View Full Version : Is any one else outa whack ?

butch2570
02-07-2015, 09:02 PM
After taking a good primer count I have realized that my primer to powder ratio is way outa whack. I have Enough primers ( I Thought ) for my Enough, powder stash, but as I was thinking about roughly how many rounds I could potentially load, I see i'm quite short on primers for the amount of plastic bottles scattered about. I guess with all that's been going on with powder , I kinda let my guard down on the other end. Oh well, I guess I need to change my priorities for a while, to get leveled out again, just wondering if any one else had the same issue.

btroj
02-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Hard to tell.

Primers- always one per round fired

Powder- varies from round to round. I could be loading Red Dot at 3.5 gr in a 9mm or 6 gr in a 45 Colt.

I have enough

Hamish
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
Nope, it has been on my mind, its on my list to rectify, and have been, one brick at a time,,,,,,

butch2570
02-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Hard to tell.

Primers- always one per round fired

Powder- varies from round to round. I could be loading Red Dot at 3.5 gr in a 9mm or 6 gr in a 45 Colt.

I have enough That was the way I was roughing my figures ,the lightest loads for the given powders ,for what I'm shooting, but like you say that can change with heavier loads. But I still need to play a little catch up, I think.

btroj
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
You will never know if you had enough, only your estate will know.

butch2570
02-07-2015, 09:22 PM
You will never know if you had enough, only your estate will know. Ha... :)

FISH4BUGS
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Primers are everywhere now. No real shortage and if you watch the Internet sites (Powder Valley is my personal favorite but there are many others) you will see powder pop up now and again. I just scored a case (4) of W231 4 lb'rs from PV for $328 delivered. That worked out to about $82 per 4 lb'r delivered. Not bad in this day and age. The mere availability at that price makes it fine with me.
I split this case of W231 with 2 other machine gun shooters. I just also recently split a case of W748 ( 4 8lb'rs) from PV with one of the same guys.
You have to become almost obsessive with checking web sites. I am really lucky that I work from home on a computer and the phone all day.
When I finish a task, I enter my time on the billing system, then I click on the icon and it takes me directly to PV Winchester Powder Page. Do that three or four times a day and you can see when stuff comes in.
I was told that they might get, for instance, 10 pallets of powder. They add it to the inventory on the website and take orders from there. The orders are automatically pulled from the inventory numbers and they run out quickly. When it is gone, it is gone.
They discourage phone orders but will take them if you insist. However, they don't guarantee it will be there when they pull the order. If you place it on line, and the items are there, you put them into your cart, check out and they are yours.
That's why you need to become almost obessive about it. (nothing that thousands of dollars of therapy won't fix).
Bullets are back, primers are back. It is the powder that is a killer now.
...and also time.....the time to cast and reload, not to mention even get out and shoot.

Thumbcocker
02-07-2015, 09:33 PM
My whack left a long time ago. I think it took off with my what will (insert group) think?

butch2570
02-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Primers are everywhere now. No real shortage and if you watch the Internet sites (Powder Valley is my personal favorite but there are many others) you will see powder pop up now and again. I just scored a case (4) of W231 4 lb'rs from PV for $328 delivered. That worked out to about $82 per 4 lb'r delivered. Not bad in this day and age. The mere availability at that price makes it fine with me.
I split this case of W231 with 2 other machine gun shooters. I just also recently split a case of W748 ( 4 8lb'rs) from PV with one of the same guys.
You have to become almost obsessive with checking web sites. I am really lucky that I work from home on a computer and the phone all day.
When I finish a task, I enter my time on the billing system, then I click on the icon and it takes me directly to PV Winchester Powder Page. Do that three or four times a day and you can see when stuff comes in.
I was told that they might get, for instance, 10 pallets of powder. They add it to the inventory on the website and take orders from there. The orders are automatically pulled from the inventory numbers and they run out quickly. When it is gone, it is gone.
They discourage phone orders but will take them if you insist. However, they don't guarantee it will be there when they pull the order. If you place it on line, and the items are there, you put them into your cart, check out and they are yours.
That's why you need to become almost obessive about it. (nothing that thousands of dollars of therapy won't fix).
Bullets are back, primers are back. It is the powder that is a killer now.
...and also time.....the time to cast and reload, not to mention even get out and shoot. That's what got me outa whack, a full order of powder from Mid South, plus quite a few kegs locally , and it's over run my primer count. Primers are everywhere here too, now I will have to annie up....

Beagle333
02-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Got powder. Almost out of primers. Got my eye on new rifle though... I'll figure out how to get it to shoot, once I get it paid for. 8-)

dragon813gt
02-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident. Figure it's a sign to sell all my evil firearms and take up a harmless hobby like politics.

Love Life
02-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I sold all of my powders and primers (what wasn't lost in the great boat accident of 2013) and donated all the money to MAIG.

runfiverun
02-07-2015, 11:06 PM
instead of trying for an even ratio try buying what you need until your dead.
I figured on 20 years of shooting.
figured my lead to make 100,000 more 200 gr boolits
then bought 100,000 primers.
unfortunately they were all large pistol and large rifle
so now I gotta start over for the small primer stuff.

mpbarry1
02-07-2015, 11:17 PM
I'm trying to have enough for my kids. Plus, when anarchy takes over, I want my small town defensible.

Bad Water Bill
02-08-2015, 02:30 AM
You will never know if you had enough, only your estate will know.

My feelings exactly. And the estate will GIVE it away for less than a dime for each dollar we actually have invested in it over the years.

starmac
02-08-2015, 04:56 AM
My feelings exactly. And the estate will GIVE it away for less than a dime for each dollar we actually have invested in it over the years.

I don't need to worry about that even if it wasn't for that boat wreck. My wife knows what they are worth. Even if she didn't the kids do, and would be scrapping over it. lol

PS Paul
02-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Rule of thumb for me: 10,000 primers is MINIMUM. I don't ever fall below that number.

RayinNH
02-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Boating sounds like a dangerous pasttime :smile:.

JB Weld
02-08-2015, 09:57 AM
I would have plenty of primers...
if I did not have to keep doing stuff like buying shoes/clothing for my kids...
and feeding them. :coffee:

Kent Fowler
02-08-2015, 10:51 AM
You will never know if you had enough, only your estate will know. Ain't that the truth. SIL wants to learn to reload and when I mentioned how many primers I had, he suggested that I could sell some of them. Felt like slapping the little idiot. I'm leaving him out of the will.

dragonrider
02-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Rule of thumb for me: 10,000 primers is MINIMUM. I don't ever fall below that number.

You do mean 10,000 of each type, correct??

TXGunNut
02-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Being out of whack is just another excuse for buying more of whatever we seem to be short of. The day I have enough loading components, guns or money someone else will have to figure out what to do with it all.

waynem34
02-08-2015, 03:56 PM
I have plenty primers and powder,But I used my last little bit of whack a week ago.

FISH4BUGS
02-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Lost all of mine in a tragic boating accident. Figure it's a sign to sell all my evil firearms and take up a harmless hobby like politics.

You know, I must have had a premonition....that's how all my guns and reloading supplies were lost too.

Yodogsandman
02-08-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm still waiting for the prices to go down since Clinton's inauguration! Just wait, the prices will go down again!

butch2570
02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
You do mean 10,000 of each type, correct?? That's a good start anyway....

bear67
02-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a catch 22 here somewhere. I buy 40K primers and then short of powder. I find a good deal on powder in stock and order 50 lbs. Now I am short of primers again. And we left out all that "just in case" brass I got a deal on. Just a merry go round--endless circle, but it shore is fun.

Maybe the best solution is to buy more guns in different calibers and dies and stuff. Life is hard to balance, me thinks.

archmaker
02-08-2015, 08:23 PM
I am in the opposite fix, Not enough powder, (need some more LR, but just a few boxes to be safe).

Harter66
02-08-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm about square for now. But like many I expect to find a deal any minute.