PDA

View Full Version : First time seating cores

customcutter
02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
I was working on my core seating die a few weeks back and thought I was a .219 ID. I figured I had better learn to pour some cores and try swaging them. Got that done, and today I tried seating a few cores. What an adventure, I think I'm getting "old timers". First off I forgot to clean my die from when I was polishing it, when I tried to punch it out of the die, my brass punch punched through the jacket and lead core. I used a small tap to extract the core after drilling it out a little larger then got some blaster and Q-tips and cleaned the die. Second try I forgot to lube the jacket, so back to the tap again.[smilie=b: Finally on the third try I remembered to lube the jacket and it punched out easily with the brass 3/32 punch. I made 5 cores and they all measured .2225-.2235, rotating the jackets and measuring in several places on each seated core. I was measuring with cheap HF calipers, and they will vary slightly depending on how hard you close them. I'll try again with a micrometer and see what they measure. I also noted that some of them dented on the bases from the punch so I'm thinking of making a flanged punch with a base of .221 about and 1/8" deep and then stepping down to 3/32" or 1/8" shaft to exit out the top of the die.

I guess I got lucky when I quit polishing at .219 and it turned out to be .223.

Point forming die is around the corner. I think I'm going to try and program a core shaker on the cnc mill that I finally got running. Should take less time to program than hand feeding cores into jackets a few hundred times.;)

customcutter
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Just tried to turn a piece of 1/2" W-1 down to 1/8" with a .221 base that was 3" long. I had it down to .165", but didn't think .028 was enough support between the shoulder of the base and the die. Now it's a horseshoe almost. I tried turning it with a live center over the entire length. I guess I'll start over, turning only 1/2" at a time until I get 3".:groner:

I guess it's part of the trials of learning to use machine equipment without an instructor.

garandsrus
02-07-2015, 05:07 PM
It's a whole lot easier to buy drill rod the diameter you need. It will be dimensionally correct and polished. You can make a "base" for it and press fit the pieces together.

customcutter
02-07-2015, 05:21 PM
It's a whole lot easier to buy drill rod the diameter you need. It will be dimensionally correct and polished. You can make a "base" for it and press fit the pieces together.

Garandsrus, thanks that's pretty much the conclusion I have come too. I've tried 3 different ways to turn it down and it has snapped off every time at .150-.165". Not worth setting up a steady rest if it can even be done. I may try some 3/32 or 1/8 music wire. I know a lot folks are using it as a punch for their point forming dies and I need 1/16" for that anyway.