PDA

View Full Version : Ruger interchange

ajjohns
02-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Hopefully not too dumb a question, if I have a Ruger 77/22 in 22mag, can I buy a factory or aftermarket 22 longrifle barrel for it to use? Will the rounds work in the magnum magazine or will a long rifle clip fit in the magnum platform? I thought I saw a chart one time that showed what works with who but I can't find it.

Thanks!

rking22
02-05-2015, 05:48 PM
You could go with a 17HRM, but the LR case dimensions are too different to work in the 22magnum mag. and probably the bolt also. Some use the 22WRF as a low speed round in 22 mag rifles, but they are expensive and obsolete. LR mags are shorter than the 22Magnum mag also. No Go on that swap unless someone has come up with a "bolt nose" swap and special magazine.

pietro
02-05-2015, 07:18 PM
I have a Ruger 77/22 in 22mag, can I buy a factory or aftermarket 22 longrifle barrel for it to use ?

Will the rounds work in the magnum magazine or will a long rifle clip fit in the magnum platform ?

As posted above, only .22WMR or .17HRM cartridges will fit/feed with a magnum magazine.

A 77/22M can be turned into a .22LR rifle, but it's not financially practible, since everything except the bolt & receiver would needed to be changed.

The magnum stock is inletted for the longer .22 magazine & bottom metal, so the shorter LR components will be too small/loose in the magnum stock to fit - which means a LR-inletted stock, which also means procuring LR-length bottom metal & magazine to match the stock's tighter inletting.

The magnum bbl is easily changed out for a LR bbl.

A LR round will burst if fired in a .22 Mag chamber - not a good thing.

ajjohns
02-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Ok, thanks. I just thought maybe if I purchased a new 22 long rifle barrel I could install it, use long rifle rounds rounds in my clip and go from there. I saw the diameter of the rims is are different, magnum about .015? bigger. Maybe it's all a no no.

trapper9260
02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

The gunsmith I deal with show me a LR that was shot in a mag chamber and it did just that burst to the point it split the case.The person that did it bought the rifle at a gun show and was told it was a LR when it was really a Mag.

ajjohns
02-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Ok, well I'm not gonna put a long rifle round in mine, never was. I just thought if the barrels interchange and the smaller rounds could be stripped from my magnum clip I'd be in good to go.

Hardcast416taylor
02-06-2015, 03:16 PM

The gunsmith I deal with show me a LR that was shot in a mag chamber and it did just that burst to the point it split the case.The person that did it bought the rifle at a gun show and was told it was a LR when it was really a Mag.

Many years ago when shooting some 22 mag rounds thru my Ruger single six I forgot to change back to the 22 lr cyclinder and loaded up 6 lr shells and fired them. All were either split or ruptured and all were a pain to remove from their chambers. I learned this lesson the hard way.Robert