PDA

View Full Version : RCBS lube die question

gobbles23
02-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I recently got a lube die to size .223. I kept squirting lube in the hole and leery it sit and nothing. The felt pad never got lube on it. I was able to pull the aluminum sleeve out and noticed all of the lube was on the outside of the sleeve and not inside where the felt pad is located. The sleeve when installed in the die extends up past the fill hole and all of the lube runs down the outside of the sleeve. Did I get a defective piece?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-05-2015, 11:50 PM
gobbles,

No, you didn't get a defective piece. That hole to put lube in is useless as a boar's breasts. Just squirt the lube directly on the felt pad until it's soaked good. The first shell or two will be a bit heavy with lube, but every one after that will work great. Add more lube when you notice sizing effort begin to increase. Tumble when done to remove lube before loading.

I have two of these in .308 and .223 calibers I use to deprime and lube my cases for sizing and trimming in a Dillon case trimmer. They work great when used as I've described.

gobbles23
02-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I ended up squirting lube in the bottom and at one point I took the felt pad all the way out. I just can't understand why there is a hole to fill it up if the hole doesn't allow the lube to get to the felt