PDA

View Full Version : More newbie ?'s: Pro Melt and mold prep?

Russel Nash
02-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Hi all,

I bought a brand new RCBS Pro Melt and two brand new Lyman 4 cavity moulds a couple of weeks ago.

Is there anything I need to do to either one of them to get them ready for casting?

I'm still waiting on other stuff to be delivered. Some of it is on back order. Like the mould handles.

I'm guessing if that if I was running two moulds at the same time (one in 9, one in 40, or 45) that I need a set of mould handles for each one.

Is that correct?

I still have to order the Star lube-sizer from Magma. I will probably call them in the morning.

Thanks, in advance.

(slight thread drift on)

If I were to run say a 9mm mould and a .45 ACP mould at the same time, alternating between the two, could I dump the still hot bullets in to a bucket full of water, to harden them.

I already have a cobbled together electric brass sorter, so I was thinking when I was done casting, I could dump the 9 and .45 projectiles into my sorter. It should spit out the 9mm boolitts and keep the .45's.

Do I risk dinging up the bullets too much vibrating them that way to sort them out?

I guess my only other option then if I wanted to water harden and run two moulds at the same time is to have two buckets, one for 9 and one for 45.

What say you?

(drift off)

dmftoy1
02-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Is there anything I need to do to either one of them to get them ready for casting?

I'm still waiting on other stuff to be delivered. Some of it is on back order. Like the mould handles.

I'm guessing if that if I was running two moulds at the same time (one in 9, one in 40, or 45) that I need a set of mould handles for each one.

You'll need to clean the mould's prior to using them to remove the protective oils and such. I tend to use brake cleaner and q-tips. (wish there was something better than q-tips)

A set of mould handles per mould is needed unless you like to operate a screwdriver ALOT on very hot steel. :)

You can water drop both bullets together but you'll have to sort them later. (I don't find it a big deal as you need to inspect the bullets for defects anyway) If you do water drop them rig a T-shirt or something over the bucket with a slit in it such that the bullets can fall on the T-shirt and roll down into the slit to fall into the water. (It'll keep splashing and such to a minimum)

Good luck!

Regards,
Dave

crabo
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
If you are just starting to cast, I would recommend to start with one mold and get comfortable casting with it, before you think about casting with 2 at the same time. Slow down and enjoy yourself. If you start out trying for speed, I think you will just complicate things.

I would pick the 45 and cast and load for that. When that is working well, add the 9mm to the list. Then add your next one. I would buy a prepared lube like BAC as a way to cut down on the variables with your first casting project.

I would not want to tumble my bullets that I have cast. It would be easier to sort them as you cast them. Either use two towels or two buckets of water. I wouldn't think that you would need to water drop 45 acp or 9mm.

Go slow and stop to smell the flux every once in a while.

Crabo