PDA

View Full Version : .14" Alford Jones Express rimfire caliber revolver

danyboy
02-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Anybody ever heard of this antique rimfire revolver ? Some guy posted one for sale and I have been looking all over for info in vain.
Thanks,
danyboy

AKtinman
02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
I can't tell you anything about the revolver, but I am pretty sure the cartridge is a .22 LR case necked down to .14.

My memory says that this cartridge was mentioned in P.O. Ackley's books, but that would have been a long time ago. I'm thinking the cartridge would have dated to the 1950's or 1960's.

danyboy
02-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Turned out the seller got back to me and said exactely what you said: a 22 long cartridge necked down to 14; pretty small bullet ! The guy says works and lock up fine. Wants $150 for it. If I buy it , I would probably try to get a gunsmith to ream the chamber and barrel to make a 22 LR work in it. You say 1950's or 1960's. Hum, thought it was much older than that...

[ QUOTE=AKtinman;3123690]I can't tell you anything about the revolver, but I am pretty sure the cartridge is a .22 LR case necked down to .14.

My memory says that this cartridge was mentioned in P.O. Ackley's books, but that would have been a long time ago. I'm thinking the cartridge would have dated to the 1950's or 1960's.[/QUOTE]

AKtinman
02-05-2015, 08:47 PM
The cartridge sure could be older than the 1950's or '60's. I was working from my memory of the Ackley books I sold about 15 years ago ;)

It was a lot of work to make an interesting cartridge. Probably fun to shoot!

Harry O
02-05-2015, 10:13 PM
P.O Ackley volume II written in 1966

.14 Jones: A very interesting sub-caliber cartridge is the .14 Jones. It has been years since the author (Ackley) has heard from Mr. Jones, who used to live in Portland, Oregon, but according to recollection he made at least two versions. One was based on the .22LR rimfire cartridge necked down to accept the .14 caliber bullet. The picture of the dummy cartridge is the only existing specimen to the author's knowledge although there may be others. If memory serves correctly, Mr. Jones also used to neck down the Velo Dog case to create a center fire .14 caliber.

Bent Ramrod
02-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Alton Jones was a maker of miniature firearms, many of which were shootable, IIRC. He was a proponent of various .14 calibers, some of which (I think) were center fire, and were chambered in full size guns. Too bad the dies for making the cases didn't come with the gun.

danyboy
02-05-2015, 11:04 PM
This has to be the most interesting caliber I've ever heard of. The seller thinks its a rimfire. Might justbuy it and get it converted to 22 lr or just keep it for the fun of it. I'll try to find a copy of this Ackley book and see what it has to say about it.

reed1911
02-06-2015, 11:12 AM
We make a .10 and a .12 also.

Harry O
02-06-2015, 06:36 PM
I'll try to find a copy of this Ackley book and see what it has to say about it.

What I copied is everything he has to say about the .14 Jones. There is nothing more in the book about the Jones.

The two P.O.Ackley books are interesting from a historical standpoint, but I do not use them for reloading information. He has loads that are significantly higher than every other book on the market (15% to 20% higher in some cases). I understand that he rechambered a LOT of WWII surplus bolt actions and I think that is where he got his loads. He says in the front that he increased the loads until the primer fell out then backed it off one grain. Mauser 98's are probably a lot stronger than the guns that many original cartridges were chambered in.