PDA

View Full Version : Does anything else shoot like a 1911?

DrCaveman
02-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Since deer, duck, and grouse seasons have wrapped up here, i have been trying real hard to improve my handgun shooting. Ive been trying to stick with one load for each cartridge, but of course that attempt is slippery at best since i only have a small amount of most powders and there is no consistent ability to resupply with what i am looking for

Fortunately i have an 8# keg of (whatever) due to arrive soon so at least i can work some loads, then get some practice with same load

My favorite guns at the moment are my 10.5" super blackhawk (44 mag), my cimarron/pietta new frontier 4.75" (45 colt) and my sti spartan 5" 1911 (45 acp)

Every load combo, every day, every shot string, my 1911 outshoots the others. At any distance. My shooting beyond about 30 yds is spotty, and beyond 50 yds just plain sucks. Still, i can hit a paper plate at 50 yds more consistently with the 1911 as the SBH

SO... What else out there shoots like a 1911? I think the grip angle, height of sights, and straight-pull trigger are responsible for my extreme prejudice toward this firearm.

Are there any revolvers that compare? How about modern semi autos, what is the closest to a 1911?

I know john browning was a genius, and he obviously considered things that others before and since failed to consider. But am i crazy to think that the ergonomics and weight balance could not be translated to the single action revolver arena?

The reloading slide action upon firing must have something to do with it too, as it changes the post-hammer-drop movement of the gun.

In case the answer is: "1911 is simply the best there is", how do lightweight commanders compare in the shooting dept? The new ruger offering is calling my name

dragon813gt
02-08-2015, 07:14 PM
A CZ75 points more naturally than a 1911 for me. They're available in all types of configurations. But what works for me may not work for you. As much as I like my 1911s I pull out the CZ first every time.

45r
02-08-2015, 07:24 PM
S&W or Colt 357 magnum.
Ruger GP-100 is good also.
My old model 27 would shoot 1 inch at 25 yards with most any load.
S&W triggers are second to none.
STI ranger is said to be accurate and the RIA MS shoots good also and not as expensive.
Lots of 4 inch 1911's and commanders will shoot plenty good for SD and make a good EDC.

osteodoc08
02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Sounds like more load development is needed in your Ruger. Consider Bisley grip frame option. Any L or N framed Smith in your caliber of choice would also get my nod.

Love Life
02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
They (1911) are easy guns to shoot. Do any other guns shoot like them? Do you mean as accurately? Sure.

Will the ergonomics be the same for you? Probably not. The only way to find out is to buy more guns!

dragonrider
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
I find that my Browning Hi-Power shoots as well or better than my 1911's, has to do with the size of the gun, it has a fatter grip, fits my hand better.

str8wal
02-08-2015, 09:54 PM
The EAA Witness guns, CZ clones, do point similarily but there is nothing quite like that 1911 trigger.

DrCaveman
02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
I find that my Browning Hi-Power shoots as well or better than my 1911's, has to do with the size of the gun, it has a fatter grip, fits my hand better.

I figured the hi-power would be mentioned, but unfortunately ive never shot one and they are priced pretty high when i can find one. A fatter grip is NOT what i need, in fact i think the slim grip of the 1911 is a big part of the reason i shoot it so well.

I owned a cz97 in 45 acp. Sent it down the road within a few months of owning the 1911, the difference (to me) was stark

I really like the grip angle on my imi baby eagle 9mm, which seems to be a jericho 941 which is a combo of cz75 and 1911 engineering, from what i understand. That gun will never leave me...it's my only gun with NO failures of any kind in its lifetime, and it is a club to boot. SHTF it will be on my hip. (while the 1911 rides inside the waistband a bit further back...)

But the trigger on the da/sa imi gun is nothing compared to the staged squeeze of the 1911

I have a ruger gp-100, smith model 19 too. To me, they dont shoot nearly as well as the 1911.

Yes, im talking accuracy. Not from ransom rest, but in the 2-handed off-hand version of handgun shooting that i like to practice.

Any other suggestions? I know this is all personal, so i am asking you other fans of the 1911 platform which guns, if any, feel the same to shoot as a 1911. Maybe im not phrasing my question properly, but.. .yeah, it's mostly about the straight trigger pull, and the relationship of grip angle to sight height. Secondary is the recoil character of round being shot

Thanks for all the replies so far

GhostHawk
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
For me the CZ-52 points exactly where I want it to, the 1911 seems to start 6-8 inches high and I have to bring it down.

I have a couple of homemade snap caps, and I play a little game in the living room when my wife is at work.

Pull the clip, chamber a snap cap, hammer back ready to go.

Pick an object like one of the knickknacks on the shelves.
Close my eyes, point and as the hammer drops look to see how close I was to my target.

Or, point with eyes closed and see how fast I can adjust and fire.
With a little practice you can get down to a couple of seconds.

At the range my CZ-52 groups where significantly smaller at all distances.
Although I think with a consistent load and more practice I think I could shrink those.

I suspect the the Springfield Armory XDS series may be what you are looking for.
And I saw someone had a 1911 clone shooting .38 special/.357 mags which seemed pretty interesting.

bhn22
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Lessee... Square butt S&W K & L frames. Colt "O" frames, Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans or Toklats. Beretta 92s & 96s. Generally, the grips make all the difference in a revolver. I tried almost every grip make for S&W J frames before settling on Pachmayer Compac Professionals. Hogue finger groove or non-fingergroove on square butt S&Ws, wood only of course. Revolvers generally have a pretty high bore axis, and that can be bothersome to some people.

harley45
02-09-2015, 12:47 AM
They don't get much press anymore but I really like my Sigs, not as well as my 1911s but very close. I have some of the traditional DA/SA guns with the short trigger and short trigger reset and they do shoot very well. Might be worth a look.

btroj
02-09-2015, 01:08 AM
CZ75 is just an awesome pointing handgun.

jr612
02-09-2015, 01:17 AM
The Ruger 22/45 was designed to feel like a 1911, I'm not sure it's what you're looking for but it's an option.

Piedmont
02-09-2015, 01:37 AM
K frame .38 Specials are also very user-friendly and accurate.

JHeath
02-09-2015, 02:07 AM
It's well known that the Tokarev pistols are a design improvement on the 1911. Also that the 1911 and other supposed "Browning" designs were copied from famous Russian designer Regus Patoff.

therealhitman
02-09-2015, 03:05 AM
It's well known that the Tokarev pistols are a design improvement on the 1911. Also that the 1911 and other supposed "Browning" designs were copied from famous Russian designer Regus Patoff.

I think you are confusing him with Irish inventor Pat Pending...

historicfirearms
02-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Try a sig p220. They are a single stack 45 in a DA/SA action. Most people report exceptional accuracy from them, and my German made version is no exception. The single action trigger is about the best I have felt on a stock semi auto pistol.

Lead Fred
02-09-2015, 07:17 AM
Mind you I have only shot Colt 1911s since the 60s.
A friend let me shoot his P220 Sig, its now the only handgun in the safe.
Puts any and every 1911 Ive ever shot to shame

They can have it, when they pry it from my cold dead hands

Groo
02-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Groo here
I find the 1911 points like a double action revolver , where as a luger ,glock etc points like a single action revolver.
It is the hump on the grip of a smith that gives you a more right angle bore to grip feel like a 1911.
The single action [ not the Bisley, that is more upright] points naturally and this also translates to the luger.

flyingrhino
02-09-2015, 10:16 AM
1911's just feel right in the hand. CZ75's and EAA Witness clones also feel good but the trigger isn't anything like the 1911. I've got a 9mm Witness that I used for competition. I love it but I'd get rid of it before I'd ever get rid of one of my 1911's.

Omega
02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
I don't know about the fat grip part but my hi-power is a tack driver and almost brings itself back down on target. My Kimber shoots real nice, but I have to keep it under control, it tends to want to jump more than the hi-power. But we are talking 9mm vs .45 here, and .45 vs .44 mag; that alone accounts for some of the differences. I was just at the range with my recently acquired SBH and I have to say its a good thing it has some good grips and that it is a single action. I only fired it six times and had about a 10" spread at 6" high from POA at 50 Yards, I would not want to try shooting it as a double action even if it was capable. I think it all boils down to what you own and what you are better with, and of course what you practice more with.

MakeMineA10mm
02-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I'll say something controversial, but it's honest.

I've committed a significant portion of my youth and middle age, and a great deal of income to becoming a half-way decent pistol shooter. I also wanted to gain some broad experience, so I bought double-action semi-autos, single-action semi-autos, DA revolvers, SA revolvers, and several to many brands of each of those types and calibers from 22LR to 460S&W. I probably own a couple hundred handguns at the moment. (I honestly have no idea...) Since I began qualifying through various LE agencies in 1989, I've never shot below 489/500, and have shot perfect scores several times. Not bragging, just wanted to say that so you know I've got a little experience and a little skill. There's plenty of people better than I, but I'd say I'm in the 90-95% range of good shots. That said, here's my take on handgun accuracy:

You have to be a pretty darn good shooter to tell the difference in accuracy between most pistols. I can pick up any handgun and shoot it pretty close to it's mechanical capability of being shot. Grip size and shape doesn't matter. You just adjust your grip to accommodate the shape. Sights suck? Don't matter; keep your focus on the front sight and concentrate on your trigger press. High bore axis? Yeah, it'll rock in your hand, but increase your isometric tension and recognize your follow-through's importance.

Once you get to the point that poor skills are not effecting accuracy, then you can worry about the various guns' characteristics (but at that point, you'll find those don't matter so much any more). So, why did I answer your post this way? Because if you're still talking about grips and sights and what model gun fits your hand, etc., you haven't improved your skills enough to worry about those characteristics. Handguns are the most difficult type of guns to shoot well, so people look for equipment-based changes to improve shooting them, when none of that makes any difference, compared to their skill.

I can take any modern, out-of-the-box handgun, and shoot it into a 3" bullseye at 50 ft. I was just issued a new Glock 21SF at work, and took it out to fire 100 rds through it to break it in and make sure the sights were on (of course they were). First 13 rd magazine was a ragged 1.5" hole at 7 yards (in 16-degree temperature and with 6" of snow just finishing falling on us - yeah it sucked, but it was still at the range, which is better than being in the office).

The marksmanship skills (stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control, follow-through) are completely transferrable and the shape of the grip, style of sights, type of trigger (bow vs. fulcrum), caliber of the gun, type of action (semi-, revolver, single-shot, whatever), mean very little.

Now, all that said, I will give my one experience with shockingly good accuracy. In the mid- to late-90s I found a Walther P88C for a great price (I think they were blowing them out because the P99 was coming), and bought one. Took it to the range with my handloads (124gr LRN and 4.5grs W231 in mixed cases), and proceeded to shoot a 1.75" x 2.0" 25 shot group at 25 yards, standing. I'll admit it surprised me, but I did it again and again with that pistol. That's when it dawned on me that my skills had outpaced the mechanical limits of accuracy of my other pistols. That Walther's lock-up was just better than the other brands I owned. It's still my most-accurate pistol. It is as accurate as my best revolvers.

And, that's the other thing I will say, which is a generality: Revolvers are generally always more accurate than auto-pistols. When I shot both my S&W686 and my Glock20 on the same day during qualifications, my scores were always slightly higher with the revolver. And, I'm a semi-auto guy, but the revolver is mechanically more accurate. In my opinion, it is because the barrel is fixed to the frame which is where your hand grips the gun. Therefore, you have more mechanical and control over the barrel and front sight via your skills, because of that fixed relationship.

Hope that helps. It's not meant as a criticism in any way. I just want to help people save money wasted on chasing some magical combination of grip or sights and look at the real need: skills. If you have skills, the other stuff doesn't matter. You are better off spending money on a good 22LR and a reasonable-quality revolver and shooting, and shooting, and shooting. Get a good instructor, if you're struggling.

Springfield
02-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I shoot the most accurate with my k frame Smiths. Maybe because that is what I learned to shoot with, plus the PD experience as we had S&W '66's. The grip does make a difference for fast follow-up shots, but I gotta go with MakeMineA 10mm. Back when I drove an Armored truck, and was the rangemaster of our little 3 lane range, I used to shoot all kinds of stuff. My favorite thing to do was when I got some new to me gun, usually old Mil-Surp stuff, I would challenge the guys with all their new wonder nines, winner take the others gun. No one ever took me up on it as they knew better! Or there would be guys at the range, saying what a piece of **** their new gun was. I always took their gun and shot Way better than them. I kept telling them, focus on your basic skills, and PRACTICE, as I didn't want them shooting me instead of the bad guy. Slow timed fire is jsut not that difficult if you follow the accepted rules of proper shooting. I like my 1911's, my Hi-powers, my Smith and Ruger revolvers, and all the old and weird pistols I have accumulated over the years. One of the most accurate shooters I have is my Astra in 9mm largo. Also the ugliest gun I have. Or my *** looking Star PD, can't seem to miss with that. But I do have to concentrate on my hold as neither one comes easily. Practice is the key, but proper practice.

LUBEDUDE
02-09-2015, 04:09 PM
I have a lot of pistols and revolvers as well. Trying to find one that shoots like a 1911 will lead to disappointments.

But if a gun were put to my head and I had to choose, I would have to say the Browning Hi-power.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-09-2015, 04:38 PM
I just shot night quals with my PD. All these young guys with their gun mounted lights and optics and trittium sights didn't give them a score better than my 1911 with iron sights. Most of the other guys shoot a -what are they called? Gluck? Glack?

Bigslug
02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
All these lengthy answers. . .

I'll just stick with "No".

GaryN
02-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I also like revolvers better from an accuracy standpoint. Some are better than others. I think you can also get a 1911 that is quite accurate but you might have to pay more for it. The 1911s are fun to shoot and from a self defense standpoint in my opinion they are better.

JHeath
02-09-2015, 10:57 PM
. . . You have to be a pretty darn good shooter to tell the difference in accuracy between most pistols. I can pick up any handgun and shoot it pretty close to it's mechanical capability of being shot. Grip size and shape doesn't matter. You just adjust your grip to accommodate the shape. Sights suck? Don't matter; keep your focus on the front sight and concentrate on your trigger press. High bore axis? Yeah, it'll rock in your hand, but increase your isometric tension and recognize your follow-through's importance. . . .

. . . Once you get to the point that poor skills are not effecting accuracy, then you can worry about the various guns' characteristics (but at that point, you'll find those don't matter so much any more). So, why did I answer your post this way? Because if you're still talking about grips and sights and what model gun fits your hand, etc., you haven't improved your skills enough to worry about those characteristics. Handguns are the most difficult type of guns to shoot well, so people look for equipment-based changes to improve shooting them, when none of that makes any difference, compared to their skill. . .

. . . Hope that helps. It's not meant as a criticism in any way. I just want to help people save money wasted on chasing some magical combination of grip or sights and look at the real need: skills. If you have skills, the other stuff doesn't matter. You are better off spending money on a good 22LR and a reasonable-quality revolver and shooting, and shooting, and shooting. Get a good instructor, if you're struggling.

Amen. This is an high-quality comment on a forum where the average is far above average. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

I bought a used Hi Power with a typically mediocre trigger. Took it to the range and shot so-so with it, knowing that the limitations were mine, plus the pistol needed a trigger job. I chatted with a young range officer (former Marine buddy of my brother), and suggested he could probably do better. He picked it up, shot the center out of a target, handed it back and said, "You're right. That trigger is a bear, but it *will shoot*."

DrCaveman
02-10-2015, 03:05 AM
Good comments, thanks. Spending money on new guns is not something i need to do right now, tempting as it always is. Im figuring to dump a rifle which gets shot very little for a new handgun, if at all...

I hear what is being said about handgun proficiency and the "magical gun" that will cure all accuracy problems

My intention is to work on handgun shooting skills with a tool that i know to work well for me. I will also practice with other guns that seem more difficult for me to shoot accurately, but at this stage of my handgun shooting development, i need the reinforcement provided by some shots hitting the center bull (when i expect them to) to maintain confidence.

What can i say, i like to do well at things. Intentionally making myself struggle when an easier, honest, repsectable solution exists seems masochistic.

Ill keep practicing with my 45 colt and super blackhawk; ill keep feeling good about myself and my shooting abilities by shooting my 1911. And ill save up for the ruger lightweight commander. Hopefully i get enough quality shots downrange in the next decade or so to be able to shoot all guns as well as 1911s

Handloader109
02-10-2015, 09:25 AM
A bunch of great posts, and as I'm not that great a shot, I'll go practice more.
But Drcaveman, you posted you heard what was being said, but a couple of lines after you contradicted that statement. If you are equating practice with making yourself struggle, ten you heard,but didn't UNDERSTAND!

You've got the disease, the gotta have the new gun fever, the ruger is calling your name in the hope it will make you shoot better. The solution is not that commander. It is sending lead down the range:-)

MtGun44
02-11-2015, 11:45 AM
One of the reasons that the 1911 has endured for so long is superb ergonomics.
I find that the Browning HiPower is a reasonable approximation, but certainly
not the same.

The Ruger 22/45 is a redesigned .22 Standard Auto made to duplicate the grip
angle, and with the newest ones with the screw on grips, the grip size of the
1911. If you get the 5" bull barrel the balance is good, too. I have recommended
this as a trainer gun for several friends and all are pleased to shoot (formerly)
cheap and easy to find (darn it!) .22 LR in practice and then .45 for more
serious and expensive ammo training plus for self defense use.

Bill

Char-Gar
02-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Handguns are a very personal thing, with most folks doing better with one type over another. This doesn't mean that one is more accurate than the other. It is just one fits the hands, eyes, muscles and nerve of a shooter better than another does.

There are many handguns out there, both revolvers and autoloaders that possess equal or better mechanical accuracy to the various 1911s. An accomplished handgun shooter can do well with any of them, but some require more attention and concentration than others.

bob208
02-11-2015, 04:10 PM
the star model sa in 9mm largo. is almost a dead ringer for a 1911. in fact when I carry mine I use the same holster that was made for my 1911.

Certaindeaf
02-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Everything shoots the same. Only the shooter can make them shoot the same though.

1911KY
02-11-2015, 05:29 PM
HK USP Tactical .45 and HK P7M8 are as accurate for me as a 1911. The USP has the same ergonomics as a 1911, so they are going to feel similar in your hand. The P7M8 is whole different animal, but with it's fixed barrel it can really punch out an X ring.

mattw
02-11-2015, 07:56 PM
For many years, in the 90's and early 2000's I shot IPSC and other forms of action pistol. I also shot 100 to 600 meter bench rifles at the same time. I was shooting around 800 rounds of 45 a week and still reloading on a Rock Chucker, loved the control it afforded. When I started shooting action pistol, the only 45 I could afford was a Norinco. It was very tight out of the box, I fitted it with a beaver tail, good sights, good trigger/sear, extended mag release and slide release. That darn gun would shoot! It was my first center fire semi-auto, had been shooting wheel guns for years at that point. I found that the trigger on the 1911 was something of a wonder to me. I could fire and barely release it and she was hot again!

I still have that old gun, but have added several 1911's to the mix and a few Witnesses, a couple of Astra A100's (love them), a couple of XDS's and a MegaStar. I find that I still default to the 1911. I do find that almost any of them are accurate, some of them are more accurate than I am but I have learned to really start to squeeze more out of them. Form and practice are what it takes, lots of rounds with good form and practice works even better. I would suggest a couple of hours of paid range time with a good instructor and then work on changes to muscle memory that may not be good for your form. I spent most evenings watching a favorite show and drawing and dry firing at a person on the tv. This helped holster work and muscle memory! I was lucky enough to work with Carter Jones on the range many times, I learned a lot from him. Now that dude could shoot and could shoot fast.

Highway41
02-15-2015, 11:51 PM
I think it all depends on how comfortable any given handgun is for the shooter. As for me I love my STI Trojan 45 and it definitely is more accurate than I am. But... My go to pistol is my Springfield XD 45 service. It feels like it was made just for me. I am consistently more accurate at ranges out the occasional 50yd session with my XD than any other handgun I own. It boils down to finding what fits each of us individually as most all of the quality brands are inherently more accurate than the shooter. If God forbid I ever had to liquidate my collection the one I would not let go of would be my plain old XD 45 service.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-16-2015, 02:23 AM
My Father (WWII Marine and on the Marine pistol team at Pearl Harbor in 45 before Pearl got attacked), taught me how to shoot a handgun with a S&W Model 10 he'd picked up during the war after his .45/1911 (not 1911A1) was hit by a Jap machine gun. It was a good revolver and well made and I was decent with it, but nothing special.

After I entered the service, I was issued a 1911A1 on very short notice while working on aircraft in a combat zone. I had an occasion to use that pistol and the skills my Father taught me to protect myself. That pistol, that I'd never had a chance to shoot at a target, somehow, beyond my understanding of any of it, because part of my hand, fitting perfectly and saving my rear end or I wouldn't be typing this. I drew it from it's holster and fired exactly three rounds that I counted in my head the way my Father taught me. It was all that was needed.

Since that time, I've owned a lot of handguns and shot a lot. My skills are to the point I can shoot just about anything and make it hit the target in a tight a group as the handgun will shoot. The point made earlier about focusing on the front sight and trigger squeeze is absolutely true.

Nevertheless, when and if I ever need a handgun for defense of my life in the most desperate of situations, it's a 1911 I want. Old, rebuilt a million times by the Army or new and just broke in, it's the handgun I know I can trust my life on when it's the most difficult to hit the target - when you're being shot at.

40-82 hiker
02-16-2015, 11:33 AM
I've never had the money to buy and try many different handguns (understatement there). I had a Browning HI Power in the 70s, and then sold if to buy a Colt NM .45. Never looked back (but would love to still have it, if that makes any sense). I still have the Colt and shoot it as regularly as I can given my med. problems. I love the grip for my hand, and I am pleased with how well I shoot it. But, like I said I am not worldly in having shot many different handguns...

I'm working on a project now shooting a Colt Trooper MK III. It is quite a contrast for me, but I am going to enjoy learning to shoot it. As many have said in this thread, handgun skills do travel to different handguns fairly quickly if one shoots a lot, and is honest with himself about the results. And, I might add, takes one's time.

DanOH
02-16-2015, 11:58 AM
S&W M&P.
Just spend 170.00 for an APEX flat face forward set trigger. Sez so right in the ad.
https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191836

robertbank
02-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Handguns are a very personal thing, with most folks doing better with one type over another. This doesn't mean that one is more accurate than the other. It is just one fits the hands, eyes, muscles and nerve of a shooter better than another does.

There are many handguns out there, both revolvers and autoloaders that possess equal or better mechanical accuracy to the various 1911s. An accomplished handgun shooter can do well with any of them, but some require more attention and concentration than others.

This!

I will add for some it comes down to money and how much you are willing to spend and what you get when you spend it. For me the CZ 75 Series is very high up on the food chain for value vs accuracy vs shootability vs dependabiluty. The CZ 97B with decent sights will shoot with the best of the 1911's at a price point of around $600. Scores big time when it comes to value.

Much depends on the guns ultimate use. Having an 8" barreled Ruger SBH that shoots lips off a chicken at 600 yards is not much use if your requirement is for a concealed carry close quarter pistol. Most all handguns have a use just got to match the gun with the use.

The 1911's are OK but without the folklore are pretty ordinary compared to the newer designs IMHO.

Take Care

Bob

nagantguy
02-16-2015, 02:26 PM
I'll say something controversial, but it's honest.

I've committed a significant portion of my youth and middle age, and a great deal of income to becoming a half-way decent pistol shooter. I also wanted to gain some broad experience, so I bought double-action semi-autos, single-action semi-autos, DA revolvers, SA revolvers, and several to many brands of each of those types and calibers from 22LR to 460S&W. I probably own a couple hundred handguns at the moment. (I honestly have no idea...) Since I began qualifying through various LE agencies in 1989, I've never shot below 489/500, and have shot perfect scores several times. Not bragging, just wanted to say that so you know I've got a little experience and a little skill. There's plenty of people better than I, but I'd say I'm in the 90-95% range of good shots. That said, here's my take on handgun accuracy:

You have to be a pretty darn good shooter to tell the difference in accuracy between most pistols. I can pick up any handgun and shoot it pretty close to it's mechanical capability of being shot. Grip size and shape doesn't matter. You just adjust your grip to accommodate the shape. Sights suck? Don't matter; keep your focus on the front sight and concentrate on your trigger press. High bore axis? Yeah, it'll rock in your hand, but increase your isometric tension and recognize your follow-through's importance.

Once you get to the point that poor skills are not effecting accuracy, then you can worry about the various guns' characteristics (but at that point, you'll find those don't matter so much any more). So, why did I answer your post this way? Because if you're still talking about grips and sights and what model gun fits your hand, etc., you haven't improved your skills enough to worry about those characteristics. Handguns are the most difficult type of guns to shoot well, so people look for equipment-based changes to improve shooting them, when none of that makes any difference, compared to their skill.

I can take any modern, out-of-the-box handgun, and shoot it into a 3" bullseye at 50 ft. I was just issued a new Glock 21SF at work, and took it out to fire 100 rds through it to break it in and make sure the sights were on (of course they were). First 13 rd magazine was a ragged 1.5" hole at 7 yards (in 16-degree temperature and with 6" of snow just finishing falling on us - yeah it sucked, but it was still at the range, which is better than being in the office).

The marksmanship skills (stance, grip, sight picture, trigger control, follow-through) are completely transferrable and the shape of the grip, style of sights, type of trigger (bow vs. fulcrum), caliber of the gun, type of action (semi-, revolver, single-shot, whatever), mean very little.

Now, all that said, I will give my one experience with shockingly good accuracy. In the mid- to late-90s I found a Walther P88C for a great price (I think they were blowing them out because the P99 was coming), and bought one. Took it to the range with my handloads (124gr LRN and 4.5grs W231 in mixed cases), and proceeded to shoot a 1.75" x 2.0" 25 shot group at 25 yards, standing. I'll admit it surprised me, but I did it again and again with that pistol. That's when it dawned on me that my skills had outpaced the mechanical limits of accuracy of my other pistols. That Walther's lock-up was just better than the other brands I owned. It's still my most-accurate pistol. It is as accurate as my best revolvers.

And, that's the other thing I will say, which is a generality: Revolvers are generally always more accurate than auto-pistols. When I shot both my S&W686 and my Glock20 on the same day during qualifications, my scores were always slightly higher with the revolver. And, I'm a semi-auto guy, but the revolver is mechanically more accurate. In my opinion, it is because the barrel is fixed to the frame which is where your hand grips the gun. Therefore, you have more mechanical and control over the barrel and front sight via your skills, because of that fixed relationship.

Hope that helps. It's not meant as a criticism in any way. I just want to help people save money wasted on chasing some magical combination of grip or sights and look at the real need: skills. If you have skills, the other stuff doesn't matter. You are better off spending money on a good 22LR and a reasonable-quality revolver and shooting, and shooting, and shooting. Get a good instructor, if you're struggling.

Well.stated and I agree with everything just about in your post, I to have become a student of the pistol in mid life; its always on me can't carry a rifle most places so I trained and took.training and trained with every platform I could get my hands on. 5 hears as an associate instructor for cpl and other pistol classes I've shot thousands of diffent handguns. The 1911 is and always was my go to, cz /eaa are great as well, I'm a big guy with small hands so it took some work with the glock and other fat gripped hand guns. The rubber sr series is by far the most economic accurate and durable line of semi auto pistols I've used, haven't replaced my 1911s yet but more out of sentimentality than any practical reason. For the last 6 months or so I've carried trained and shot almost exclusively left handed grip was the toughest thing to get down but now there is almost no difference strong side or weak.