PDA

View Full Version : Got my New 1858 Pietta

hylander
02-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Just received my 1858 today.
Gave her a good going over and looks great, hope to shoot her tomorrow.
I also received a brand new Taylors .45 Colt Conversion cylinder, fits perfect.
However the cylinder will go up in the classified.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Bows/Goodies/f442c4e5-619d-4ec2-a6b5-593966cd4e3e_zps65dfbeb0.jpg

slim1836
02-04-2015, 04:31 AM
How much for the Taylors .45 Colt Conversion cylinder? I like first option.

Slim

johnson1942
02-04-2015, 11:46 AM
your going to love shooting that gun. i almost got what you got but i found a 1871-1872 open top in 38 special and went for that. ive wanted something like that for years and now the fun will begin for both of us. i want my 15 year old son to learn handguns with a single action first so he knows how to take his time and place the shots. then he can move on to the semiautos.

Omnivore
02-04-2015, 05:15 PM
i want my 15 year old son to learn handguns with a single action first so he knows how to take his time and place the shots. then he can move on to the semi autos.

Good plan. I took my sister and her 12 year-old son out shooting cap & ball, but I made the mistake of bringing a 22 semi auto along to get them acquainted with the basics first. Then ALL the kid wanted to do from then on was to bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang (reload) etc. at super close range with the semi. Didn't have the slightest interest in the black powder stuff after handling the magic bang machine. He was more interested it he 22, and secondarily more interested in his "smart" phone. Didn't have the time to listen to a thing I had to say.

So leave the self-loaders AND the kids' phones at home, otherwise it'll be a waste of time (at best). They can Facebook it, and learn the semi autos, much later.

A 22 revolver would have been vastly more appropriate, or better yet a 36 Navy or Police, which I have but I left it home because I still don't have it shooting to point of aim.

slim1836
02-04-2015, 05:48 PM
I passed on the first option on the cylinder in case anyone else may be interested.

Slim

johnson1942
02-04-2015, 07:15 PM
my son shoots a .270 very well and his 20 gauge is his right arm. i only let him shoot single shot. next is the single action .38 special. my other two grown up sons learned on a single action colt. they now have switched to semi auto. you are a better better shot and more careful if you start the right way. to many corners are cut now days. i could not undersatand when i went to the military in 1960 why every one had such a hard time shooting the guns we had to shoot. but then they werent raised with a single shot or any guns at all. all my shots went in the black in those days, really loved the BAR. man that thing could shoot.

GCBurner
02-05-2015, 02:38 PM
I've got the .45 Colt conversion cylinder for mine, too. It actually shoots very well with cast 250-gr boolits over a charge of Trailboss.

nobody1369
02-07-2015, 06:51 AM
still have that cylinder?

bigted
02-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I just removed all my cartridge cylinders on my C&B's. I found that an afternoon spent shooting a C&B is a restful thing and the less restful is shooting a cylinder full of already made cases and foolin with the brass afterwards and having the same cleaning opportunity as shooting the cap n ball anyway. plus there is not the sentiment in the C&B's when they just take the ready made cases.

just my two cents worth. I shot BP both ways and I personally find the old way to be more encompassing in the nostalgia that I so love.

that Remington will be a bunch of fun and I would like to hear about your shooting fun with it. cool revolver.

nobody1369
02-09-2015, 01:31 PM
i've been shooting cap and ball revolvers since about 1980. my first was a kit from cva it was a nma 1851 navies i have an asm stainless walker my favorite was my 51 shorty until i bought my pair of 1858 shortys now the one with fake ivory grips gets carried daily . even more than my combat commander