PDA

View Full Version : Quickload owners. I hate to ask, but..

dubber123
02-04-2015, 09:58 PM
I hate to ask, but I wonder if anyone who has access to Quickload would run the numbers on a load for me? Specs are:

.357 magnum, 220 gr. cast GC boolit. .400" in case seating depth, 1.770" OAL, (if that matters). 15.0 grs. H-110, CCI small RIFLE primer. Barrel length is 9.5" Thanks to anyone who can help.

TCLouis
02-04-2015, 10:16 PM
I got 1424 fps and 31752 psi.

I have found QL to calculate much lower pressures than the actual pressures published by the powder makers in more than one loading.

Small rifle primer is very likely to add more velocity and . . . Pressure.

I have no problem igniting H110 with WSP primers.

Idz
02-04-2015, 10:20 PM
I have a max OAL of 1.590 for 357 mag

TXGunNut
02-04-2015, 10:44 PM
I have a max OAL of 1.590 for 357 mag

I'm thinking he's using a Contender.

dubber123
02-04-2015, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking he's using a Contender.

Freedom Arms model 353. I'm surprised at the low Psi of TCLouis' calculation. I was getting pierced primers using pistol primers, hence the rifle primers. The gun is safe well into the 50,000 Psi range. I'll try to chrono some to see how it compares. Thank you.

kencha
02-04-2015, 11:13 PM
SAAMI max OAL is 1.590, but OP gives no indication what type of firearm, or even if this is a real-world use. Certainly with that heavy/long of a bullet, it may be possible to run 1.77" depending upon the firearm.

FWIW, when I run it through QL, I get 1378fps, 37285psi (**EXCEEDS SAAMI MAX OF 35K PSI**)

Since we don't have an exact bullet to select from, you have to kinda pick something close and modify the parameters.

QL doesn't take into account primer type, so as said, pressure may be even higher. Nor does it take into account a gas check. I suspect "shot start initiation pressure" would be only minimally increased though, so I bumped it up a little, but still below the value for jacketed.

QL also says itself that it is not as good at predicting straight-wall cartridge results.

Things like case capacity can vary as well, and since we don't know yours, I left it at the default value of 25.6gr of H2O. That can have a pretty dramatic effect as well if not accurate.

dubber123
02-04-2015, 11:35 PM
SAAMI max OAL is 1.590, but OP gives no indication what type of firearm, or even if this is a real-world use. Certainly with that heavy/long of a bullet, it may be possible to run 1.77" depending upon the firearm.

FWIW, when I run it through QL, I get 1378fps, 37285psi (**EXCEEDS SAAMI MAX OF 35K PSI**)

Since we don't have an exact bullet to select from, you have to kinda pick something close and modify the parameters.

QL doesn't take into account primer type, so as said, pressure may be even higher. Nor does it take into account a gas check. I suspect "shot start initiation pressure" would be only minimally increased though, so I bumped it up a little, but still below the value for jacketed.

QL also says itself that it is not as good at predicting straight-wall cartridge results.

Things like case capacity can vary as well, and since we don't know yours, I left it at the default value of 25.6gr of H2O. That can have a pretty dramatic effect as well if not accurate.

Thanks for running it. The actual boolit is the RCBS 35-200, cast from 50-50 WW/Pb.

The firearm in question comes chambered in several caliber approaching 60,000 Psi, and this is built on the same frame, with the same cylinder diameter, but with much smaller chambers, meaning much thicker chamber walls. The case is the weak link, and reportedly loose primer pockets are the only likely pressure signs you will see. My load so far does not show this tendency, and cases are lasting quite well. I have not increased the load yet, but I may to see it's impact on accuracy.

kencha
02-05-2015, 01:02 AM
The actual boolit is the RCBS 35-200, cast from 50-50 WW/Pb.

OK. That one is in the database. Some dimensions don't jive though (which is not uncommon). QL has bullet length as 0.9". If that is the case, a 1.77" OAL would give 0.42" shank seating depth, assuming 1.29" case length, and bumps the pressure to 40341 psi (and also says it will be a very slightly compressed load).

If changed back to 0.88" bullet length (0.40" seating depth and 1.77" OAL) it drops it back down to 37276 psi.

I do hope you're marking the containers in some way stating that they are loaded beyond SAAMI specs, so the rounds aren't shot in something that won't handle them.

dubber123
02-05-2015, 08:54 AM
OK. That one is in the database. Some dimensions don't jive though (which is not uncommon). QL has bullet length as 0.9". If that is the case, a 1.77" OAL would give 0.42" shank seating depth, assuming 1.29" case length, and bumps the pressure to 40341 psi (and also says it will be a very slightly compressed load).

If changed back to 0.88" bullet length (0.40" seating depth and 1.77" OAL) it drops it back down to 37276 psi.

I do hope you're marking the containers in some way stating that they are loaded beyond SAAMI specs, so the rounds aren't shot in something that won't handle them.

Thank you very much, that is pretty close to what I was guessing. With the long OAL it will only chamber in this one firearm. I do believe original pressures were a good bit higher than todays. It's perfectly safe in this gun for sure. I will chrono some and see how close it comes to the QL prediction.

TCLouis
02-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Years ago a powder company listed a load that I tried.
I did not know my primers by number and so when I tried it I got FLAT primers.

Called the ballastician and he explained that my Large Rifle primers sent the pressure through the roof compared to their load testing/recommendation. Since we had exchanged several calls over time he had no problem spanking my press/powder measure operating hand.

I warned you that I had found QL found lower pressures than the loading manuals and the SR primers likely added even more.

dubber123
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Years ago a powder company listed a load that I tried.
I did not know my primers by number and so when I tried it I got FLAT primers.

Called the ballastician and he explained that my Large Rifle primers sent the pressure through the roof compared to their load testing/recommendation. Since we had exchanged several calls over time he had no problem spanking my press/powder measure operating hand.

I warned you that I had found QL found lower pressures than the loading manuals and the SR primers likely added even more.

The small rifle primers are required with this load. There is a fair amount of printed loads for this particular gun, much of which exceeds my efforts by a good bit. I don't need or want to run pressures up to 60K Psi., but the gun can handle those numbers without question. I was just curious as to how much of a buffer zone I have, and it appears I have plenty.