PDA

View Full Version : Cat brought a mouse in the house

abunaitoo
02-05-2015, 02:03 AM
My dumb cat brought a mouse in the house.
Of course, right into the gun/stuff room.
Closed the door as soon as I saw it.
Put a cage type mouse trap in.
It's been a week and no mouse.
Started tearing the room apart today.
Had to wait until "gout" would let me sort of walk again.
Didn't realize I had so much stuff.

MaryB
02-05-2015, 02:21 AM
Mouse can scoot right under doors... when Tigger catches a mouse he often brings it to me in bed, alive! Have that at 3AM for fun!

MaLar
02-05-2015, 02:27 AM
Well I guess the cat likes you if he brings you gifts.
Our cat would bring live birds and let em go in the house.

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 03:41 AM
No cats in my house.

Lived here for over 40 years without one trace of a single mouse.

So far this year 6 have found peanut butter to tempting to resist.:evil:

RIP [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

oldred
02-05-2015, 04:06 AM
With 16 cats (nope, not a "crazy cat person" these are farm cats) we see this sort of thing a lot. These are mostly working cats but some are pets naturally, we have a bunch of Himalayan critters that are more pets than anything else and to be honest the flat faced versions can't catch much of anything. The Himis have the run of my shop and one huge 20 lb Tom often brings me mice, ground moles, squirrels, etc and in the summer time he catches Bullfrogs from the pond and brings them in. Believe it or not they actually sometimes catch Bluegill out of that pond and have brought them in but apparently they like fish awfully well because they eat them and leave me only the tail and fins! I have yet to see them catch one of these fish and have no idea how they go about doing it.

southpaw
02-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I started to notice that we had mice. I mentioned this to someone and they told me to get a cat. I told them that I have a mouse problem, I don't need a cat problem to go with it. I put out some d-con. Problem solved.

Jerry Jr.

William Yanda
02-05-2015, 10:08 AM
I started to notice that we had mice. I mentioned this to someone and they told me to get a cat. I told them that I have a mouse problem, I don't need a cat problem to go with it. I put out some d-con. Problem solved.

Jerry Jr.
Here Here!

robg
02-05-2015, 10:23 AM
our old tom brought in a live rat .that was not fun :-x

John Guedry
02-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Have not had a cat in years, but when we did he would bring in "trophys" still alive and kickin'.

bangerjim
02-05-2015, 11:14 AM
When we lived out in the country in MI, our callico would bring us "presents" from the many acres that were around us. She would pile them at the back door for us! One night brought over 14 little jewels for our enjoyment! Never in the house. I only caught one mouse in the basement over many years of her diligent guarding the property.

farmerjim
02-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Our 3 outside cats keep our surrounding area rodent free.

376Steyr
02-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Ha. My cats regularly bring live mice and other critters inside to eat in comfort. Occasionally a mortally wounded critter will get away and I'll have to sniff it out. A couple of years ago my clothes closet began to get funky. I pawed around for a little while and found an adult quail behind my shoes. After that is a tie between the half a rabbit I found on the bedroom floor one morning, and the live bat with its wings plastered over the cat's face as she hopped up on the bed at midnight.

bubba.50
02-05-2015, 01:08 PM
we had a cat that would bring in live mice. she would hop in the bath-tub with them, turn them loose & watch them run up the tub, slide back, bat them around a bit then do it all over again til the mouse couldn't "play" anymore. then bored, she'd leave them there for us to deal with the barely breathin' carcass.

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Mouse can scoot right under doors... when Tigger catches a mouse he often brings it to me in bed, alive! Have that at 3AM for fun!

Alright, my first REAL LOL of the day!!! :lol::lol:

Multigunner
02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
A very old female cat we had many years ago had a fued going with my older brother after he had tried several times to take her off and abandon her.
She began leaving the remains of rats and mice in his shoes, just the heads and entrails.

She always found her way back to the house no matter where he took her.

Once our neighbor was returning from a business trip and had seen him put the cat out near some roadside dumpsters three counties away and the neighbor brought the cat back.
When my brother got home and found the cat had gotten back before he did he gave up on trying to get rid of her.
She lived for over 24 years and as my brother got older they became good friends.

That old cat helped raise my Pit/Plott mix dog and taught him how to fight like a cat. That dog would practice swatting with his paws like a cat and used this trick to knock several large dogs out cold before they had a chance to start a fight. He had paws like andirons.
He'd just walk right up in their face and lay one on them planting an iron hard paw on the hignge of the jaw, an instant knock out. While they were out cold he would hike a leg and wet them down real good. You never saw a more defeated dog than these were when they finally got up and slunk away.

montana_charlie
02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
have found peanut butter to tempting to resist.
Same here.
But getting that irresistible peanut butter is making my lip swell up pretty bad ...

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2015, 01:36 PM
we had a cat that would bring in live mice. she would hop in the bath-tub with them, turn them loose & watch them run up the tub, slide back, bat them around a bit then do it all over again til the mouse couldn't "play" anymore. then bored, she'd leave them there for us to deal with the barely breathin' carcass.

Typical cat, tease them to death!

dualsport
02-05-2015, 01:40 PM
With 16 cats (nope, not a "crazy cat person" these are farm cats) we see this sort of thing a lot. These are mostly working cats but some are pets naturally, we have a bunch of Himalayan critters that are more pets than anything else and to be honest the flat faced versions can't catch much of anything. The Himis have the run of my shop and one huge 20 lb Tom often brings me mice, ground moles, squirrels, etc and in the summer time he catches Bullfrogs from the pond and brings them in. Believe it or not they actually sometimes catch Bluegill out of that pond and have brought them in but apparently they like fish awfully well because they eat them and leave me only the tail and fins! I have yet to see them catch one of these fish and have no idea how they go about doing it.

Now that's funny! 16 cats of any kind makes you a crazy cat person. Welcome to the club. By the way, these new plastic mouse traps work good.

Harter66
02-05-2015, 01:53 PM
I have 2 cats 1 the Calico brings gifts thankfully dead and outside. The other is all black and came to me probably about 5-7 mo old under a full moon about 3:00 am November 1st . She doesn't hunt ,mouse,or even chase a Lazer dot. I'm not a superstitious type but on an occasion or 2 she has gone all 9 alarm for no reason and stayed that way then just like a flipping a switch it's over. In the past they'd have called her a familiar and that's good enough for me.

Actually as far as cats go they're practically dogs.

cbrick
02-05-2015, 01:57 PM
Now that's funny! 16 cats of any kind makes you a crazy cat person. Welcome to the club. By the way, these new plastic mouse traps work good.

Hhmmm . . . So somebody finally got around to building a better mouse trap? I'd like to hear about it. I seem to have "A" mouse. Maybe once a month I'll see just a very few droppings and then nothing for another month or so. I've tried peanut butter in traps and no joy. (no mouse either :mrgreen:) Don't want to use poison because of the dog and I don't want a dead stinking mouse in the walls or someplace I can't get to either. A cat would be a really bad idea. Well, bad idea for the cat anyway. Any cat I brought here would be a very short lived chew toy for my coon hound.

So what is this new plastic mouse trap?

Rick

John Allen
02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
We have Mink right outside my house. They keep the mice under control for the most part.

woodbutcher
02-05-2015, 02:47 PM
:smile: Many years ago we had a female kitty we named"Mitchum"because of her sleepy eyed look.One day she brought home an Indigo snake live and unharmed.Took it to a local attraction called"McKees Jungle Gardens".Made out pretty good on that deal.Got $150.00 bucks for it.She always earned her keep.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Here is what I purchased at Home Depot.

Never an empty trap,crushes the skull every time using good OLD peanut butter.

No matter how OLD and dried out the bait is it still nails them DEAD.

http://www.jteaton.com/retail_productpage.php?id=2

JAWZ Mouse Trap (Item #409)

You NEVER want mice in your walls.

After my folks died I had to completely rewire the house.

In one length hidden in the wall I found over a foot of both wires where the mice had eaten every trace of insulation away.

Yes my folks went to church every day.

That was not the only location they had lunch just the worst I remember out of the almost 2,000 feet I replaced.

RogerDat
02-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Well we have had cats (brother & sister) both have died they were strictly indoor and would catch mice but only kill them on accident. Sort of like a kid breaking a toy by being too rough.

We do have a standard schnauzer. If it is a rodent and within her reach it dies. She has gone up trees after squirrels (got the one raiding the bird feeder by simply out running it when she saw it in the yard) Will dig small hole in mole tunnel sniff which way the mole is then dig another hole in that direction, ends up with the mole trapped between two holes where it is dug down to, grabbed by the first bit of fur that shows, yanked out, tossed up, caught, and crunched exactly 3 times. Before being hauled off to be stashed in her "trophy" spot. A few mice have come into the garage, if I could write small enough I would post a tiny little mouse sized sign "abandon hope all ye that enter here" just to give those fair warning.

There is one trick the cats taught the dog, throwing a cat fit by racing from furniture to floor around the room several times. And that the best spot to observe the living room from is on top of the couch back. Not a normal perch for a 40 lb. dog but it was where the cats would park so the dog started doing it too.

Given a choice for a companion between a cat and a dog I'll go with dog. The squirrel on the bird feeder dies but the dog does not attack the birds coming to the feeder, the cat will.

popper
02-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Can I say 'pay it forward'? Not as bad a bringing in a live bunny like my lap puppy did.

osteodoc08
02-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Bear, my fathers old dog, that was a mutt mixed with collie and lab, wsa the fastest dog I've ever seen. He would bring in presents all the time. During the winter dad would leave the door cracked after letting Bear out so that he could nose his way back in while my dad got his usual cup of coffee. I remember one early morning I heard a crashing coming from the downstairs area with my dad my cussing. Bear brought him a rabbit that was still alive. We eventually got it out the door. We still reminisce about the both of them.

Hickok
02-05-2015, 06:02 PM
My Yorkie doesn't like mice or chipmunks.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
I like the victors myself I run the original and the easy set with the large plastic pedal , the easy set with large plastic pedal is good for setting run ways against walls all they have to do is try and step over it and snap I have 6 set all the time same 3 caught all my mice this year more than I have had in any other year

http://www.victorpest.com/store/mouse-control/snap-traps

SharpsShooter
02-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Same here.
But getting that irresistible peanut butter is making my lip swell up pretty bad ...

NO NO NO! You are doing it wrong...:-P

SS

shooter93
02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
And just so you know....it's mice not deer who are the most prolific animal that carries of the tick that causes Lyme disease.

oldred
02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
We have one very odd cat, this thing is a little Calico about 11 months old and she has a total of 24 toes! Polydactyl cats are not all that rare but the vast majority have extra toes on just two of their feet, usually the front paws in the form of "thumbs". This one not only has the extra fully developed toes on all four feet but she actually has what amounts to an extra half a paw on each leg complete with two extra toes and half of a foot pad! It's kind of odd to say the least with what appears to look sort of like extra feet on the front and big wide duck like feet on her hind legs. I posted a few pics of her here some time back when she was a kitten and if I can get her to sit still long enough I will try to take some more of her now that she's a lot bigger.

geargnasher
02-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Two indoor cats and we got a mouse in the laundry room last year, it lived under the dryer. I actually watched one cat ignore the mouse running across the floor. Worthless. They'll play with toy mice all day but not the real thing. So I let in my outdoor tom and the mouse was caught, eaten, and half digested before I was through making coffee. In ten years I guess he's allowed to miss one on its way in from the surrounding woods.

Gear

smokeywolf
02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
And just so you know....it's mice not deer who are the most prolific animal that carries of the tick that causes Lyme disease.

Don't forget Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. Occasionally found in their droppings, urine and saliva.

smokeywolf

Charley
02-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Many of the "mice" people see are juvenile rats, at least around here. Check the feet and ears, rats have larger feet and ears than mice, even if the bodies are similar in size. Rats are considerably smarter, will avoid new items (like traps) in their environment. Also very wary of new food items. Mice are curious, will inspect new things in their environment. Will also sample new food items.

Most effective trapping method is to place several traps out, but do not set them. Let then animals become comfortable with them, THEN set the traps, catch rate will go up 40-50%. Peanut butter is a decent bait. Use it very sparingly, jut a smear on the trigger, not big wad. Also, be sure and set the traps at a 90 degree angle to the wall...rodents typically travel along walls, not comfortable going out in the open. They want that wall for some cover. Place the traps at 90 degrees, and have the trigger next to the wall. Will solve most of your rodent issues.

JWFilips
02-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Hey Sometimes indoor cats need a Pal! Maybe she was concerned for his well being.... outside in the cold and all! So she invited him in via a mouth trip! I wouldn't call that dumb just a courteous jesture from the heart! Ah that's so cute!

MaryB
02-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Now that would get me moving.... I HATE bats and battled them the first 10 years I had this house(They were here first, I am here last!). That 4AM flap past the face get out of bed open a window or door and shoo them out. Then go find the hole they came in through and plug it for the night. I think there are over 100 cans of spray foam in this house over the last 30 years...

Ha. My cats regularly bring live mice and other critters inside to eat in comfort. Occasionally a mortally wounded critter will get away and I'll have to sniff it out. A couple of years ago my clothes closet began to get funky. I pawed around for a little while and found an adult quail behind my shoes. After that is a tie between the half a rabbit I found on the bedroom floor one morning, and the live bat with its wings plastered over the cat's face as she hopped up on the bed at midnight.

Bullwolf
02-05-2015, 10:37 PM
This is the simplest mouse trap idea I've ever seen.

Really wish I'd thought up this one myself.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-n4YPXg5CXpE/UcoQ-otLfOI/AAAAAAAAL1s/089x_AMTxzg/s1600/Mouse-Trap.gif

Put some water in the bottom, for the rodents to drown in.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-chit-chat/316342d1185290838-ever-seen-mouse-hold-his-breath-under-water-picture-006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/parshooter/IMG_3706.jpg

I use the snap traps as well, both rat and mouse sized. Peanut butter is my bait of choice. Occasionally though, area depending of course I sometimes have better luck mixing P-butter with grain feed, or pet food kibble.

My bird dog, a black Lab retriever (very soft mouth) brought a wild baby bunny into the house the Ranch. I was quite surprised, and naturally I told him he was a good boy. After the praise, he kept going out and bringing more bunnies back me! Oops.

I eventually followed him out to the rabbits den. I actually felt kind of bad for the baby rabbits. Momma bunny had ran off, and they were way too small to live on their own.

I wouldn't have felt so bad had it been rats. They are a constant nuisance, and reside pretty much at the bottom of the food chain. The only thing I dislike more than pack rats, are skunks.

- Bullwolf

MaryB
02-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Funniest thing I saw was a mouse that had gotten in a half bucket of corn for the corn stove. He would climb up and hang by his front paws on the edge of the bucket and look at me then fall back in, after the 8th time Tigger heard him finally and that was end of mouse

DLCTEX
02-06-2015, 01:35 AM
I tried a glue board for rats and mive in my garage. A couple days later I saw a large Tom going down the street with a glue board stuck to his side that was inhibiting his progress.

Silfield
02-06-2015, 12:16 PM
My old cat used to bring (headless) rabbits home on a regular basis. He would scramble over a 6' fence with the rabbit before sitting on the window ledge with my present!
I tried for years to train him to go get me a pheasant but I never did get one.

montana_charlie
02-06-2015, 02:24 PM
have found peanut butter to tempting to resist.
Same here.
But getting that irresistible peanut butter is making my lip swell up pretty bad ...NO NO NO! You are doing it wrong...:-P

SS
Thanks for telling me, man.
You probably saved me from having to find a plastic surgeon.

Anybody know a quick way to splint a broken finger?

Beau Cassidy
02-06-2015, 09:59 PM
MC you don't want to splint a broken finger- it will just get stiff. Best to buddy tape it to the next one. I do that stuff for a living.

As far as catching mice- My limited experience tells me they like powdered donuts over peanut butter in a side by side test.

abunaitoo
02-07-2015, 04:44 AM
Half way through the room and still no mouse.
I don't know who it could have gotten out. It was a big one.
I guess it was good and bad.
Good is the room is getting cleaned, Old stuff thrown out.
Bad is gout is acting up and is just a pain.
Being an animal lover, I catch them and let them go at the range.
Just don't have the heart to end a four legged animals life.

DR Owl Creek
02-07-2015, 12:14 PM
My dumb cat brought a mouse in the house.
Of course, right into the gun/stuff room.
Closed the door as soon as I saw it.
Put a cage type mouse trap in.
It's been a week and no mouse.
Started tearing the room apart today.
Had to wait until "gout" would let me sort of walk again.
Didn't realize I had so much stuff.

You should have carefully checked the contents of the littler box...

Dave

blackthorn
02-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Quote "Being an animal lover, I catch them and let them go at the range. "

So the one you have likely was the recipient of someone else's kindness (likely one of your soft hearted neighbors) who not only let it go when they caught it, but in the process, educated it to ignore traps as well!! We have one in the house as well! I told Gail it is likely one she thought was "cute" and turned it loose just outside (as she has been known to do)! Sadly, all that instruction accomplishes is to get me "THE LOOK"!! When I find one in the trap, it aint coming back!!! Guaranteed!

cbrick
02-07-2015, 01:03 PM

So the one you have likely was the recipient of someone else's kindness (likely one of your soft hearted neighbors) who not only let it go when they caught it, but in the process, educated it to ignore traps as well!! We have one in the house as well! I told Gail it is likely one she thought was "cute" and turned it loose just outside (as she has been known to do)! Sadly, all that instruction accomplishes is to get me "THE LOOK"!! When I find one in the trap, it aint coming back!!! Guaranteed!

Yeah, cute. It also brings a nice warm fuzzy feeling just thinking of all the diseases all that cuteness brings with it. Kinda makes them extra cute.

RWick

popper
02-07-2015, 01:18 PM
When I was a kid I saved 2 white rats, the science experiment kind. Every once in a while I let them run around in the basement, they would get up on the floor joist. NO mice in that house, at all. Seems mice are afraid of them. The rats were pets so I could recover them easily.

oldred
02-07-2015, 04:03 PM

Well I understand, my wife and daughter always thought the mice looked cute too but of course it was up to me to take the thing outside and turn it loose, so for them I did just that! I took the cute furry little things well out away from the house out into a field and set them free, all the while singing a little tune -here KITTY KITTY!!!! :evil:

TXGunNut
02-07-2015, 04:33 PM
My young tom is an outside cat, born in the bed of my pickup to a semi-feral cat that adopted me a few years back. He's affectionate at times but not a pet, he earns his keep as a pest control contractor. When he doesn't show up for meals I know he's caught a mouse or is out wooing his current girlfriend, he's never offered to share either and that's fine by me!

hoosierlogger
02-07-2015, 11:30 PM
This is the reason I don't like cats. They don't kill their prey right away, they torment and torture it for a while first.

TXGunNut
02-08-2015, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=hoosierlogger;3127095]This is the reason I don't like cats. They don't kill their prey right away, they torment and torture it for a while first.[/QU. OTE]

Not mine, he's a hunter like me. He kills it, he eats it. No games, no drama. He prefers a fresh-caught mouse over the cat food I feed him. Only exception is the neighborhood toms he's killed. One was probably his father, haven't seen the one he tangled with twice last week.

oldred
02-08-2015, 09:37 AM
This is the reason I don't like cats.

I never exactly disliked cats but I never had much for them either, I sort of felt they were useless and annoying. BUT THEN, as my daughter got older she wanted a cat so we gave her one as a gift and sure enough a few days later an abandoned kitten showed up and she quickly adopted it. Not knowing much about cats I was surprised at how fast they grow and can multiply so before we knew it we had 6 more! These were adopted out and the parents "fixed" but those two became like family members, once I got to know and understand them I started to appreciate them for what they are, cats are a LOT smarter than most people think and they can be as affectionate as dogs but in their own way. A few years ago I would never have believe it but now even with just my wife and me at home we enjoy those critters immensely, especially the Hymalayans. Cats are not for everyone I suppose but I think a lot of people would be surprised to find they don't dislike them as much as they think if they get to know a cat with a good attitude.

abunaitoo
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Finished putting the room back together.
No mouse.
No holes in the walls or screens.
Must have snuck out while I wasn't looking.
Now it's somewhere in the house!!!!!
Cat has no idea where it is.

Col4570
02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
A little known fact is that in Australia there are giant Mice as big as a man,they have a long Tail and very strong Back Legs.

Bad Water Bill
02-09-2015, 02:04 PM
A little known fact is that in Australia there are giant Mice as big as a man,they have a long Tail and very strong Back Legs.

Would that be one of them MOUSE supials they are always bragging about?

Ballistics in Scotland
02-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Plastic mouse traps have been around for quite a few years. Once in my office in Saudi Arabia a mouse spent an eleven week vacation chewing into one carton of UHT milk after another in my desk drawer, on top of many important papers. Even scrubbing much of the paint off didn't remove the smell. So I brought a plastic live trap from the UK, and paroled him in a large rubbish dumpster near the post office. There would have been more food near a restaurant, but that is why cats live in them.

I showed him to my merry little bunch of Bedouin first, without mentioning the trap. They went around telling their friends "W'Allah, Mr. John very fast for an old man." Here is the beast himself, one of several I caught. They are the reddish brown Middle Eastern strain of the common house mouse, which is dark grey in Europe. This was remarked on by Winston Churchill, who saw many of them drowned by a flood in the Sudan in 1898, when politcians could be interested in something besides politics.

I think bringing in mice etc. isn't simply as a present, but to a place where the cat can relax. It's part of the process of playing with a mouse, albeit a game the mouse invariably loses. We used to have a black tom who licked the goldfish in our pool, and they actually came up to let him do it. I think it started by lapping water, and exerted a hypnotic effect, like tickling trout by hand until they are relaxed enough for a grab. He never did, though. I think they were about equally intellectually gifted, which is not too good in a mammal.

I wouldn't answer for a greyhound, with eyes which outrun its intellect, but most dogs are safe with anything which is introduced to them as a family member, even if the family member happens to be a cat. We also had a collie-whippet cross which kidnapped the budgerigar which used to tweak her nose bloody through the bars, and later escaped. We found him filthy, salivated, minus tail feathers and in a furious temper, under a bed. A budgie, minus tail feathers, has trouble balancing, and tends to swivel upside down from the perch like a bat when he dozes off. But it seems obvious that she didn't want him dead. He was family, and nose-tweaking was clearly just what budgies do.

GaryN
02-09-2015, 06:46 PM
No cats in my house.

Lived here for over 40 years without one trace of a single mouse.

So far this year 6 have found peanut butter to tempting to resist.:evil:

RIP [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Peanut butter is my all time favorite mouse bait. It gets them every time.

Col4570
02-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Would that be one of them MOUSE supials they are always bragging about?

Yes another fact is that the females are born with pockets.The parents have little imagination,they name all their young Joey.

RogerDat
02-09-2015, 07:29 PM
I have to say many breeds of dogs simply do poorly with other animals. Most of the mid sized and large black & tan terrier breeds are a roll of the dice with any other animal up to the size of cats. They do better if they are raised with a cat but have to be "taught" that this one cat is not prey. May well not apply lesson to any other cat. I won't say all terriers but many just can not resist "prey" they have been bred for centuries to go after.

Large dogs with a powerful bite such as a German Shepard can kill a cat in one snap because the cat nails them with its claws one time and gets an instinctive reaction. Temperament matters more the greater the size difference between the dog and the other pet.

If your kid already has a much beloved rodent or bird adding a cat or dog is at best a gamble. Cat can't be blamed for going after a bird or mouse. If the dog has literally centuries of breeding as a rodent killer one can't blame the dog if "Mr. cheese whiskers" has his enclosure knocked open or apart and is nowhere to be found. Our dog used to go after barn swallows that were skimming low in the yard, came close a couple of times. Pretty sure a cage raised budgie is less agile than a wild barn swallow.

MaryB
02-10-2015, 12:09 AM
My lab Misty used to carry one of my cats around in her mouth. They would find a sunny spot then lay down and snooze. Cat got to where it would pat her on the head t obe picked up and carried...

Ballistics in Scotland
02-13-2015, 02:47 PM
I've seen exactly the same thing with our old Labrador, no due to a couple of centuries of non-breeding or worse for those which went off to lunch with a bird. She started when they were small, and the one we kept used to come looking to play that game. But she divided cats into ours, not ours, and the one that notched her ear when she was a puppy. That last was a capital offence, although the nearest she came was pulling him off a wall by the tail once. She missed the transfer to the neck, but our cairn terrier, who was pretty well clawproof on the neck and shoulders, got in a couple of bites before he made the fence.

The Labrador my mother had before I was born used to resent being left in the car. So she would leap the front seat with eggs, one by one, and arrange them in a row on the back seat to prove she wasn't just an animal. A collie I used to have could catch up with rabbits, but they don't like to play with dogs. So she gave up in disgust, and the cairn terrier wouldn't walk closer than six feet from her all the way home, in case someone thought they were related.