PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Pink passed temp test

nekshot
02-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I stiffened up my Ben's Red with some more bees wax( Ben graciously reminded me then its no longer Ben's Red and I agree) so I call it Ben's Pink because of the now pale red color. I have this load for my savage 111 30-06 that is really making me happy. It is a RD165, 25gr of sr4759, fired by winLR and it shoots at 80 yards consistant into 1 inch with no flyers leaving the groub any time of the day. This of course is now my hunting load for this gun.I was wondering how it would shoot the first shot in real hunting situations. So I shot 2 shots at 40 degrees(I pulled the trigger and that gave the flyer) next day it got 65 degrees and laid the gun and cartridge in sun and when everything was nice and warm I shot 1 shot. Great 2 different temps and no difference in accuracy. I had to wait for a cold wave and we got it. I had the gun and ammo out overnite at 10 degrees so I shot a shot and it was 1 1/2 inch low. I waited a half hour for sunrise at the coldest time and shot another. Showing the typical tight groub this load produces. I figured if we get to 30 degrees and I shoot it should fill in the gap. The temp got to 24 degrees and I had to shoot because of schedule and it stayed with the coldest shots. I am out of boolits so the test is over, Ben's Pink works in our missouri hunting temps. I believe this is the first load I ever produced that will give repeatability that my emotions need. If only the other guns would do this on demand!129643

Ben
02-05-2015, 07:46 PM
GREAT ! !

Glad the lube is working well for you.

Ben

35 shooter
02-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Good test nekshot. Your results are exactly the reason i use Ben's Red. I've tested it at 15* and at 100* with a 112*heat index and found the same thing you did. One thing i found that keeps ALL shots in the group no matter the temp. so far, is to swab the bore with atf oil before shooting or hunting. One wet patch straight through the bore and out the end. Then one dry patch straight through and out the end. I remove the patch before pulling the rod back out. That little bit of lubrication works in my rifle for 1st shots in the group no matter the temp. Don't know about zero degree or less weather, but it gave no signs of giving up at 15*.

Good to see someone else have results like that. Btw mine came out more pinkish than red too, but i think i got the red and tacky cooked a bit. Anyway mine is the original version without the extra beeswax and it works great!! The atf trick is just a tip that works for me...it may or may not work for you and your rifle.
Looks like your doing great without it.:smile:

kbstenberg
02-05-2015, 08:35 PM
How much extra BW did you add?

wlc
02-05-2015, 11:03 PM
I'd also like to hear how much additional beeswax you added. Another thing, your rifle is built backwards:). I can say that being a lefty myself even though I shoot right handed.

nekshot
02-06-2015, 08:48 AM
How much extra BW did you add?

I had about a 3/4 full original mix and added about a 2x2x2 block of wax. I hardly ever use my lyman sizer as I shoot alot of boolits as dropped and I hand lube and hand seat the boolits or use a vice to get the crimp in neck or any thing else. Totally nonprofessional and also non of these boolits were sorted by weight or looks. If it has a decent heal on goes the check. I am a recovering burnt out bench rest shooter from the 70's and this is fun with out getting rearendish with details.

nekshot
02-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Good test nekshot. Your results are exactly the reason i use Ben's Red. I've tested it at 15* and at 100* with a 112*heat index and found the same thing you did. One thing i found that keeps ALL shots in the group no matter the temp. so far, is to swab the bore with atf oil before shooting or hunting. One wet patch straight through the bore and out the end. Then one dry patch straight through and out the end. I remove the patch before pulling the rod back out. That little bit of lubrication works in my rifle for 1st shots in the group no matter the temp. Don't know about zero degree or less weather, but it gave no signs of giving up at 15*.

Good to see someone else have results like that. Btw mine came out more pinkish than red too, but i think i got the red and tacky cooked a bit. Anyway mine is the original version without the extra beeswax and it works great!! The atf trick is just a tip that works for me...it may or may not work for you and your rifle.
Looks like your doing great without it.:smile:

Glad others have found this to be true. I will try your bore treatment because with this lube I hardly ever look down the bore anymore. Lube is one thing I don't doubt with bad groubs!

Bigslug
02-07-2015, 10:54 AM
I stiffened up my Ben's Red with some more bees wax( Ben graciously reminded me then its no longer Ben's Red and I agree) so I call it Ben's Pink because of the now pale red color.

So by that token, increasing the amount of Lucas Red & Tacky grease to make the lube softer/sticker would result in a REALLY red product that's not Ben's Red either.

Would we call this Ben's Clinging Communist Lube?

osteodoc08
02-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Minute of deer without a doubt.

nekshot
02-07-2015, 02:22 PM
So by that token, increasing the amount of Lucas Red & Tacky grease to make the lube softer/sticker would result in a REALLY red product that's not Ben's Red either.

Would we call this Ben's Clinging Communist Lube?

the word clinging could be a hazard to those who believe the lube spins off boolit in flight but I sure like the sound of Ben"s Commy Lube!

SSGOldfart
02-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Works all.most as go as BLL I'll stay with Ben's red for rifle shooting and Ben'sLL and tumbling for handguns,I'm testing both for the Encore rounds
Thanks again Ben:-P

Ben
02-07-2015, 07:00 PM
You are very welcome,
Ben

wlc
02-07-2015, 11:27 PM
the word clinging could be a hazard to those who believe the lube spins off boolit in flight but I sure like the sound of Ben"s Commy Lube!

But if its called Ben's Commie Lube can it only be loaded in Commie calibers????:)

tonyjones
02-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Gentlemen,

Commie lube? That's no way to treat our friend from Alabama.

Tony

Ben
02-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Thank you Tony ! !

We have a lot of things in Alabama but not Commie's.

I really don't care for that name at all and don't like my own name being tied to it !

I put quite a bit of time and effort into both Ben's Red and Ben's Liquid lube, I've freely shared both. I've never attempted to make a penny off of either ( and I won't in the future either ).

If I could ask for one thing however, it would be :

I'd like the names of both lubes to be left alone.

If you like either , use them and enjoy them. If you want to modify them into something that I never planned or wanted for my friends here on the forum , fine - - but rename your new lube with YOUR NAME, not mine.

If some of you want to make a lube and name it by attaching your name to the phrase " Commie ", that's fine with me but please leave my name out of it.

Ben

nekshot
02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Whoa!!! Sorry Ben, never thought of it to be offensive and for that I apologize!

Ben
02-08-2015, 09:47 AM
nekshot,

Maybe I'm a bit touchy about this, but I buried 4 of my high school classmates in the late 1960's who died from bullets fired by Communist troops.

" Commie's " are not my friends and I want nothing to do with them or even that name................

I would think that not too many of us on this forum would want to see our first and/or last name with the word " Commie " attached to it.

Ben

35 shooter
02-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Haven't tried the extra 5% beeswax in Ben's Red yet. The batch i made was the original recipe and i still have a good bit of it left.
Went to the range today to test a new boolit and Ben's Red delivered again!!

Noe 360230 fngc boolit
Sagebrush7's new .010" hard check
54 gr. imr 4350
Ben's Red lube
35 whelen TC Encore rifle @ 100 yds. 130020
Yea i know...ruined it with the 5th shot
I'm good at that lol!:groner:

Ben
02-08-2015, 11:25 PM
5th shot, ..........UUmmmm , [smilie=b: if that were me, it would be the 3rd, 4th, AND 5th shot.

Believe me, that is a deer killing rig you have there.

Great shooting,

Ben

35 shooter
02-09-2015, 01:22 AM
5th shot, ..........UUmmmm , [smilie=b: if that were me, it would be the 3rd, 4th, AND 5th shot.

Believe me, that is a deer killing rig you have there.

Great shooting,

Ben
Thanks Ben.That rifle (Ol Contrary) did account for my first two deer this year with cast in a modern rifle. Made me feel like a kid again. I was shooting the same load as above , but with a 358009 280 gr. boolit. The target above was probably beginners luck with a new boolit, but it did try to shoot and i think will hold up to be a good load.
I really like Sagebrush7's new .010" hard al. check so far and combined with Ben's Red lube it makes shooting good groups pretty easy really.