PDA

View Full Version : CVA long rifle

Brittany
02-04-2015, 09:59 AM
:?: I just purchased an CVA long rifle. Most purchases of used guns you have to deal with some barrel rust issues. This one the patches just keep coming out black. After cooper brushing the bore and many patches, they finely started coming out clean.

So what was the black and no rust. Charlie

bubba.50
02-04-2015, 10:57 AM
likely a tar-like deposit from usin' a lube that wasn't compatible with black powder. unbelievable how hard that gunk can be to remove.

Willyp
02-05-2015, 07:02 AM
I would think it may be some kind of anti-rust that was put in the barrel. If you could get ahold of who you got the gun from ask him what it was.

johnson1942
02-05-2015, 02:43 PM
what is the cal. and twist of that rifle?

fouronesix
02-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately, sounds normal for many, many used muzzleloaders :( Always a good idea to inspect used muzzleloaders with a tight jagged patch and a drop-in bore light or deal with up front trusted sellers.

It could be any number of things. Moly lube. Some kind of grease lube baked onto bore (or into pits). Graphite lube. Etched or pitted bore that has accumulated carbon fouling. Accumulation of lead or lead-tin-antimony, or some alloy. Who knows?

Best to get after it right away and get it out of there. But, it the bore surface has been etched or pitted, I'm afraid you'll be dealing with something similar from now on.