PDA

View Full Version : Need advice Selling and shipping factory ammo

Wasalmonslayer
02-04-2015, 01:30 AM
I have some ammo that I have aquired along the way and have no toys to use them in.
Selling them is easy in s&s
How do I ship them.
What services do you use and is it cost effective?

Thanks in advance
wasalmonslayer

mjwcaster
02-04-2015, 02:59 AM
There is no cost effective service.
No USPS, private carrier such as Fedex or UPS only.
And I could not find out how to follow Fedex rules, so while they were cheaper, I ended up going UPS.
Drop off at UPS service center or scheduled pickup only, no staples or UPS store, no handing to driver delivering another package.

The couple of packages I shipped cost about $20 for 3lbs of ammo.

Just put an ORD-M label in it, can even write it and draw a circle.
UPS has good directions for shipping ammo.

Shouldn't be an issue here, but watch out for people who want you to ship it USPS, my last one was fun.
Didn't matter to him that it was punishable by up to a $10,000 fine.

Not really worth it, unless you are shipping a lot or it is something rare/expensive.

I don't plan on going out of my way to do it again, but it was found money for us and paid for a new tent on the range.

Matt

Harry O
02-04-2015, 12:49 PM
I have used Fed-Ex from time to time. They are the cheapest, but sending ammo is never cheap. Make sure you price it high enough to recover the shipping cost. It has to be sent by ground rather than air, so it will take longer. There was a page I found on their webpage that had instructions on where to call if the local place would not take it. I printed out that page and took it with me. I did not need it, since the local person knew the rules. I just told them what I had in the box and they took care of the paperwork. They also had an "ORM-D" sticker to put on the package. There are limits on the number of rounds or the number of primers in a package. I don't remember the details, but it seemed reasonable if you were not in the ammunition business.

Wasalmonslayer
02-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys.

WILCO
02-05-2015, 01:00 AM
I'd try selling it locally. Always good folks looking for ammo.

mjwcaster
02-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Harry-O when was the last time you used Fedex?

And if you find the fedex rules, could you post a link.

The DOT has some recent rule changes that although they do not do into full effect until 2020?, seem to have caused changes at Fedex from what I have read.
I could not find anything on the Fedex site on shipping ammo, and all the recent reports I read were nothing but horror stories.

I could have saved $5 with fedex, but finally gave up after wasting a few hours searching for answers to their new policies.

Matt

.30Calibre
02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Really kinda surprised actually, that this topic is not already a FAQ/stickie at the top of the Swappin & Selling section in big, bold font.

$10k penalty and/or a few years in the pokey for shipping a box of brass with the wrong method is no joke.