PDA

View Full Version : RCBS lube die

rtracy2001
02-05-2015, 10:34 PM
I want to get set up to load 30 carbine on a progressive press, but rumor has it that even with a carbide sizing die, the 30 carbine doesn't work well without (at least a little) case lube. The obvious (to me) solution to avoid lubing the cases before loading is to use a lube die in the de-capping position. RCBS makes one, but not for the 30 carbine. Any thoughts about using the one made for 223? It probably won't be perfect, but if I use a carbide sizer, then the lube requirements are reduced somewhat.

http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Lube-Dies.aspx

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Lube_Die_Instructions.pdf

Muskrat Mike
02-05-2015, 10:56 PM
I want to get set up to load 30 carbine on a progressive press, but rumor has it that even with a carbide sizing die, the 30 carbine doesn't work well without (at least a little) case lube. The obvious (to me) solution to avoid lubing the cases before loading is to use a lube die in the de-capping position. RCBS makes one, but not for the 30 carbine. Any thoughts about using the one made for 223? It probably won't be perfect, but if I use a carbide sizer, then the lube requirements are reduced somewhat.

http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Lube-Dies.aspx

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Lube_Die_Instructions.pdf

I'm just thinking out loud but if you have a carbide sizing die wouldn't it be enough help if you just spread the cases on a towel and gave them a light spray of Hornady's One Shot Lube? I do that to my 9mm's and don't worry about getting them all covered and they fly through the sizing die.

rtracy2001
02-05-2015, 11:02 PM
I could do that, but I was hoping to avoid it if possible. I do that with 223/556 on my turret press and it works, but is quite the mess. running that though the case collator and feeder on the progressive could be an invitation to gum up the works.

wcp4570
02-06-2015, 02:41 PM
For what it's wort I use a set of Lee carbide dies and never lube brass before sizing. All my 30 carbine are shot in a Ruger Blackhawk.

wcp

rtracy2001
02-06-2015, 07:15 PM
For what it's wort I use a set of Lee carbide dies and never lube brass before sizing. All my 30 carbine are shot in a Ruger Blackhawk.

wcp

That is interesting. You are the first I have heard say anything but "lube every 5-10 cases or you will get a stuck case, even with carbide dies." Maybe I will just have to give it a try without lube. I have an old CMP carbine (Saginaw receiver, Rock-ola barrel), hopefully it won't make a difference.

Bullwolf
02-06-2015, 07:38 PM
I use a RCBS 30 carbine Carbide die set.

I've always lubed my cases with lanolin/Bag Balm before sizing 30 carbine, especially so with old military cases.

It feels like it makes them easier to re-size, (takes less effort) and I figured I would be less likely to stick a case that way.

Perhaps it's an unnecessary precaution. Doing this would be a big drawback if I was loading 30 carbine progressively.

Think I might have sized one or two 30 carbine before without using any lube, but there was probably some residual lube left inside the size die still.

I mainly lube my 30 carbine brass even when using carbide sizing dies, as 30 carbine and .223 are probably a couple of the easiest cases to stick in a sizing die.

Maybe I'm just overly cautious?

Best of luck either way you decide to go, and please report your results back to us, if you decide not to use any case lube.

- Bullwolf

cheese1566
02-06-2015, 11:44 PM
The lube die uses an internal felt ring that saturates with liquid case lube. I used one in my progressive when loading 223.
I don't have a 30 carbine to compare, but I bet it would work. The felt ring is thick enough to compact if needed. I did find some cases got really lined at first until a few went through.

Skunk1
02-08-2015, 09:46 AM
I might have to try one. Wanted to load 223 on a dillon but didn't like the fact I had to lube brass before I put them in. I like to tumble the lube off before I do the final loading.

rtracy2001
02-08-2015, 12:39 PM
I might have to try one. Wanted to load 223 on a dillon but didn't like the fact I had to lube brass before I put them in. I like to tumble the lube off before I do the final loading.

A buddy of mine at work put me onto it. He uses one in the first position on his Loadmaster for 223. 1st position: decap and lube, 2nd position: resize (with decapping pin removed) and prime, etc. He claims it works very, very well. In fact he has worn his die out and needs to rebuild it.