PDA

View Full Version : Die collections?

justingrosche
02-03-2015, 03:57 PM
In swap & sell, a fellow posted a huge lot of dies. So, I'm thinking "O Goody! I love collecting die sets!" So I look through his wares, and I'll be damned, I already have them all.Geez!
There are a dozen more not shown. It seems it's as bad as my mold addiction.:holysheep

I know there's several fellows in here worse than me.... like the
Illinois coyote hunter 🐺

Let's see your collection!

salpal48
02-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Yes it's an addiction. And most of us need help. Maybe there is a government program. That can help us.

1Shirt
02-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Yep, addictive for sure!
1Shirt!

Virginia John
02-03-2015, 06:10 PM
It is only an addiction if you have dies for calibers you don't shoot.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I've whittled mine down. Now I have just over 150 or so. I have more I have to go through and post on the board but just haven't had the time. At one time the number was well over 500 sets!!!

I have sold quite a few...

justingrosche
02-03-2015, 11:22 PM
I've whittled mine down. Now I have just over 150 or so. I have more I have to go through and post on the board but just haven't had the time. At one time the number was well over 500 sets!!!

I have sold quite a few...
Yes sir, I have bought quite a few from you over the years.
you have some on your vendor list that have my mouth watering, but $$$ is scarce this time of year for me.

bluelund79
02-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Wow, and I thought I had some sets? I've only got dies for what I shoot, and 4 other calibers I don't own (yet)

Sghinds
02-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I tend to like some of the more odd stuff, but my collection is pretty small. I recently picked up a set for the 44 mag shotshells. May never use them, but I had to have them. Also picked up a mostly complete set for the 45 acp shotshells, came with the file trim die but its missing the expander die. I may end up ordering it just to make it a complete set.

nitro-express
02-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Kinda got carried away with "collectin" Tru-Line Jr and 310 dies. I even shoot some of the calibers I have dies for, although I load on my other presses. The Tru-Line Jr is mostly for odd jobs, like neck sizing for cast and such.

Green Frog
02-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Kinda got carried away with "collectin" Tru-Line Jr and 310 dies. I even shoot some of the calibers I have dies for, although I load on my other presses. The Tru-Line Jr is mostly for odd jobs, like neck sizing for cast and such.

I'm with you nitro! I just can't seem to resist any of the neat 310 or Tru-Line dies, and then end up duplicating many of them in the newer, full-size dies as well. I wouldn't want to give up any of my 310 or Tru-Line capabilities, but sometimes I just have to go modern on some of my loading jobs. OTOH, my kid brother just asked me about some 45 ACP dies for his Tru-Line as it finishes loading cast bullets better than his later dies... go figure! :???:

Froggie

bedbugbilly
02-05-2015, 12:27 PM
justin - I ask this just out of plain old curiosity . . . as we all have or "addictions". LOL

Do you reload the cartridge for each die set you have? If not . . . what do you do with them other than having them sitting on the shelf? I find myself fighting the urge to get some dies for calibers that I don't reload but think I might at some point in the future and I can see how a person can certainly get wrapped up in doing that. Then I remind myself that it is dollars tied up in something that I am not going to use and would be better spent on another handgun or rifle . . . which is another addiction in itself! LOL The one thing about it is that you certainly have a good back stock of dies should you ever need a set!

bear67
02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I resent being called a collector--I just believe in PPPPPP (Proper Prior Planning Prevents P Poor performance). My reasoning in having dies that I do not have a gun for is good planning in case I find a really good buy in a gun that I don't currently own and load for. My reason for owning 6 sets of .30 Carbine dies is I can share or trade with the less fortunate. I recently got a set of 25-20 dies in a trade--I have never "needed" a 25-20 but when I acquired a mold that would work well in another deal, I can now justify buying a 25-20 because I already have dies, mold and brass (I maybe bought the brass before the rifle).

Now maybe I can justify all the presses and powder measures as planning (remember 7 Ps) ahead with a press and measure set up for each caliber or even each different load. See the possibilities are endless.

Sig
02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Well, I guess that makes me an addict:smile:

justingrosche
02-06-2015, 06:12 PM
justin - I ask this just out of plain old curiosity . . . as we all have or "addictions". LOL

Do you reload the cartridge for each die set you have? If not . . . what do you do with them other than having them sitting on the shelf? I find myself fighting the urge to get some dies for calibers that I don't reload but think I might at some point in the future and I can see how a person can certainly get wrapped up in doing that. Then I remind myself that it is dollars tied up in something that I am not going to use and would be better spent on another handgun or rifle . . . which is another addiction in itself! LOL The one thing about it is that you certainly have a good back stock of dies should you ever need a set!
Billy, I do have to admit that there are several dies in there that I do not own rifles for, I believe I have the handguns for all those dies I have. Some dies I use as step dies in case forming, and some dies I load for some close friends that do not handload. I am kind of surprised I associate with fools such as that. ;) Some are just pipe dreams, but if I have the dies I'm just that much closer to reality.

dragon813gt
02-06-2015, 06:22 PM
I stopped buying them if I don't have a firearm chambered for it. All they do is lead to purchasing said firearm.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
02-06-2015, 07:09 PM
...And what's wrong with that, dragon? :-P

bedbugbilly
02-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Justin - Aaaah Haaah! Now it all makes sense! I can see why you have them and in reality, you are prepared and I can see how dies from certain sets could be a big help in reloading/reforming.

My "fetish" unfortunately is 38s. It's what I started out on which lead to reloading 38 Colt Short and Longs and then 357 for the Handi-rifle. I load those on a Lee 4 hole turret so have a separate set for altho casings set up - one for smokeless and one for black powder since the lube gets them gummed up fairly quickly. So I can justify them - at least in my own mind! LOL

Since my last post on this thread - I did a little "self examination" and found that I have die sets for about 6 calibers that I don't currently re-load but want to (an addict needs to admit they are an addict before they can get help) :-). I'm older and have a number of calibers on my "bucket list" that I want to reload and shoot so I'm in the process of "re-evaluating" the handguns I have (way too many 38s) and I'll start thinning the herd when I get back to Michigan so I can add a couple that I want to start out with (32-20 and 45 Colt).

My downfall is that I often pick up single dies that I run across as I can always think of situations where I "could" use them. Every so often, I have to "re-arrange" the shelves to make room but it gets kind of hard sometimes like when I have to find another place to put the box of 44 Colt brass that I bought off a member on here "just in case" I run across a SA 44 that I can use them in. LOL What can I say . . "I'm a sick man!" but I use my age as an excuse!

On the positive side though . . . accumulating things such as dies and die sets that I don't need has allowed me several times to help others out who have needed them - especially some younger person on a really tight budget who can use a "freebie" to get started out. I've had members here help me out at times when I was searching for something and it's nice to be able to "pass it along".

Thanks much for your reply . . . you've helped me have a greater understanding of the disease that afflicts us all here! :-)

LUBEDUDE
02-08-2015, 01:28 PM
I resent being called a collector--I just believe in PPPPPP (Proper Prior Planning Prevents P Poor performance). My reasoning in having dies that I do not have a gun for is good planning in case I find a really good buy in a gun that I don't currently own and load for. My reason for owning 6 sets of .30 Carbine dies is I can share or trade with the less fortunate. I recently got a set of 25-20 dies in a trade--I have never "needed" a 25-20 but when I acquired a mold that would work well in another deal, I can now justify buying a 25-20 because I already have dies, mold and brass (I maybe bought the brass before the rifle).

Now maybe I can justify all the presses and powder measures as planning (remember 7 Ps) ahead with a press and measure set up for each caliber or even each different load. See the possibilities are endless.

I like the way you think a Bear, a true through and through addict!! :)

SBH4628
02-09-2015, 08:25 PM
They do add up over time. Not all of them shown.
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2139/12747254/22677309/401393904.jpg

Gar
02-10-2015, 09:58 AM
I stopped buying them if I don't have a firearm chambered for it. All they do is lead to purchasing said firearm.

^^^^^^^^^^^
So where's the problem?

I'll buy dies for calibers I don't own, never know when I'll end up with a firearm in that caliber. I really hate having to order them and waiting on be able to shoot a new firearm.

dragon813gt
02-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Money spent on things that aren't needed. That's the problem. I won't tell someone else to stop doing it. But before I buy a firearm I check for dies and brass. It takes a really special firearm for me to purchase it if I can't get dies and brass immediately.

r1kk1
02-10-2015, 10:04 PM
I have dies for stuff I used to own. I'm now getting stuff together for the 2nd custom revolver in the family - 500 Linebaugh. It should be done around May. Waiting for Forster to have 26 Nosler dies. Still collecting custom dies for wildcat stuff.

It never ends. It sure is fun!

r1kk1

pauly
02-11-2015, 02:46 AM
G'day from Downunder . [smilie=s:

G'day All , if one of you bloke's has a .270 Ren die set just loafing around doing nothing I am desperately looking to buy a set .

Regards Paul . :smile:

Pressman
02-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Any one have JAX dies? I am looking for a set in any caliber.

Ken

EDG
02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
The truth is in the grand scheme of things there are two possibilities

1. NONE OF THIS IS NEEDED FOR FOOD, CLOTHING OR SHELTER
2. ALL OF THIS IS NEEDED FOR MAINTENANCE OF SANITY AND SPIRIT

Take your pick

Money spent on things that aren't needed. That's the problem. I won't tell someone else to stop doing it. But before I buy a firearm I check for dies and brass. It takes a really special firearm for me to purchase it if I can't get dies and brass immediately.

justingrosche
02-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Any one have JAX dies? I am looking for a set in any caliber.

Ken
Like these?130379

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-11-2015, 02:28 PM

How about if you have more than one die set for calibers you do shoot?

justingrosche
02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
I have dies for stuff I used to own. I'm now getting stuff together for the 2nd custom revolver in the family - 500 Linebaugh. It should be done around May. Waiting for Forster to have 26 Nosler dies. Still collecting custom dies for wildcat stuff.

It never ends. It sure is fun!

r1kk1
I do do hope Nosler pays tribute to Jerry Shannon this 26 Nosler/ 263 Sabre cartridge.

lpspinner
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
I buy dies for calibers that I don't own yet, but think I will. I also have brass for guns I don't own yet. But now I'm in a conundrum now. I want to clean and prep the brass I have for future guns, but then I now need the dies for it. It's a vicious circle. If you have the brass, you need the dies and vice-versa .

I also CANNOT pass up a deal on die sets. Am I a die addict?

Clark
02-13-2015, 01:44 AM
I am up to 294 dies. This is the bottom sheet of a long spread sheet. I am tooling up to make more complicated dies, with an extra compound and DRO on the lathe.

justingrosche
02-13-2015, 02:24 AM
Clark, you must live on Mercer Island. lol
You have quite an assortment of dies. Wow

r1kk1
02-15-2015, 10:59 AM
I do do hope Nosler pays tribute to Jerry Shannon this 26 Nosler/ 263 Sabre cartridge.

Isn't the parent case for the Sabre the '06? The one for the Nosler is the 404 Jeffery.

take care

r1kk1

Clark
02-16-2015, 04:01 AM
Justingrosche,
We have probably seen each other at the Puyallup gun shows.
I am the gray haired white male in a plaid shirt and jeans. I arrive by freeway in a 4WD vehicle.

justingrosche
02-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Isn't the parent case for the Sabre the '06? The one for the Nosler is the 404 Jeffery.

take care

r1kk1
Rick, you are absolutely correct I was fed some bad information. Who knew an article off the internet could be wrong! My oh my, this humble pie...

justingrosche
02-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Justingrosche,
We have probably seen each other at the Puyallup gun shows.
I am the gray haired white male in a plaid shirt and jeans. I arrive by freeway in a 4WD vehicle.
Clark, so you look like and drive the same vehicle as everyone else at the Puyallup show? Yup, I'm a WAC member too.

r1kk1
02-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Rick, you are absolutely correct I was fed some bad information. Who knew an article off the internet could be wrong! My oh my, this humble pie...

Lol! I bet it still a copy of something that's been done in the past. Nothing original anymore.

take care

r1kk1