PDA

View Full Version : Herters model 5 beam scale

Blanco
02-05-2015, 05:31 PM
I got one of these in an estate sale ...
Seems really nice but I think it is missing the piece that the beam balances on?
Looking to see if someone has an instruction manual they would copy?
Any possibility of parts if I have a missing piece?

Thanks
Blanco

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2015, 08:28 PM
That piece you are missing is simply a very fine piece of steel wire that the beam rides on.

Pressman
02-05-2015, 09:12 PM
I am down with the flu. When I get my wheels under me I send the instructions and explanation of what you need to get it back in operation.
Ken

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2015, 09:27 PM
I fiqured that you had the instructions Ken, I don't.

Get well soon!

Blanco
02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the help. This looks to be a really nice piece of equipment. It will be a nice addition to my bench.

MtGun44
02-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Does it sit on the wire or clamp to it? Some scales used to have a twisting wire
pivot, ULTRA low friction, just the force to twist a small, tightly stretched wire,
which would eventually break.

Bill

Pressman
02-14-2015, 09:23 AM
A follow up.

Finally, I just sent off the instructions and pictures to Blanco of how the scale operates.

These scales turn up a lot, often with the wire missing. The beam hides on a fine wire stretched very tightly across the frame. The wire must be very small in diameter, and very strong. Guitar strings are too large. There is nothing at the hardware store that will work either.
The only wire I have found that has the strength and right size is dental wire. You will probably have to get it from an orthodontist as the average dentist does not use it.
The wire must be stretched tightly with the spring holding tension and taking up any slack that might occur.

Ken

FWest
02-14-2015, 07:58 PM
I found this same scale at a gun show a few years ago, picked it up cheap and used stainless steel wire used for fly tying (fly fishing).

seagiant
02-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Hi,
Here's a pic in case anyone is wondering what everyone is talking about!