PDA

View Full Version : Casting

Nomadnailer
02-07-2015, 11:33 PM
Does anyone cast their own pellets big or small

bangerjim
02-08-2015, 12:30 AM
There are custom mold makers that you can get 22 pellet molds from, but the hassle of casting 223's is more than I care to mess with, let alone air gun pellets! I shoot a lot of air guns and I just buy my 177 and 22 pellets. Easy and fast and pretty inexpensive for my needs.

Try a net search for those molds.

banger

Ithaca Gunner
02-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Nope, like bangerjim said, too much hassle. I do use a pellet trap though and recycle the ones I shoot into much larger boolits.

RayinNH
02-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Seems to me you'd have to be real desperate to cast airgun pellets. I doubt you could even approach the quality of the worst swaged pellets on the market let alone the variety of excellant pellets available.

HollowPoint
02-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Seems to me you'd have to be real desperate to cast airgun pellets. I doubt you could even approach the quality of the worst swaged pellets on the market let alone the variety of excellant pellets available.

I cast AND swage my own pellets and none of it is done out of desperation. I do it because I can; and because I got tired of paying for pellets.

As far as approaching the quality of store bought pellets, the "Quality"-Bar for those store bought pellets really isn't set that high. I believe that even a concentric little lead cylinder -cast or swaged- would be just as effective a projectile as alot of the store bought pellets many of us have used; provided your air gun can produce enough power to propel them to your target.

I've stated this before in some of my other posts; I think it bares repeating. With the advent of modern day, cutting edge air guns, the weak link now in the air gunning universe is the ammo that most of us are relegated to shooting. These first-generation pellets are still very practical and fairly inexpensive, as well as accurate if you can find one your gun likes but, as far as ballistics are concerned, they're far from optimum.

HollowPoint