PDA

View Full Version : 310 tong tool

223tenx
02-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Somewhere I've read an article or ran across the name of a fellow who buys old tong tools and refurbs them and resells them. He also was supposed to have a nice selection of dies too. Does this ring a bell with any body here? I have a friend who's looking to buy one with different cal. dies and wants to check him out. TIA

utk
02-28-2008, 05:27 PM
This one?

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

223tenx
02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks UTK, that's it.

floodgate
02-28-2008, 10:24 PM
223tenx:

That is Randy Davis, in Tombstone, AZ. You can now go direct to his website (it was down for a while over a domain name dispute) at <www.the310shop.com> and see his current lisiting and pricing. I've done a LOT of business with him over the past few years (both ways), and he is definitely one of the "Good Guys"! He has a machinist now making perfect replacements for some of the scarcer dies and tool sets.

floodgate

223tenx
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks Floodgate. I've never really paid a lot of attention to these before. Their expensive little suckers, aren't they?

trooperdan
02-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Pete, what caliber is your friend looking for? I have a few sets and might have a dupe of what your friend needs.

PS And I'm starting to collect S&W wheel guns.. now THOSE are pricy!

223tenx
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Trooper Dan
He's thinking about 30-30 first. But I will have to check with him about any others. I'll see him Monday--It's supposed to be in the seventies and DRY. We're goin' to the range.

223tenx
03-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Trooperdan,
They may be pricey but thay sure are pretty. First pistol I ever bought was a S&W Model 14 and I loved that gun.

Three44s
03-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Go to Lyman and search the 310 tool ......... you can buy new for much less.

Three 44s

scb
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I've been thinking about picking up a 310 tool to play with. I've been passing over aluminum ones in hopes of finding a good steel tool. The reason being durability. Am I on the right track? Seems like I read somewhere here that the aluminum ones had advantages over the steel. Thanks for your input.

floodgate
03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
scb:

The steel tools are pretty as compared with the aluminum ones (I have maybe 10 of each), BUT (a) they are a lot heavier, and can be tiring to use for a long session; (b) except for a very brief period, just before the transition to the aluminum ones, they were caliber-specific - i.e., bored out for a specific case head size, and stamped with the caliber designation; and (c) the "knuckle" on the inside of the upper handle that bears on the case head would wear quite rapidly as it moves into and across the head. These problems were fixed in the last few steel ones made (around 1956-57, if my aging memory serves), which had a "wear plate" of hardened steel screwed onto the knuckle, and the die seat was bored out for an interchangeable adapter for various case head diameters that screwed in from the inside (they also added an adjustment nut to fine-tune the shell extracting hook). These came in two sizes, stamped "S" or "L", with short and longer "nozzles" for pistol and short rifle vs. longer rifle cases, respectively. (If you find one stamped "LS" or "SPL", PM me ASAP - these were threaded oversize for fat cases like the .348, .50-70 and 8mm Lebel, and are SCARCE!) These improvements were shortly carried over to the aluminum handles, which also solved the weight problem (but the Al handles are not marked for short or long; you have to eyeball them).

SOOO..... If you just want to play with a single caliber and find a good older steel set with dies and don't plan on volume reloading, the older steel sets are fine and fun to use. If you want to load several calibers, or are going for volume, get the aluminum-handled sets. When buying dies, some of those made for the later version of the little Tru-Line Junior bench press - those with the decapping die marked "CMR" or "FL" - will not work in the 310 due to its limited travel; the older 4- or 5-die sets, however, are interchangeable between the 310 and the T-L Jr., provided you have the 310-type primer seating die. PM me if you want more specific information on a particuar set; and also check the 310 Shop website.

floodgate

hydraulic
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Midway wants $56 for the handles and $53 for the dies. Or is it the otherway around?????

scb
03-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Floodgate thanks for the insight, scb. BTW I'll keep you in mind on the LS or SPL's - you never know.

trooperdan
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Don't forget the modern equivalent of the 310 tool, the Lee hand press! Not much bigger, much easier to use and uses all standard dies. Lot cheaper than a set of 310 stuff as well. But I know, there is just something about the 310 tool, I still like!

223tenx
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Trooperdan,
I think my bud is going to email you about the 30-30 310 dies. His handle is "Ficus".

TAWILDCATT
03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
the Modern Bond tools were better but heavy as they were bronze.they took special dies 11/16 x 18 but could do rifle cal and pistol in same handle I have three and dies,made hundreds of rds in 45 acp-38 acp-8 mm mauser. :coffee:[smilie=1: