PDA

View Full Version : Lee old style hand primer

KBP
02-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Hi to All! This is my first post on this forum and I need some help! I have been reloading for 40 years and just bought my first Marlin 1895G 45/70. I want to reload, and have almost everything ready to start but my trusty Lee hand priming tool needs the 45/70 screw on type shell holder. I think the shell holder number is R. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I am willing to buy that one or even an entire set. Yes, I have the Lee auto prime, but like the old screw on hand primer much better. Thanks for any help !

Snow ninja
02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
You are correct, it is the R size that you'll need, but I can't find them anywhere. I'll keep an eye out though...

KBP
02-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Snow ninja! Thanks for your reply and offer to try to find the shell holder!

Skipper
02-06-2015, 03:01 PM
You could keep an eye out on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=lee+priming+tool+shell+holder+old+style&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Presses-Accessories-/71120/i.html?_dcat=71120&Type=Priming%2520Tool

Or grab a new one at Titan Reloading and use the modern shell holders:
http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders

KBP
02-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all that replied! Now, I have to find a case trimmer that works with the 45/70! The short Hornady 45/70 case!

1989toddm
02-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Hi to All! This is my first post on this forum and I need some help! I have been reloading for 40 years and just bought my first Marlin 1895G 45/70. I want to reload, and have almost everything ready to start but my trusty Lee hand priming tool needs the 45/70 screw on type shell holder. I think the shell holder number is R. Does anyone know where I can buy one? I am willing to buy that one or even an entire set. Yes, I have the Lee auto prime, but like the old screw on hand primer much better. Thanks for any help !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34356-Lee-threaded-shell-holder-sizes

Check this thread for guys who might have the shell holder you need, and a good reference list.

02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Those short Hornady cases are a pain. I separate them and use them for my roundball loads.

fryboy
02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
i cant recall which ones gunpartscorp ended up with but they had a few of the old style ( mine are the more common ones )

michiganmike
02-28-2015, 11:15 PM

And lucky you for having a working old style Lee hand primer. Mine broke and my only option was the new Lee model. It is NOT as reliable as the old one. I keep getting two primers on top of the seating ram, regardless of how careful I am.

Unusual for Lee, they made a fix for a nonexistent problem and in the process created one. Take good care of it.

Ben
02-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Here is my experience with the new LEE IMPROVED ERGO VERSION ( not good ).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?244477-Lee-Ergo-Prime-Priming-Tool

borg
03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know if the lever that pushes up the primer punch will fit the old auto prime?
The first ones were made of pot metal and wore out after a while.
Later, the came out with a good steel one that didn't and I didn't get one, should've.

cajun shooter
03-11-2015, 09:56 AM
KBP, I started loading in 68-69 with a Lee Hand loader in 38 spl, which I still have by the way. I purchased the old Lee screw on primer after scaring myself and my wife with the hammer in feature of seating the primers. If you ever need another one I will hand it down to you. Later David

PS Do yourself a favor and purchase the RCBS model hand primer. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Ken in Iowa
03-17-2015, 11:15 AM
KBP, I started loading in 68-69 with a Lee Hand loader in 38 spl, which I still have by the way. I purchased the old Lee screw on primer after scaring myself and my wife with the hammer in feature of seating the primers. If you ever need another one I will hand it down to you. Later David

PS Do yourself a favor and purchase the RCBS model hand primer. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

+1 on the RCBS hand primer.

Did you find your shell holder KBP?

afish4570
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know if the lever that pushes up the primer punch will fit the old auto prime?
The first ones were made of pot metal and wore out after a while.
Later, the came out with a good steel one that didn't and I didn't get one, should've.

I shim the worn spot on the piston rod like part with a thin piece of beer or soda can cut a tiny bit wider than the worn part. Generously lube with auto chaisis grease and reassemble......will take alittle fussing and poking to get it to fit.....Should be fine, just regrease occasionally or double thickness of shim to make up for wear. I do this repair on my newer Lee Hand Primer too, the model before the Ergonomic one....afish4570