PDA

View Full Version : Saco 910 156gr 9MM loads

LubeckTech
02-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I just got a Saeco 910 mold whose specs are 147gr RN but it is casting at just under 156gr and would like some load suggestions. Powers on hand are Longshot, Autocomp, Bullseye, Titegroup, Unique, CFE Pistol, WSF, Herco and 700x plus some Clays. My first loads will be 3.2 Bullseye and 3.5 WSF with a OAL of 1.10

tazman
02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Given your powders, I would suggest trying Longshot, Herco, WSF, and CFE pistol rather than the others you list.
These are slower burning powders and will perform better than the faster powders with the heavy boolit.
The only powder I have tried that you list is Herco and it did quite well for me with that boolit weight.
I ended up using 4.5 grains of Herco under a discontinued Lee round nose that weighed identical to your boolit. As always, start low and work your way up.

lotech
02-08-2015, 10:33 AM
I had this mould some time ago. From ww alloy, as-cast bullets were .357"; within SAECO / Redding specs I'm sure, yet a bit undersize for decent accuracy in many 9mm handguns. Ran the bullets through an oversize die. I tried seven powders. According to my old notes, best accuracy was with 3 grs. Bullseye. Muzzle velocity was 867 fps in a Beretta. Bullets were seated to an OAL of 1.16", probably about max. for the Beretta (or most other) 9mm magazines.

tazman
02-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Every gun is different and makes it's own rules. That's one of the reasons we have so many powders.
It's always interesting when you find a powder combination that works wonderfully but might not be the one that many would recommend in that situation. I have had that happen myself. Particularly during the recent shortages where it became necessary to use what you could find, not necessarily what you wanted.

dubber123
02-08-2015, 12:12 PM
My favorite boolit for 9mm weighs 150+ grains. It ran 155 out of the last alloy I used. It is the most accurate I have tried yet. Give it a whirl, you may be surprised. I have been using Green Dot due to a large supply on hand. Good luck.

LubeckTech
02-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Every gun is different and makes it's own rules. That's one of the reasons we have so many powders.
It's always interesting when you find a powder combination that works wonderfully but might not be the one that many would recommend in that situation. I have had that happen myself. Particularly during the recent shortages where it became necessary to use what you could find, not necessarily what you wanted.

I agree whole heartedly!
It is also my experience what works well on one gun may be a total bust in a different gun - each has it's own personality.
My WaltherPPQ is a good example of a "picky" gun in that it shoots all types of plated very accurately but I have trouble finding a cast boolit load which does not tumble let alone group well. However my M&P 9L shoots almost anything I put in it very well.

Here is what I tried with the 156gr boolits that fell from the SAECO 910 mold;
The velocities were recorded using my RIA 1911 9mm A2

3.5 WSF 1.10 OAL 888fps average
Even my PPQ likes this one!

3.6gr AutoComp 1.10 OAL 872fps average
groups well but might be starting to tumble

3.7gr Longshot 1.10 OAL 875fps average
Tumbles in PPQ but does well in my RIA 1911 and M&P 9L

3.2 Bullseye 1.10 OAL 900fps average
Does not group well in the RIA 1911 or PPQ (starting to yaw) but produces nice groups in my M&P 9L
I am going to drop this to 3.0gr or so and see it it straightens out. My goal is loads that make a 125 power factor for IDPA.

3.7 CFE Pistol 1.10 OAL 860fps average
Great load for M&P 9L but tumbles in RIA 1911 and PPQ.

Next I am going to try 4.0gr of HERCO.
I have a couple of pounds of it I want to use up.