PDA

View Full Version : Lead content in sailboat keel?

maxreloader
02-03-2015, 01:19 PM
I have heard many opinions as to what is actually in a "lead" keel... what is the general rule here?

ballistim
02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I've wanted to find one too-although others have warned of a possible high zinc content, seems that it's not always consistent as far as alloy goes.

tg32-20
02-03-2015, 05:39 PM
The big name boat builders today contract out the pouring of keels and get dozens if not more done at a time. They are concerned about specific weights and you are probably more than likely going to get pure or close to it. But for any other, especially older keels, it was whatever was laying around or available at the time. I have even seen keels with chunks of concrete or iron thrown in them. You should be able to get a sample piece, melt it down and at least test it for bhn and specific gravity. Or a junkyard may be able to scan it and tell you exactly what is in it. It is much better to know ahead rather than have a 1 ton of something unusable setting in your yard.

Tom

maxreloader
02-03-2015, 09:56 PM
I'll be into it for the cost of transporting the boat (quoted $275) and the labor of "getting the lead out" pun intended. Its a 25' sailboat with a 3,800lb keel. the outboard motor, the aluminum mast and the braces that hold the boat up are going to the guy that's letting me cut it up on his land. Not a bad deal as long as its shootable. So since I can't cut it open before the boat is "given" to me... it's gonna be a gamble! I like the odds though! I can't wait until spring! chainsaw lead party anybody???

JB Weld
02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
You could always sell it for sinkers and jigs.

3800# would make a few crappie jigs.

jmort
02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
I too would roll the dice

Springfield
02-04-2015, 12:24 AM
FWIW, there is a guy near me that scraps out abandoned sailboats and then sell the lead. i have bought from him a couple of times and it has always been very soft lead. So you are probably going to be in fat city once you get that thing all melted down!

owejia
02-05-2015, 12:51 PM
The keel I got was 98.29 pb and 1.29 sb. Really soft, could scratch it with my finger nail. Its all melted and in ingots, and boolits. Would not be afraid to gamble on it being good lead.

Eddie2002
02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
A 26 foot free sailboat just came up on Craigs list with a 2600# lead keel, the only problem is the boat is half sunk in the Halifax river by Titusville. As much as I would love the lead I am leaving this one alone.

RogerDat
02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
I think one could drill a sample out of the keel and at least check for zinc with drain cleaner.

Squeeze
02-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Ive scrapped 3 sailboats for the keel now. (they were thick and easy after Sandy) all were very pure lead and well worth the effort. 2-3 guys with a mason saw or 2 and a pile of abrasive discs can cut one up and into a dumpster in a short day. the keels will be coated with much thick bottompaint, and I havent really perfected cutting them into usable chunks. Many ways to do it, its just hard to do it well.