PDA

View Full Version : Molds

Nomadnailer
02-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Does anyone make their own bullet molds

Lonegun1894
02-08-2015, 04:24 AM
I wish I had the skills, but don't. Maybe some day. I know I have read posts by a couple members saying they have done it in the past, but can't remember names right now.

RayinNH
02-08-2015, 11:35 AM
44Man does. The Perfessor I believe has made at least one. He had a write up about it afew years ago. Probably others, I just can't remember who.

Steve Steven
02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
I just modified a Lee mold. My buddy, Frank, is enamored Of the "SlugsRUs" 20ga sabot load (Shown here http://slugsrus.com/store/handload.html in 3rd add down) but objected to the price, he wanted to get the hulls (5th add down) and make a copy of the lead slug for them.
I bought a mold off Ebay for about $15 delivered, took it apart, chucked it up in the 4-jaw, centered it up, bored it out, made a form tool to cut the head to size and it was finished. Had one or two minor boo-boos but nothing that would affect utility. Put the mold back together, cast some and all was good.

Now for the bad news! The mold I bought was a round ball mold, and I couldn't get a long enough bullet in the blocks, so I had to make the slug about .100 too short. I will try again with a Lee 170gr .30cal mold I have and try again.

Steve

mold maker
02-08-2015, 08:46 PM
If a core mold counts, I had success with a core for swaging 40 brass into a 44 200 gr XTP like boolit with BT's dies.
LEE sells blank blocks with the sprue plate.

rintinglen
02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Any competent machinist can, which is why I don't;)

.22-10-45
02-10-2015, 02:38 AM
I made a couple in high school for reloading .22 rimfires. Turned up tool-steel "bullet" a few thou. larger than desired for lead shrinkage & hardned. Drilled pilot hole right on center line of both blocks (1/2 hole in each block face)..hole was just slightly smaller than smallest dia. of g.g. Dwl. pins for alignment. blocks with steel "bullet" between brought together with 10 ton hyd. press. result was a perfect coined mirror finished cavity.

Doggonekid
02-20-2015, 12:39 AM
You try and make boolit molds in High School now days and you will get thrown out of school for at least a week. I remember trying to make a reloading press in 1974. Didn't turn out so good. I got a lousy grade on that project.

Step N. Mud
03-20-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm interested in the Lee double cav. blank mold and thinking about a paper patch smooth side mold maybe .444" and/or .403", but haven't figured out the profile yet or just how to cut it.
I did watch a couple you tube video's on making molds with a lathe and that was alright, but what about using a drill press and making a cutter for the bullet nose? Have some diamond bits and misc. shop tools.