PDA

View Full Version : Loading Jim Shockey Gold

jednorris
02-04-2015, 06:27 PM
I loaded some .40/65 ammo with Jim Shockey Gold F.F.F.G. and it solidified in the case after only two months. I now am loading Goex F.F.F.G. and hope to have a better shelf life.

LUBEDUDE
02-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Check the caps on the containers to be sure that they are getting a tight seal.

And maybe store in a dryer place as well. Black power is hygroscopic and soaks up water from the air like a sponge.

If you are not sure of your humidity, Walmart sells an excellent temp/humidity gauge made by Acu-Rite for a good price.

MtGun44
02-05-2015, 11:54 PM
So what is the problem? I was under the impression that compressing the powder into an essentially
solid block was desirable for best accy.

Bill

cajun shooter
02-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Jim Shockey Gold FFFG is not a real BP but a sub made from ascorbic acid. As with all subs they do soak up the moisture from the air and will clump once opened. I don't shoot subs but have seen this happen to several people that do. They always ask why is my powder in clumps.
Lubedude, I've loaded real BP since 1970 and have opened and used several hundred pounds including some 25 pound plastic bags that come shipped that way. I've never in all that time had ANY REAL BP TURN INTO LUMPS!! You are spreading incorrect info sir.
In fact you may shoot real BP in the high humidity of Louisiana and not clean the gun for 4 days and not have a single speck of rust. Try that with a sub and on the same day you may see rust start to develop, you will find a lot of rust on the second day.
Real BP is not hydroscopic in it's unfired state, it only becomes so after firing.
jednorris, you may want to try some good 2F like the new Olde Enysford in your 40/65 as it may improve your downrange results. Take Care and good shooting David

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Cajun Shooter - Thank you for setting things straight. My apologies to the forum.

I got my information mixed up between the Subs and Real Black Powder.

I have not shot Black in over 10 years, I had either just remembered the hygroscopic on the sub I loaded, or maybe I was taught wrong on the Black as Well from way back.

Either way, Im glad you chimed in.

jednorris
02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I am new to loading B.P. cartridge guns and I appreciate having a forum like this to get good feedback. Amazingly the load I am currently shooting in my .40/65 is giving me 2.25 M.O.A. as I can hold a consistant 4.5" group at 200. The only problem I need to overcome is the loose nut behind the trigger.