PDA

View Full Version : New Peabody

mm1ut1
02-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Brought home my new Peabody in 45/100. Built by Providence Tool Co a few miles down the road from me. Shoots a 540 gr pp boolit over 92 gr of 2f Swiss. Parent case is a 50/110 necked down and trimmed a few thousandths. Shown with a grease groove flanking a 30-06. Recoil isn't bad at all. Hopefully I'll be able to get to a few matches this year. Hadn't planned to get into black powder until I retire in a few years, but decided to get the rifle when our club started "Buffalo" matches. Very challenging sport that demands good ammo, rifle, and shooter. Got one out of three and working on the other two !

Tatume
02-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Wow! Really neat gun. Cool cartridge too. And what a gorgeous piece of wood! Enjoy.

pietro
02-04-2015, 07:57 AM

CONGRATS ! ! A very nice rifle - could you please post the bbl length, and the rifle's weight ?

Chill Wills
02-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Very nice! I am glad Providence Tool Co is still going! I have not heard much about them for a few years now.

The man that owns it, if it is just one man, was at the BPCR silhouette nationals one or two years. Nice fella - man of few words - ....stock checker, Tim Lion-Smith, if I have his name correct, was there too and was stumping the rifle for him. Tim is a talker and I think Tim was in the roll of helping get the word out about the Peabody. Both good people.

Your rifle looks great from the pictures! Interesting caliber to say the least!

As you know; There are some things special when loading for BP and then there are some additional things to know about loading bottle neck BP cartridges. There are few (good) riflemen are on this board that can advise you if you get to the point some help is needed.
All the best, Report in as you go....
Michael Rix

Don McDowell
02-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Is that a recreation of the original 45-100 Peabody cartridge?

upnorthwis
02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
I shot next to a Peabody at Lodi, WI last year. Nice looking and well made gun.

mm1ut1
02-05-2015, 05:59 PM
The 45/100 Peabody is a necked down 50/110, trimmed a few thousandths and then reamed to accept the PP boolit. I do a little work around the shop and in return I get personal one on one lessons on loading BP rounds, making brass, et cet. Hornady made the dies which come with the rifle. Hope fully I'll get to some of the matches in Wisconsin this year. Two years to retirement and my current work requires weekend work so it's hard to get out.
Getting the rifle built was like the time 20 years ago when I bought a suit from Men's Warehouse. Got to pick the wood from blanks, metal finish, caliber, length of pull, et cet. Once in a lifetime experience ! Frank, who built the rifle is a perfectionist. When the blue on the barrel got a small scratch while test firing he had it removed and re blued. Can't ask for more !
Rifle is just under NRA weight for BP matches.

Don McDowell
02-14-2015, 10:19 PM
I see that Captec is discontinuing the 50-110 brass and they have it marked down. Might want to stock up while it's easy to find.