PDA

View Full Version : I found my light weight boolit for my 40S&W

tazman
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
A little over a week ago, I came across a Lee 6 cavity mold for a 145 grain tc. Apparently this mold came from a custom run Lee made at some point. Perhaps some of you have one.
It is a cut down version of the 401-175-tc that is in current production.
The nose has a slightly smaller meplat. The lube grove is a touch smaller and is still centered in the driving bands with both bands being the same width. It has a plain base as opposed to the bevel base on the 175.

The mold dropped boolits easily and I was getting good boolits from the third set through the mold. I sized and lubed them using my usual Lee push though and White Label X-Lox.
I loaded them up with medium loads of SR 4756 and HS6. I got to try them out yesterday.

Groups were excellent and feeding was flawless. No failures to feed or eject after over 50 rounds. Groups were about 3 inches at 10 yards offhand which is what I shoot with the larger boolit.
Now I have my lead saver/ practice round for the 40.:p:p:p

Digger
02-07-2015, 10:03 PM
excellent find Tazman ! ... I like the lighter versions in 40 s&w ....
been using a 156 gr. hp version from Miha and a while back picked up a 135 gr hp in a group buy here .
great performing boolits !.

tazman
02-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I had considered getting another of the fine NOE molds in the lightest weight they had but this one is lighter yet and is a design so similar to the Lee that I already know works that I went with it.

denul
02-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I wound up with two of these when the GB was completed years ago, before MP and NOE.With 12 cavities going at once, you get some really serious production,they are consistent enough to use without regard to the individual mold, and they do not overheat easily with alternating molds.Lee is missing a good bet not offering these in 6 cavity,and if anyone was interested in restarting a Leegroup buy, this would probably be an affordable option for quite a few persons.129936Sorry about the image,but I just cast some...great mold,economical results.

tazman
02-08-2015, 11:21 AM
That's the one. I was wondering when that buy took place.
It would be a good thing if they offered that as a regular item. It is working well for me.