PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting the new Winchester 17 SM?

leadman
02-06-2015, 03:14 AM
I have read a couple of article on this cartridge and it is interesting with a velocity of around 3,000 fps.
Have not seen many owners comments on it and tried a search here and came up with nothing.
Would like to read comments from members that shoot this cartridge as I am interested in a barrel for my Contender.

rbertalotto
02-06-2015, 08:25 AM
This has turned into a sales disaster. It should have been a 20 caliber. The 17HMR is such a fantastic cartridge we did't need another 17. And then the 17Fireball totally blows it away and is reloadable.

I often wonder what these firearm companies are thinking when they come out with new cartridges. In the last ten years, I can easily count a dozen disasters......mostly "Short/Fat" cartridges from Remington, Winchester, TC

yovinny
02-06-2015, 11:51 AM
FWIW;
Two of my shooting buddies got them when they first hit. I was interested myself, but waited to see what results they found first.
One put a cheap bushnell scope on it, shot it once or twice and I never saw or heard about it again. The other went for good glass (leupold 4-12) but had a bunch of ammo issues (neck split and cracked cases) and found accuracy very lacking.
I believe he finally gave up on it and traded it towards a 700 in 300BO, as he hasent mentioned it since last summer and I havent asked.
When he first brought and showed me the bad brass, I decided to pass on the caliber altogether, but he did tell me later that the manufacturer bought the ammo back from him.
Cheers, YV