ruin a batch of bullets for not using the correct temperature.

Okay,
I'll contact them, explain the problem and return it.

Jon K
02-09-2015, 09:58 PM
I just had one replaced within the last 6 months...had it in 10 days.

Jon

Doggonekid
02-11-2015, 01:01 AM
I have been thinking about getting me a temp gage for my casting. When I get one it will be RCBS. I have the RCBS pro melt, it has a gage on it. I have no clue how accurate it is. But I can tell when the lead is too hot and when it to cold. Back to your gage I would call RCBS and send it back I agree with everyone else RCBS will make it right. They are a great company to work with.

bhn22
02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
The numbers on the dial are meaningless. They're simply reference points with no correlation to any temperature.

Mike W1
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
I have been thinking about getting me a temp gage for my casting. When I get one it will be RCBS. I have the RCBS pro melt, it has a gage on it. I have no clue how accurate it is. But I can tell when the lead is too hot and when it to cold. Back to your gage I would call RCBS and send it back I agree with everyone else RCBS will make it right. They are a great company to work with.
I'd suggest a thermometer from Brownells. The guarantee is just as good and theirs is adjustable. Frankly having most all this stuff myself I'd suggest a VOM with a thermocouple as being a much better option than a stem thermometer!

ruizhernandeztrust
02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
The numbers on the dial are meaningless. They're simply reference points with no correlation to any temperature.

Then what's the point of having a thermometer in the first place if I can't trust these numbers. Now I'm clueless.

Mike W1
02-12-2015, 03:51 PM
Then what's the point of having a thermometer in the first place if I can't trust these numbers. Now I'm clueless.

Stem thermometers can be calibrated to be pretty close. There are even those souls that apparently can look at a pot of molten lead and know when the temperature is right or like it was the last time they cast. I'm not one of those folks. I do have 2 PID units and a VOM that reads temperatures though and any one of them gives me better info. They will respond to a couple degree temperature change nearly immediately and I've had all the TC's in a pot at the same time and get a reading within a degree or two of the others so my guess is they're pretty repeatable little rigs. Stems are better than nothing but frankly mine sits pretty much unused since acquiring better technology. There's more accurate means than a thermocouple but TC's so far seem to be best suited for casting needs.

bhn22
02-12-2015, 04:08 PM
. In my case when I see the lead start to melt the reading of the thermometer is around 450F (lead melting point is around 621F) so it's +/- 171F off the mark.
. My elevation is a little over 175' above sea level.

I'm planning to cast some bullets this week and I can give more precise numbers.

171F off the mark is acceptable or I'm too anal about this?

***edited***
I meant 450f not 550F

Did you take it to full temp, when the pot thermostat shuts off? There are hot spots in any pot, that's why the alloy looks like its "sweating" prior to fully melting.

ruizhernandeztrust
02-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Did you take it to full temp, when the pot thermostat shuts off? There are hot spots in any pot, that's why the alloy looks like its "sweating" prior to fully melting.

To be honest no. But in my next casting session I'll take the temp at that point and post the results. I'm using the Lee Pro 4 20LB (700w power) 120v

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2015, 04:40 PM
A few years back I bought 2 boiler gauge thermometers that are a larger size than this RCBS. They have 10" probes and a threaded back on the 4" dial that reads up to 1000 degrees. They were new from a plumber retiring his business. I paid $20 for the pair, I sold 1 of them for $35 several months later to another caster that liked the larger size and range of these. They return to zero degrees after I check my RCBS pot temp and the probe cools down.Robert

ruizhernandeztrust
02-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Update: 2/17/2014

I contacted RCBS Service Rep about my problem and they gave me green light to return the thermometer, now the package is heading to RCBS. Now I need to wait. :popcorn: