PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 Mauser mold suggestions.

BPgunslinger
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
Just picked up a Siamese mauser in 45/70. Looking for what you have had luck with and suggestions for a mold or 2.

country gent
02-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Since every rifle is diffrent as to likes and wants and your sense of recoil muzzle blast. Pick up 25 - 50 bullets in diffrent wieghts and or styles as to your wants and expectaions of this rifle and test them in it see what works and then look for that mould. I tend to run on the heavier side in my 45 cal rifles. 500-550 grns range. First determine the barrels twist rate as this will give an idea of where to start. A chamber cast will also be helpfull with throat and leade of the chamber.

Bigslug
02-09-2015, 01:01 AM
You've got three major things to consider with that rifle:

1. It needs to fit in the magazine, so long, pointy nose options are somewhat restrained.

2. It needs to get up the ramp and into the chamber, so humongous meplats may not be an option.

3. You'll need a bit of crimp on a magazine repeater like that, so pay attention to where the crimp groove on various designs locates your nose.

The RCBS 405-FN-GC has a widespread reputation for accuracy, and the .27" meplat is conservative enough that it should feed fine, yet destructive enough to make a good hunting bullet. If the ramp will allow it, it NOE 405 grainer with the .34" meplat is quite the sledgehammer.

The Lee 405-HB is a copy of the 1873 government pill. Buffalo Arms also makes a copy of the 500gr. 1884 bullet that replaced it. Both are very businesslike slugs, if you're one who's seduced by the look of such things.

longbow
02-09-2015, 03:01 AM
I used to run the Lyman 457125 (500 gr.) in mine with no feeding issues and good accuracy. Recoil was a bit stout with heavy charges under that big boolit though.

I also had a Marlin 1895 so picked up the Lyman 457124 (385 gr.) and a Lee 405 gr. so they would feed through the Marlin (with Marlin load data of course). In the end I settled on the 457124 as a nice shooting boolit for me.

A lot depends on what you want to do with the gun/boolit. For long range shooting the 457125 would be better... or some other long heavy boolit design. If you are recoil sensitive though I have to say they can slap you around some. For hunting a flat nose or HP would be better.