PDA

View Full Version : Colt 2nd Gen 45 Colt question

haswipp
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Hi,

My loacal gun shop has a colt SAA, s/n 9153SA. Its a 7-1/2 inch barrel in 45LC. He is asking $1540, it does have some holster wear and it comes with 2 extra sets of grips. I would guess rate it at 80-90%.
Is this a good deal? Not familiar with 45LC, I would cast and buy dies if its a good deal. Not sure if this would be a shooter.

Oh ya, no box or papers.

Thanks

jim 44-40
02-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Hi,

My loacal gun shop has a colt SAA, s/n 9153SA. Its a 7-1/2 inch barrel in 45LC. He is asking $1540, it does have some holster wear and it comes with 2 extra sets of grips. I would guess rate it at 80-90%.
Is this a good deal? Not familiar with 45LC, I would cast and buy dies if its a good deal. Not sure if this would be a shooter.

Oh ya, no box or papers.

ThanksThat's alot of $$$ If it was me I would take
1540.00 and buy 3 Rugers

Love Life
02-06-2015, 02:07 PM
I'd offer $1,200 and go from there. I bought a gen 3 for $1100 with no box and papers after I explained to the man that it was A) not pristine B) Fired D) Box and papers actually are worth something.

Snow ninja
02-06-2015, 02:26 PM
I'd offer $1,200 and go from there.

I agree, I'd start there and work my way up. I wouldn't go past $1400 (at least in my neck of the woods), 2nd gens at the last couple of guns shows I went to were ranging $1200 (with a lot of wear), to about $2100 (pristine and with original box and papers). Average was about $1300 or so.

dubber123
02-06-2015, 06:47 PM
My opinion is , just how much is it worth that it be a Colt brand? I have heard from many that the USFA produced guns are really far superior in most ways to the originals. If I wanted a shooter, I'm betting that same money would buy a really nice USFA, with some loading cash left over.

thegatman
02-06-2015, 07:10 PM
If you are a collector, you can do better with no box or papers. If you want a shooter the Ruger Vaquero is cool and the new one hefts like a Colt but has to use Cowboy loads.

Love Life
02-07-2015, 08:32 AM
My opinion is , just how much is it worth that it be a Colt brand? I have heard from many that the USFA produced guns are really far superior in most ways to the originals. If I wanted a shooter, I'm betting that same money would buy a really nice USFA, with some loading cash left over.

A good condition USFA is going to run as much as an equal or new condition SAA.

smkummer
02-07-2015, 08:57 AM
A Colt SAA 7 1/2 45 is an outstanding shooter and how the gun was originally designed. I have a late 3 gen. in this configuration and the quality is outstanding. It is very comfortable shooting a standard 250 grain bullet going out at 850-900 FPS. Colt will not work on second generation guns anymore made up to 1975. Not that is will need work but barrel threads and other action parts are different than 3rd. guns. Others well known smiths will of course. I too don't get to excited about 2nd generation guns when the price shoots up as the latest factory guns are top quality. Some of the early 3rd generation guns had issues and I can attest to that, they were fixable but non the less, at Colts price, they should not have had issues. For some people, 3 rugers does not satisfy what one Colt will do.

Love Life
02-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Nothing like the BOOM of black powder, the smoke and smell, and the ping on steel shooting from a jean-u-wine Colt SAA.

For that money I would find a shop that can order you a SAA. It may take 40 years for Colt to ship it, but you'll get it eventually and it'll immediately be worth more than you paid.

On an aside, have ya'll noticed a serious uptick in quality coming from Colt lately? The last several Colt handguns I have looked at have been very nice.

birch
02-07-2015, 11:30 AM
If you have always wanted one, the two or three hundred dollars you might save by waiting for a cheaper one, is really negligible. I have a late third cavalry. I bought it unfired, and couldn't get five in the chamber fast enough. There is no USFA SAA that has a prancing pony on the side. LONG LIVE CPFMC!!!

Silver Jack Hammer
02-07-2015, 01:06 PM
The 2nd Gen Colt's bring prices higher than the 3rd Gens, that's a good price for a 2nd Gen. I wouldn't expect the shop to take a lesser price. The 2nd Gen's are different and people say they are better than the 3rd's, that's the way it is. I can't say I personally agree, but the 2nd Gen's are different than the 3rd's. If you like the gun I'd buy it. I have only 3rd Gens which I buy because they cost less. I own Rugers too and I passed up a USFA .45 43/4" NIB and don't regret it. You'll really own something special if you buy it, and if you want to you can sell it and get your money back.

The Colt's are their own culture. You'll learn their idiosyncrasy sometimes unique to the individual gun you own. Colt's and cast boolits just go together like none other. Colt's respond to various alloys and there is nothing more rewarding that getting a Colt to shoot right.'

Check the front sight for evidence of somebody filing it down. If you want to shoot full weight boolits and somebody filed down the front sight your looking at having to re-barrel it because there's really no replacing the front sight. Finding a 2nd Gen barrel and replacing it is a lot of money.

Check it over for evidence of somebody altering it. If the trigger guard and frame don't match together with straight lines somebody might have filed off the serial number. Check the barrel where it meets the frame, if the barrel metal is wrinkled then some ham handed self proclaimed gunsmith put a barrel on wrong. If that's the case walk away.

doc1876
02-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I have several Colts and Rugers. What Silver Jack Hammer says is right on the money. I love all of my Colts all of the time, and only like my Rugers when I am shooting them. They are a pain to clean, and other issues that are a personal nature, because of my Living History work, Colts are the best way for me to go. in my book a Colt is a Colt, and that is all there is to say.