PDA

View Full Version : Fedora hat questions

HarryT
02-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Is it better to get a fedora with or without a lining?
What width brim is best?
What is the best two all round colors?
Is there a difference between Summer and Winter fedoras?

PS: money is no object as long as they are cheap.

Wayne Smith
02-08-2015, 05:15 PM
I got mine at Disney, it is a Indiana Jones hat, wool and crushable. For me crushability is the primary value. In the summer I wear a hat that has open webbing around the sides of the head. That's much better in the heat.
I didn't know there were summer and winter versions, although I guess mine with the webbing are Fedoras of a type.

Hickok
02-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I love the look of a good fedora. Always liked the way Fred Bear wore one hunting!

BLTsandwedge
02-08-2015, 05:32 PM
What width brim is best?

I bought my Barlesoni in Chicago on a business trip about 25 years ago. Material, brim etc are all to be found. They're really not that bad in price ($100 +/-). A felt fedora is not my idea of a summer hat...'cuz I don't wear a hat in summer.....but to each his own. Google Barlesoni......

NB: forget wearing the friggin' thing in the car- I'm 6'2" an' there is no vehicle ('cept bus or train!) that has enough headroom.

Pb2au
02-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Lining is a personal preference, with the caveat that a more high end hat will be lined.
brim width is really has to work with the person. A larger built person typically looks better with a tad more brim. As indicated, the brim width on Indy's hat was typical of the 30's and 40's.
Color is the primary difference, with the weight of the felt being second.
a homburg is a cousin of the fedora, and is a nice choice as well to consider. I prefer a homburg, but I'm also built like a bulldozer and it fits me better.
i never leave the house without a hat.
i was getting razzed last week when I visited a customer. I was elbow deep in grease and metal slivers with my hat tipped back on my head working.

DLCTEX
02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
The only brand I wear is Stetson, but I don't think anyone would call it a fedora. There is a lined fedora in my closet, it belonged to my father-in-law.

Thumbcocker
02-08-2015, 08:14 PM
You also have to accessorize with the proper bull whip and a triple lock.

WILCO
02-08-2015, 08:30 PM
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/03/01/bringing-back-the-hat/

WILCO
02-08-2015, 08:32 PM
http://www.advancedetiquette.com/2010/04/hat-etiquette/

WILCO
02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
http://wmbriggs.com/post/2743/

WILCO
02-08-2015, 08:35 PM
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/28/the-perfect-hat-for-your-ugly-mug/

xs11jack
02-08-2015, 09:29 PM
I have a hat that was custom made in Austin, Tx., about 40 years ago. He made it and fitted it while you watched. A fun experience.
Ole Jack

DHurtig
02-09-2015, 12:45 AM
I accumulate hats like women do shoes. Hate to guess how many baseball caps I have. For summer, I have 2 fedora's that are actually made from woven paper. One is black and the other is a cream color. Also have a couple gamblers, a safari hat and several others I don't even have a name for. Have some made from straw, but I really like the ones made from sea grass. I make most of my own hat bands. Check out the thrift stores for a tie you like. A pair of scissors some hot glue and you're done. If you're careful about your fitting, you won't need to glue it on and you can change it out to suit your mood.

Artful
02-09-2015, 11:03 AM
What width brim is best?

Panama in the summer - not felt but straw
lighter color in summer, darker in winter
working outside larger brim - Wore Stetson as youth still have some cowboy.
Oh, with Felt watchout for moth damage.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-09-2015, 11:35 AM
I would be looking a a Tilley, there are lots of very good reviews and explanations about the brim size ,they are very good, it would eb hard to go wrong with a tilley

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats/warm-weather

Clay M
02-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I wear a Filson insulated packer hat in the winter.It is the best winter hat I have.It is wind and water proof.
I wear the non insulated version in the summer.

http://www.filson.com/products/insulated-packer-hat.60016.html

Kent Fowler
02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
What width brim is best?

You probably need to channel Tom Landry or Bear Bryant.

montana_charlie
02-09-2015, 02:55 PM
You all probably know that babies in Texas are generally born fully clothed.
I popped out with only my hat and boots, so they decided I was premature.

Wore out the boots a long time ago, but still have the hat ...

CM

EDK
02-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The only brand I wear is Stetson, but I don't think anyone would call it a fedora. There is a lined fedora in my closet, it belonged to my father-in-law.

Felt hat for winter...4 to 6X STETSON...lined; $150 on up. Summer is an off white straw buckaroo style I bought in Idaho; $50 IIRC.
A high end hat like a STETSON will last forever. Unfortunately, its about $75 to have them cleaned, blocked, new sweatband and lining. BUT they improve with age.

HarryT
02-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I've got a couple of cowboy hats (felt and straw). I wear one of them when I drive an early model vehicle. But new vehicles with the high back seats and head rest make hats with wide brims uncomfortable. I had a nice Stetson fedora many years before the Indiana Jones craze but lost it in a fit of passion to a lady whose name I can't remember.

flyingmonkey35
02-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Wore one for a long time. Then lost it.

Brown felt for winter / fancy wear.

Cloth grey/black or a boonie cap for Summer.

Sweat stains will destroy a good looking hat. And youll find out your wife put it away for you.

ballistim
02-09-2015, 10:07 PM
I bought a Cabela's "Gun Club" felt Fedora made by Stetson. I walked by it on a rack, popped it on my head, looked in the mirror, and headed up to the cashier - totally an impulse buy!

MtGun44
02-10-2015, 01:01 AM
For winter my ushanka made from fisher fur is ultra warm. Actually
can't wear it above 10F, but it is really nice at -25F.

Check out my avatar for my hunting hat.

Bill

robg
02-10-2015, 05:51 AM
leather aussie hat in winter,straw hat in the sun,black or brown fedora rest of the time.why did guys stop wearing hats and why?

Dutchman
02-10-2015, 06:57 AM
I just bought 4 of these. One for me, one for son-in-law, two for teen granddaughters. $50.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/crushable/917970-1225/scala-felt-safari-traveler-hat.html

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2015, 09:30 AM
A felt Fedora for winter and good clothes. Pick the color of your choice but grey and brown seem be to overall favorites. Can't say I'd want a lined one but that's mostly because I'm cheap.
An old Outdoor Research Seattle sombrero for rain and informal wear. (Gore-Tex and totally waterproof ! ) It's super goofy looking but it's the best rain hat I've ever owned. I wouldn't part with it voluntarily.
I'm not much of a summer hat guy but if I wear one for work it is usually a cheap boonie hat. They get sweat stained in about 1/2 day so no use in spending a lot.
Someone mentioned a Tilley hat and I have one. The Tilley is one of the most useful summer hats I've found and it is particularly good on a boat. I don't think you can wear out a Tilley hat. You might lose it but you won't wear it out.

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2015, 09:34 AM
I just bought 4 of these. One for me, one for son-in-law, two for teen granddaughters. $50.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/crushable/917970-1225/scala-felt-safari-traveler-hat.html

That's a sharp hat and a good deal! I might have to get one of those.

dagger dog
02-10-2015, 05:22 PM
My grandfather always wore a Stetson felt in winter and straw panama in summer, he called the small brim 3-4" "stingy brims" so as not to be confused with 10 gallon Stetson.

I had a Buck Jones Special Stetson wore it many winters until some one swiped it out of my trucks over head hat rack. Have several straw Baileys and a wool felt Campaign plus a couple crushers from Orvis.

gkainz
02-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Check out the hats my daughter-in-law's family makes

http://www.bigallihats.com/

Outpost75
02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Miller Hats in Houston makes the campaign hats for Marine drill instructors. Visit their web sie. They can make any style you want. Top quality. Best hatter in Milano, IT said he could not match quality for the price. Said they must have learned the trade in the old country. They did.