PDA

View Full Version : Frankford Arsenal scale?

crabo
02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone tried Midways Frankford Arsenal scale at $30? Is there a good reason to spend an extra hundred to get Dillions electroic scale?

I want to weigh my boolits quickly and also as a back up to my beam scale.

Thanks,

Crabo

opentop
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Inquiring minds want to know!

LET-CA
02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
I use one, but don't use it for measuring powder. It doesn't track real well as you trickle powder onto the scale.

I use mine to check the weight of my cast bullets. The only caviat I offer is that you should toss the battery that comes with it and put a new one right away. Several people have had problems that were all traceable to a weak battery. Other than that, it's a wonderful little scale, weighing in half a dozen formats (ounces, grams, dwt, grains, etc.)

Steelshooter
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Mine goes crazy every once in awhile, I let it shut off by itself, then turn it back on and its works fine. Can't beat it for the money and the time it saves weighting bullets.
Chuck

94Doug
02-28-2008, 08:08 PM
My question about it was; is it the same one you can pick up for less on ebay, they look the same from what I can tell. Anyone have any experience?

Doug

TAWILDCATT
02-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I got mine from midsouth for $24.99 called "smart reloader".seems to be ok.
--:coffee:--:coffee:---[smilie=1:--:Fire:

lv2tinker
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I bought one last year from Midway and returned it a week later. It was the most annoying scale I have EVER used. Never gave the same weight twice in a row, battries only lasted a few hours at most etc. etc.
Not worth what you pay for it, and it is "cheap".

Cheers

LET-CA
02-29-2008, 03:52 AM
I bought one last year from Midway and returned it a week later. It was the most annoying scale I have EVER used. Never gave the same weight twice in a row, battries only lasted a few hours at most etc. etc.
Not worth what you pay for it, and it is "cheap".

Cheers

Sounds like you got a lemon. I've not had any trouble with mine in over a year.

crabo
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I ordered this one last night. I'll give a report. They claim it is good enough for trickling powder. We'll see.

http://www.eabco.com/electronicpowderscale.htm

Crabo

mbk
02-29-2008, 10:29 PM
I have one of the cheap scales from Midway. I do not have a lot of faith in it and only use it to weigh bullets and brass. It works fairly well if you weigh items relatively rapidly in sucession. If you wait 15-20 seconds between items, its little mind seems to wander and the zero follows. I have rewieghed the same pan of powder and had as much a 6 tenths of a grain varience over 5 repeated weighings. For me that is not close enough for weighing powder especially on very small cases. I have a couple small calibers that 2-3 tenths can make the alligators come out and bite you. This is the second scale, the first one I had was even worse and Midway replaced it. I have not read the reviews for a long time but when I got mine, it looked like the first of these scales Midway sold were good and they got progessively worse later on.

Mike

compass will
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM
I have one from Midway. When doing rifle loading, I set tare on the primed empty case (tare on each case as there is differences from case to case), I charge the case then weigh it again. This is just a safety thing I have gotten into, looking for low or double charges.
but I also keep checking every 5th or 10th load on my beam scale.

chuebner
03-01-2008, 11:39 PM
I ordered this one last night. I'll give a report. They claim it is good enough for trickling powder. We'll see.

http://www.eabco.com/electronicpowderscale.htm

Crabo

I hope you have better luck with the one you get. Mine went belly up after 2 mo., the replacement lasted 4 mo. I now have the one from Midway and it works like a champ. Matches two beam scales to within .1gr. I also calibrate it each loading session since it only takes a few seconds.

Charlie

blysmelter
03-02-2008, 06:04 AM
What about this one from midsouth?
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047SR750

timkelley
03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Crabo, I have one of those scales. I've had it six months or longer and it works fine. I do what you say you want to do.

compass will
03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Most of the complaints I read on Midway related to the batteries they come with being junk. Mine needed batteries after about 4 hours of use. New batteries work great. Also don't touch the batteries, keep the contact surfaces clean.