PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted .22TCM Dies

Handloader109
02-08-2015, 09:13 AM
I just picked up a Rock Island .22TCM/9mm Target model 1911. I'll probably be shooting 9mm more than the TCM, but having said that, I plan on keeping all of my brass and start collecting stuff to reload this caliber. In reading what I could find here and elsewhere, it looks like hornady and Lee both have made dies. I don't find either for sale. Does anyone have good/bad opinions on one or the other? I don't want to special order a set and find I should we ordered the other. And if anyone has a supplier that might have a set, please let me know. Thanks john

NavyVet1959
02-08-2015, 09:30 AM
I've been looking at buying a RIA .22 TCM M1911 and from what I've gathered, the reloading dies for .22 TCM are not widely available. I saw them recently over at AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com, but I suspect that the caliber is a special order from Lee and Hornady and ASW doesn't order new ones until that have sold the previous stock. Or maybe the lead time on Lee and Hornady producing them is just really long. Looking back, I wish I had just bought the dies even though I hadn't found the pistol yet.

What did you end up paying for your RIA .22 TCM / 9mm?

Handloader109
02-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Too much:-)
Na, cabelas had $100 off ended up $599 plus tax. They've been getting more expensive lately, been watching for one for past few months, but no cash. Was the supposed target model. Feels real good in my hand even being double stack. I didn't really like feel of the 9mm they had and I wanted to get the TCM. Will shoot the gun next week as 9mm,as I had to order the 22tcm ammo, none local.

str8wal
02-08-2015, 11:57 AM
I have heard that these guns don't run well in 9mm configuration, more designed for the TCM cartridge. I couldn't care less about the TCM, but would like a double stack 9 in the 1911 platform and was leaning this way until I read the poor reports. They may have fixed things, and I hope your gun runs because I still have a yearning.

Handloader109
02-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Will let you know :-)

vonzep
02-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Are you planning on cutting 5.56 brass down to make tcm? Or just buying?

Handloader109
02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
I've got 250 loaded rounds coming, once used, that will be my first supply to reload. Past that, I will probably try some 223/556 resizing. But not my first choice. New brass Is available, but pricey

NavyVet1959
02-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I figure start out with .223 brass for .223. If it splits, convert it to .300 AAC. If that splits, convert it to .22 TCM.

That 9x19 barrel though... I'm thinking that it might be beggng to be converted to a 9x23. It uses .38 SUPER mags, so there's a good chance it might work.

ray h
02-08-2015, 06:07 PM
I have a friend who bought a target version of the pistol. He's making his temporary brass from 223 till his factory cases come in. Only down side i can see is the 22TCM is around 1.025 and you may have to anneal the case necks when using 223 brass. He's forming in one pass I believe. He then chops the case with one of the Harbor Freight 2" chop saws. He tried the 35 gr VMax bullets but too long and had to remove the plastic tip. I haven't heard of any results yet.

GRUMPA
02-08-2015, 06:12 PM
For the dies, since I made the brass for a time I just used 221 Fireball dies and shortened them. I did need to open the sizer die just a little on the lathe but the brass turned out pretty nicely. Annealing the necks proved to be a challenge but I got that solved.

If you plan on making any let me give you some advise, ream the necks.

Handloader109
02-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Looks like one supplier has an order for a pile of Hornady dies coming at some point. At least it appears that there still is some growing interest in the cartridge.

vonzep
02-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Looks like one supplier has an order for a pile of Hornady dies coming at some point. At least it appears that there still is some growing interest in the cartridge.
I think you are right. I have sold a surprising number of cutoff jigs for 5.56 to tcm conversions.

NavyVet1959
02-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Ballistically, it's basically the same as the 5.7x28 (and maybe slightly better). Plust, it comes in a double-stack M1911 -- for some of us, that's all it takes. Having the extra 9mm barrel is a bonus. I want to try it with the Lee .225" 55gr Bator mold.

Handloader109
02-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Well, not having a 1911 in the past, I was curious as to how well this gun would shoot 9mm. A lot of folks have complained the 9 isn't really nice, but having shot it this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised. Shot my Lee 125gr RN well, doesn't like my short Lee conical. But it was sure a blast. Cam wait to get my 22tcm rounds in to try. Got to get some more loaded

Handloader109
03-31-2015, 07:33 AM
Dies in stock today at armsupplywarehouse

NavyVet1959
03-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Dies in stock today at armsupplywarehouse

Couldn't find an "armsupplywarehouse"...

I've seen the dies at Ammo Supply Warehouse (http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com
)

The Lee dies ($84) are not in stock...
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/product/196/LEE-3-DIE-SET-22-TCM-Armscor.html

But the Hornady ($91) ones are...
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/product/597/Hornady-Die-Set-22-TCM-Armscor.html

vs about $31 for a comparable 3-die set in .223 by Lee... Just goes to show us that if we choose to reload a new non-mainstream caliber, it might cost us a bit more, but at least it is availabe...

roysha
03-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I have heard that these guns don't run well in 9mm configuration, more designed for the TCM cartridge. I couldn't care less about the TCM, but would like a double stack 9 in the 1911 platform and was leaning this way until I read the poor reports. They may have fixed things, and I hope your gun runs because I still have a yearning.

Just now saw your post and found it interesting. My TCM/9MM is older than your post date and I have not had a single issue with the 9MM conversion. Where did you get that information? I would like to know in case an issue does develop with the 9MM conversion.

bluelund79
03-31-2015, 08:54 PM
This one is getting higher on the "must want" list. Seeing positive reviews keeps it in the back of my mind. How have the magazines been that came with the pistol?

Handloader109
04-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Sorry for the diverted website:'(
Yes the Hornady dies are expensive, but they work....and cheaper than true custom.both my tcms shoot 9mm fine. But love the 22tcm....

Magazine question. Depends on the gun.....the single stack I have will use the Mec gar 38 special mags with no issue, flat base, it goes higher than the original, but bullets feed perfectly. You can use para 18 38 spec in the double stack also, but lips must be ground back. I did 2 and they work fine also.

NavyVet1959
09-03-2015, 03:24 AM
I've seen the dies at Ammo Supply Warehouse (http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com<br />)

The Lee dies ($84) are not in stock...
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/product/196/LEE-3-DIE-SET-22-TCM-Armscor.html

But the Hornady ($91) ones are...
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/product/597/Hornady-Die-Set-22-TCM-Armscor.html

Current prices are $75 for the Lee dies and $91 for the Hornady.

Casting_40S&W
09-03-2015, 09:07 AM
$32.61 for Lee Set.
It pays to shop around. Found this set at a Cast Boolits sponsors website.

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-22-tcm-2-die-set?filter_name=90803

NavyVet1959
09-04-2015, 12:43 PM
$32.61 for Lee Set.
It pays to shop around. Found this set at a Cast Boolits sponsors website.

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-22-tcm-2-die-set?filter_name=90803

When this thread started, AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com was the only one selling dies for the .22 TCM. It's nice to know that there are some other companies doing it now.

The above listing at TitanReloading.com is for a 2-die set whereas the one at AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com is for a 3-die set. Even if you add the Lee FCD from TitanReloading.com (currently $18.75), it's still a bit cheaper than the full set from AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com.

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-22-tcm-bottleneck-crimp-die

That would bring the total price up to $51.36 and with shipping via USPS, it brings it up to $60.36.

AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com does not offer USPS shipping, so the UPS shipping on the 3-die set would be $10.23, bringing the total up to $85.22 currently. So, TitanReloading.com would still be cheaper. The die set by TitanReloading.com does not contain a dipper or load data though. Very seldom do I use dippers for powder measurement, so that's not an issue with me, but it might be for some people.

Handloader109
09-09-2015, 07:39 AM
I kind of want to spend the $ to get the Lee set. I have issues with the hornady dies when I use them to convert 223 cases. Have seen elsewhere the lees work better for conversion. We'll see when I get money to blow on something that is extra.

Gunslinger1911
09-09-2015, 07:17 PM
I bought the 5" single stack 22TCM\9mm combo a couple months ago. Rock Island has it figured out !!! Locks up as well as any mid-end 1911 I've seen, and better than most.
I got the Hornady dies because that's all I could find. They are ok but expensive ! Titan had the Lee's a few weeks later, bought em !!! I have had nothing but great success with Lee dies, these are no exception !
All I need to do is cobble together a powder thru expander and I'm set. I don't use J words in mine, so I need to expand a little, and I like using powder thru dies in my Dillon.
Haven't crono'd any yet, but 10.8 g 296 and a 40 g cast gas check boolet sounds and feels about the same as a factory load.
No issues with the 9mm conversion, eats them right up.
I also had thought of reaming out the chamber to 38 super. That's on the to do list somewhere.

catchbull@4
09-16-2016, 06:29 PM
I know this an old thread, but I just stumbled on this cartridge and have started to reload. I've been cutting down .223 and forming with the lee die with limited success. The forming process is pretty smooth, but the lee die has a vent hole right at the base of the shoulder, and the hole causes scoring of the necks. About 40% of my formed brass splits on the first firing. I've been annealing before and after forming, and reaming the necks, but that doesn't fix the problem. I did some fairly aggressive lapping on the die, and I've been indexing the case 3 or 4 times as I gradually run into the die. Haven't been able to get to the range to try the latest batch, but hope this works. Reaming the necks to .213 while in die gives me about .012-.013 neck thickness, if the cases keep splitting, I'm considering either springing for a set of Hornady dies (none of my other Hornady dies have vent holes, so I'm assuming the 22 TCM won't either) or dropping down to a smaller diameter reamer and turning the necks to get rid of the scoring. I hate neck turning, so hopefully I won't have to resort to that. Any advice on eliminating or reducing neck splitting would be greatly appreciated.

HATCH
09-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Get hornady dies

Grumpa's brass is the way to go if he is still making them.

I have a CH4D forming die that I can use to make brass but since I have several thousand factory new brass I don't see the point in doing it.
I have formed up brass using the CH4D reloading dies. It does work

catchbull@4
09-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks Hatch,
any idea of what Grumpa is asking per hundred?

Silverboolit
09-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Get my TCM brass and bullets through Armscore website. Brass is not that expensive and the bullets are rather cheap. I use the LEE die set from Ttitan along with the factory crimp die. You will need the short/long rifle tube for the PTX die.( Don't remember which) Workd great. I do anneal the new brass and it seems to last longer as I heard that it is not annealed when made. All in all, a very fun cartridge to work with and the noise/fireball factor is just unbelievable at the range!

catchbull@4
09-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Agreed, ammosupply bullets are way cheap compared to others. Ordered 1000 and a box of loaded ammo for emergency use, while I work out the forming process and rebuild the mad money account.

gwpercle
09-19-2016, 06:46 PM
CH4D has dies , complete set or individual dies , forming dies , shellholders , everything needed.
Go to CH4D site , click on dies and search 22TCM, pulls everything up. Call and talk to Dave if you have any questions...
Gary

catchbull@4
10-05-2016, 05:54 PM
A quick follow up:
inside reaming continued to give too many split necks, so resorted to straight forming followed by turning the neck OD. A bit of a pain, but so far great results, with flawless functioning and no neck splitting. Started turning to .015 thick, but my chamber is tight and many failed the plunk test. Dropped down to .013 and everything is running smooth. Annealing those short cases also proved to be a bit tricky. Initially I had failure to eject problems, because the I was over annealing, but I've finally got it dialed in to where I seldom loose a case while forming and have eliminated the stuck cases. One positive note, I can now field strip and reassemble that 1911 in a minute and a half no sweat.:)