PDA

View Full Version : Ffl question

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Someone asked me if a revolver with 3 cylinders missing and the top strap torn loose would still need papers or be considered a tutorial object?

It was last purchased around 1965 and the previous owner is long gone to the great range.

I do not ever recall anyone asking this kind of question before so share your thoughts PLEASE.

Reg
02-05-2015, 10:39 PM
If it's a frame with a serial number on it believe it or not it still is a FFL item and will be until it is legally destroyed.
You will need a license to make a transfer and don't worry about the previous owner being gone. Just have the license holder call the local office and they will tell how to write it up.
In this case they may consider it as being destroyed but I would let them make that call.

Iron Whittler
02-05-2015, 10:53 PM
I would venture to say it is no longer a firearm. The top strap being in that condition would render it unusable as a firearm. Outside of being a cutaway teaching tool, it has no use other than for salvage of a few screws and springs. However, This Is Only MY Opinion. Given our current Political Climate, check with BATFE.

WILCO
02-06-2015, 12:17 AM
If it's a frame with a serial number on it believe it or not it still is a FFL item and will be until it is legally destroyed.

That's how I see it.

rockrat
02-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Call BATFE and see if it is considered destroyed, and if so, have the current owner report it destroyed. It might have to be cut in two places to be considered destroyed

PULSARNC
02-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Per the my gunsmith ,according to the ATF it will still be considered a firearm until it is demilled by cutting it into 3 pieces.This question came to mind when I inquired about a rifle I own that blew up from an SEE .

shooterg
02-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Yup. It's legally still a firearm. Was at my LGS once when the ATF was doing a check - they had a whole box of such stuff, revolvers with no cylinders, no barrels, etc. All had to be on the books.

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2015, 01:51 PM
When dealing with the ATF, err on the side of caution.