PDA

View Full Version : Bon Ami cleanser into media?

Willyp
02-04-2015, 07:42 AM
This stuff is supposed to be scratchless cleanser,so, what do you think may happen if some was added to my older media,in my vibrator tummbler,to polish cases?
Anyone ever try it?
What is the powder that RCBS sell to add to media?

BruceB
02-04-2015, 08:02 AM
WITHOUT any personal experience, I'd still be a bit reluctant.

I went to a very mild type of "abrasive", if it could even be called that.

The addition of Turtle Wax's "Scratch and Swirl Remover" to fine corn-cob gives a brilliant shine to my brass, and the vestigial wax coating left on the cases resists tarnish for many months in storage.

It's the best result I've ever had, in many decades of trying various other concoctions.

zuke
02-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Try it and post the result's.
When I had a dry media tumbler I used Dillon polish and tried Nufinish car polish in the orange bottle

Outpost75
02-04-2015, 10:31 AM
I have used a similar product, Bar Keeper's Friend, with good results using 1/3 cup to a LARGE Dillon tub, in cleaning up nasty, tarnished brass, which comes out with a bright, but dull finish. I do a separate tumble in clean, new corncob with a bit of Lemi-Shine added to reduce the dust, and after the second finish tumble .45 ACP range cases come out looking great!

Reg
02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I keep one batch of corn cob charged with this and use it when I have a particularly rough looking batch of brass I want to clean up. Will not give the perfect polished finish but does aggressively clean dirty brass. If you want to be fussy you can follow up with some media that has the finer polish in it.

mdi
02-04-2015, 01:21 PM
It'll work, just like adding rouge to media, but not as agressive as rouge. I think it would get dusty (don't bother me but some fellers are conscientious about deadly fumes/dust/vapors ;)). I've used Bon Ami and Comet to clean/lap aluminum molds.

Willyp
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I will try it on some old 223 brass.

markinalpine
02-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Goood old Bon Ami®. Just like in the Don Knotts movie, "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken!"
Mark :bigsmyl2:

Iowa Fox
02-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Back in the old days Caterpillar parts departments sold break in powder under a Cat part number for new machines with an oil consumption issue. You had to loosen the intake and feed it into each cylinder with a spoon. It was Bon Ami, it almost always dried them right up.

13Echo
02-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Bon Ami is used to clean glass without scratching. It works for me in my tumbler on especially dirty brass but it won't give the complete clean and shine that a wet tumbler with ceramic or steel media will. That said I only use walnut with three caps full of mineral spirits and a tablespoon of Bon Ami for most cleaning and am pleased with the results on even black powder cases. I also sift my media with a fine screen after a few uses to remove the dust and debris.

MtGun44
02-05-2015, 02:36 PM
I would only add this for especially dirty cases.

If you want the nicest looking and feeling cases ever add 1-2 capfuls of Nu Finish car polish
to a tumbler full of media and let it mix up well. Cases are ultra shiny (fine polish) and slick
and smooth (wax) - REALLY nice.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-c105/k2-_343e9df0-98cb-4d00-af0f-7bd2c8a15ab7.v1.jpg

I have heard of pouring Bob Ami down a carb of an engine with glazed cylinders
and oil burning.......... always seemed a bit risky, but the people telling the story
insisted it did no harm. Matches the Caterpillar story.

seagiant
02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
I would only add this for especially dirty cases.

If you want the nicest looking and feeling cases ever add 1-2 capfuls of Nu Finish car polish
to a tumbler full of media and let it mix up well. Cases are ultra shiny (fine polish) and slick
and smooth (wax) - REALLY nice.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-c105/k2-_343e9df0-98cb-4d00-af0f-7bd2c8a15ab7.v1.jpg

I have heard of pouring Bob Ami down a carb of an engine with glazed cylinders
and oil burning.......... always seemed a bit risky, but the people telling the story
insisted it did no harm. Matches the Caterpillar story.
Hi,
+1 Try it! You'll like it!

fishnbob
02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Somebody mentioned sifting the dust out of media, I wet several strips of cotton cloth, wring out the excess and put them in the media with the brass and all comes out clean 'cept for the rags which are full of green dust. Media lasts a long time too. Even the bowl doesn't have much dust left in it. I usually wipe that out while I'm picking the brass off the screen.

MtGun44
02-05-2015, 11:28 PM
It's really easy to get the dust out of your media if you just tear up dry paper towels into strips and drop them in while tumbling brass. They suck up all the dust and you won't have to do anything except throw them away.

mdi
02-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Jes a thought; wouldn't the normal "de-dusting" techiques just pick up/remove the Bon Ami from the media?

abunaitoo
02-07-2015, 05:01 AM
I use used dryer sheets to help clean out dust.
What works the best is orange peels, or any citrus fruit peel.
Acid helps make the brass sparkle.
I've been using Bon Ami with walnut for a while.
Cleans, but brass comes out dull. Sometimes dusty.
I've also tried Flitz. Works great, but media gets dirty very fast.

dikman
02-07-2015, 05:06 AM
I'm guessing that adding citrus peel is the same as adding citric acid?

mozeppa
02-07-2015, 05:32 AM
I'm guessing that adding citrus peel is the same as adding citric acid?

and citric oils

rbuck351
02-17-2015, 03:43 AM
I chemically clean my brass with Lemi Shine, Dawn and water, dry them, then in the vibrator with some Turtle wax rubbing compound and a spoonful of Cerium Oxide. They come out clean, bright and shiny and the wax in the polishing compound keeps them shiny for quite a while.

MtGun44
02-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Citrus peel is not the same as citric acid.

GabbyM
02-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Do the ingredients in Bon Ami attack and make brittle brass? As does detergent.

Am asking myself this after using some yesterday. It worked. My corn cob media had become loaded with lanolin case lube and car polish. cases were just sitting in vibratory tumbler not moving around. Sprinkled some Bon Ami in and cases immediately started rolling.

Ingredients listed on can:
Limestone; Feldspar; Surfactant (from coconut oil); Soda Ash and Baking Soda.

Looks benign to me.

MtGun44
02-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Ammonia is the one you want to avoid. I causes stress corrosion cracking and
embrittlement.

dilly
02-18-2015, 02:02 PM
I don't know anything about Bon Ami, sorry.

I do know that when I added orange peels it seemed to do nothing.

I also know that Nu Finish is great stuff. In fact a lot of SS tumbler people get upset when their perfectly clean cases tarnish, and often the Nu Finish treated vibratory cleaning makes shinier brass than SS pins (if they're not done right).

GabbyM
02-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Used NuFinish for years. Had some leftover from waxing my truck. Looked for some last week. All they had was some new formula with orange scent citrus. Had a clear color they were so proud of they used a clear panel in the bottle to show it off. Picked up a bottle of NuFinish Scratch Doctor. Not working all that great.

dilly
02-18-2015, 04:24 PM
They still sell it at Walmart here as of a couple weeks ago.