PDA

View Full Version : modern scope for side lock muzzle loader

johnson1942
02-09-2015, 10:06 AM
i put this on the muzzle loader section but it may get better results here. sold a nice cast boolit shooting side lock muzzle loader. the man is going to hunt hogs with it and wants a scope on it.so i need the name of a gun smith who can drill and tap the barrel if i send it to him for a modern scope mount. it will make quite a hog gun as it shoots a 400 grain .448 diam bullet at about 1300 to 1400 ft. per sec. that ought to drop them. thanks before hand.

Saltner
02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Hello Roger,
I think any good gunsmith is able to drill the barrel to install bases for optics. If the barrel is cylindrical and constant in its length, it may install a rail sloping base of 20-30 MOA to long shoot... or more costly, weld the base to mount connections releasable.

gunshot98
02-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Think about putting a reddot scope on it about where the rear sight is. They work great for deer, hogs , etc. You have to mount a modern scope high so it will clear the hammer, but it can be done.

johnson1942
02-15-2015, 11:59 AM
a member of cast boolits is going to drill and tap the barrel for mounts and he had me also had me send him the hammer so he can bend the top of it to the side a litttle. the shooter i sold the gun to is going to use it for a hog gun. it will make a good one as it shoots a 400 grain cast bullet started by a starter with 70 grains of powder behind the bullets. its a tackdriver and the same power as a 45/70. plenty good for hogs. it also has a dead mule in the butt stock so recoil isnt noticed at all.