PDA

View Full Version : Casting after a 2 year break.

ditchtiger
02-08-2015, 09:17 PM
I did not have a stash of 9mm slugs so I did a little casting. Been a log time but it all came back to me. The time involved, the smell, saving money, and the the tingling going up my arm. Oh, wait, that last part was not right. The tingling was from my pot shorting to ground with me being the ground. Did I stop? of course not , I'm a guy. Put on some gloves and run the pot out.
Now to order a new pot.

RobS
02-08-2015, 09:19 PM
welcome back..........fix the pot thing though.

gloob
02-08-2015, 09:31 PM
"put on some gloves"

And some thicker shoes. And don't stand on damp concrete!

ditchtiger
02-08-2015, 10:02 PM
welcome back..........fix the pot thing though.

Used this pot heavily for 10 years, fair amount of maintenance. Mine had the bulkhead nuts holding the heating elements that are split and the factory put the split up, caught lead and shorted. That was another repair. My son had someone run some zink in his and ruined it and I used the rheostat to keep mine going. But I guess it's time to let it go. I'm not finding good press on the Lee Pro 4-20, so I may stay with Lee's 10 pounder.

Cherokee
02-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I would go with the 4-20 rather than the 10...been there. The RCBS was my next step up.

bangerjim
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Have had 4-20's for a long time and they work great! I have never had any leaks as some complain about. I do not use flux in them, only beeswax. It does not clog the spigot as can saw dust from what I have seen.

Doggonekid
02-09-2015, 01:30 AM
I have the RCBS pro melt. It was a serious chunk of change. I had to sell a Ruger mark III target pistol to buy it. I think is was a good trade. I have cast about 5,000 boolits in the last two months. I have saved more money on boolits than what I spent on the gun. It was my 3rd Ruger target pistol and I'm sure I will get another one. I know I will never sell my pot. Welcome back to the world of CB.

Mk42gunner
02-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I like the 4-20 over the ten pounder because it is easier for me to ladle from it when I want to cast that way.

The only reason I stopped using my 4-20 is that I bought a Promelt cheap at an auction.

Robert

SSGOldfart
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I did not have a stash of 9mm slugs so I did a little casting. Been a log time but it all came back to me. The time involved, the smell, saving money, and the the tingling going up my arm. Oh, wait, that last part was not right. The tingling was from my pot shorting to ground with me being the ground. Did I stop? of course not , I'm a guy. Put on some gloves and run the pot out.
Now to order a new pot.

no need to order a new pot Scott can fix your old one see his add in the selling /classifieds
found the link for you
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?268606-PID-Photos-and-Info-finally-(lol)-from-Scott-s-Casting-and-Reloading-Restoration

ditchtiger
02-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Went to Cabela's and bought a Lee Pro 4-20 for the same price as the Production Pot IV would have been with shipping. Will give my old pot to my son-in-law to repair/restore.

cajun shooter
02-12-2015, 10:26 AM
I've used wood shavings for over 7 years and they have never clogged my bottom spout on my pot. I was just casting yesterday and if my eyes were working correctly, the wood floats on top. Put some in your pot and push it all the way to the bottom and see what takes place.