PDA

View Full Version : Droped my new 311291

DeadWoodDan
02-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Just got a good cadence going and boolits started sticking a little so thought I would smoke the cavities a little and mold slipped out of my hand and landed right on the corner [smilie=b:

I just wanted to scream.....Was thinking about filing on the damaged corners but want others opinion first before I make matters worse. Mold won't close now

Beagle333
02-07-2015, 10:54 PM
I say... file away. That area is just a heat sink part of the mold anyway. Just get the face back to where the mold will close properly and get the top smoothed down so that the sprue plate doesn't rub or is lifted when closed, and you're good! If you want a 100% confirmation of any advice... just ask or call Al at NOE. He's pretty accessible and would be the real authority on it.

Moonie
02-07-2015, 11:07 PM
gotta agree with Beagle333, won't look nice but will get it back to casting good boolits.

osteodoc08
02-08-2015, 01:16 AM
It's happened to all of us. It's not at a cavity so clean it up and get back to casting.

The REAL issue at hand is what was causing it to start having the boolits stick.

Clean the mould thoroughly and look for tinning, burrs, etc. I've had a few start sticking in the past, but it was usually from something being off. Mold temp or melt temp too cold after down time or adding melt. A small burr or some tinning that has formed. Best of luck!

runfiverun
02-08-2015, 02:02 AM
I'd file it flat and maybe a little past flat.

brass molds form an oxide layer in them after a few uses it acts just like smoke err soot, only it doesn't do bad stuff like sooting can.

Lonegun1894
02-08-2015, 04:22 AM
Other than resale value and frustration with yourself, I don't think you have hurt anything. I bought a Lyman mold a while back that had a ding like that in the corner of it, but it doesn't go into a cavity, so I took a fine file to it to allow it to close, and it closes and casts just fine. Not as pretty as a new mold, but the bullets are just as pretty and shoot just as well.

DeadWoodDan
02-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone, just wanted to make sure before going forward there wasn't other options or I was damaging further.
DWD

Screwbolts
02-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I would get the file out and true the corners up just as previously posted. The only other possibility is I would walk right over to my belt sander and take the corners right down. I would do both halves so they look the same.

Ken

castalott
02-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Just a last note...it has happened to all of us. Now you can use the daylights out of it...no more babying it...it has become a useful tool and not a precious jewel....
Dale

Ben
02-08-2015, 09:28 AM
DeadWoodDan (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?8707-DeadWoodDan)

I've never dropped a mold, but if I ever do.....I hope the damage will be in the exact same location as yours. Easy fixed.

You've been offered very good advice on dealing with the issue.

Have you looked closely to see if the mold halves still align themselves properly ?

Ben

RayinNH
02-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Cosmetics only. I once purchased a used Lyman 4 cavity 454190 mold. It's a 250ish grain RNFP boolit for the .45 Colt. It looked like the previous owner used it to bang in roofing nails. All square edges no longer were, corners were dented and the sprue plate was burred. Cavities on the other hand were excellent. I paid $25.00 for it knowing it could be salvaged. It ain't pretty but it cast fine.

Ben
02-08-2015, 10:24 AM
It ain't pretty but it cast fine.

Really, when it gets down to it, this is what it is all about.
Many of my molds cast great bullets but won't win a beauty contest.

Ben

Echo
02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I agree with all the above. But my wonderment stems from wondering How In The World the dents could be made as they were. Both inside corners, same (approx) size & shape, but INSIDE. Curious minds would like to know...

dubber123
02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
You could pretty easily pretty easily peen most of the damage back into place with some careful hammer taps and then file/sand the rest off. It would make the finished repair less noticeable. Good luck.

DeadWoodDan
02-08-2015, 01:54 PM
cavities where open b.c. I was smoking the mold and still had leather glove on one hand and holding a lit match in other. Was totally my ignorance in method. Never mind I had a long day and most likely should not have been casting b.c. I was tired. But as my wife will tell you casting, lubing and such relaxes me and takes my mind off work and personal issues.

ShooterAZ
02-08-2015, 03:09 PM
I dropped my aluminum NOE 45 hp mold too, similar damage. A couple of swiped with a fine file, and all is good.