PDA

View Full Version : CVA Scout 44 mag,who has one?

jeff223
02-03-2015, 12:59 PM
I am wondering if anyone has one here?I am interested in this rifle but know one around here has one in stock right now but I'm sure its only a matter of time before they are around again.

What do you think of the rifle and hows it shooting for you?

parson48
02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
I had one. It was well made and pretty accurate. I only sold it because Indiana changed the regs to allow longer cases. I now use a trimmed down 35 rem.

Rick Hodges
02-03-2015, 06:23 PM
I wish I had one...lol....been looking for a Scout v2 in 44 mag. I have read good about them and have handled them in 7-08 and .243...they seem to be very nice, well finished rifles. They feel very good in the hand. The problem is there are none available in .44mag. (I have also seen them in 35 Whelan and 35 Remington).

The dealers that I have talked to said that they believed more would be coming available after the shot show. We will see.

jeff223
02-03-2015, 07:22 PM
I have not seen a Scout in any caliber but I did check out the CVA Wolf muzzleloader.I read the Wolf is just like the Scout and I liked it.It seemed to be built pretty good.I would like to hear about how they shoot as far as accuracy.

Now that Michigan is allowing us to shoot straight walled cal rifles in the shotgun zone I would like to get away from shooting shotguns.Muzzleloaders, straight walled rifles and TC Contender pistols from here on out.

I do have a 357 mag Handi rifle thats going to be rechambered to 357max.If that thing shoots like I want it to I may just pass on the Scout but time will tell.

Rick Hodges
02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Jeff223...I sent you a private message. If you come across a place that has a couple of Scouts give me a heads up. I will do the same.

glockky
02-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Count me in too. I have seen a couple sell on gunbroker lately for $350+ for used ones. I really didnt want to give that much for one.

Ben
02-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Academy sports in Birmingham ( a couple of months ago ) was selling them in 7-08 and 243 Win. for $179.00

jeff223
02-03-2015, 09:36 PM
I will keep watch for a 44mag Scout rifle and then post here if I find any.Maybe I should just call CVA to find out when they will be shipping some rifles out

jaysouth
02-07-2015, 12:31 AM
I have not seen a Scout in any caliber but I did check out the CVA Wolf muzzleloader.I read the Wolf is just like the Scout and I liked it.It seemed to be built pretty good.I would like to hear about how they shoot as far as accuracy.

Now that Michigan is allowing us to shoot straight walled cal rifles in the shotgun zone I would like to get away from shooting shotguns.Muzzleloaders, straight walled rifles and TC Contender pistols from here on out.

I do have a 357 mag Handi rifle thats going to be rechambered to 357max.If that thing shoots like I want it to I may just pass on the Scout but time will tell.

Here is an ad from Bud's on 2/6/15 for a CVA Hunter in .44. However they got the wrong gun in the picture, the gun pictured is a CVA Stalker.

I do have a CVA hunter in .35 Remington which has been rechambered to .358 Win. Out of the box, the trigger is better than a Handi with a $125 trigger job.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/716008509

jaysouth
02-07-2015, 12:34 AM
I will keep watch for a 44mag Scout rifle and then post here if I find any.Maybe I should just call CVA to find out when they will be shipping some rifles out

Save yourself the agony of asking CVA where they ship rifles. They absolutely do not know. Go to Bud's for the Hunter. They only show the Scout in .35 Rem or .35 Whelan. If Buds or one of the big two auction boards do not have the CVA you are looking for, there are none to be had anywhere else. Given the quality of their guns, it is maddening that it is so hard to get what you want.

If CVA started selling Scouts and Hunter's in 30-30 and 357 Mag they could put H&R out of business. The Hunter sells for around $230 and includes a DNZ scope rings and base and a hammer extension spur. To get a Handi with those accessories and the gunsmithing to make the trigger as nice as CVA, you would have to spend close to $500 on your Handi.

Interesting that Bud's is showing the Scout pistol in .357 as available, but does not have a picture posted. Likely they will sell out before the proper picture gets posted. Here is a pic from CVA's website Go down about half the page: http://cva.com/Scout-Rifle-from-CVA.php

Good luck.

Lefty Red
02-07-2015, 06:18 AM
I agree with the Scouts quality and fit and finish. Its head and shoulders above H&R. I shot one in 35 and think its the Handi Rifle killer. IF they would just start producing the damn things!!!

Jerry

Lefty Red
02-07-2015, 06:21 AM

CVA has a hell of a rifle there! Its the reason T/C brought out the Impact, to compete with it. I still wish they made the Klondike, the fixed barrel/ drop breech ML that competed with the T/C Omega. The CVA had a better drop that allowed for the use of open sights. I didn't have to crank my neck down and hurt when I shot it. Of course you can't find the damn things now!

Jerry

jeff223
02-07-2015, 07:43 AM
That's I will check it out

kbstenberg
02-07-2015, 09:54 AM
I checked into them a couple of months ago. Thinking multiple barrels per 1 action. They don't at this time just sell barrels.

jaysouth
02-07-2015, 08:08 PM
I checked into them a couple of months ago. Thinking multiple barrels per 1 action. They don't at this time just sell barrels.

To get the interchagable barrels, one must step up to the APEX model. Then you are treading on Encore prices. However, the APEX is a very good rifle and one can get it chambered in 300 Win Mag. I don't think that CVA has a game plan to offer a barrel program for the Hunter and Scout.

I too want a Hunter or Scout in .44 mag. They make a pistol in the Scout line in .357. I sure wish they would make that is a rifle. Again, if they offered the Hunter in .357 mag and 30-30, they could put H&R in a well deserved place of interment.

jeff223
02-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I checked out a Scout pistol at Cabelas and it was nice but still no rifles

gandydancer
02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I have one in 7.08--243--44 mag--45/70 all scout carbines with Burgara Barrels. I have done no paper punching with any of them. Just gong ringing at 125 yards & 200 yds & 325 yds Bench rest. and ringing the bells until the cows where afraid to come home. and 20 rounds of the 45/70 ammo where 2F Goex with a cork wad behind a 405 grain lead bullet & shot as good as smokeless loads. lots of fun but cold. GD

jeff223
02-08-2015, 09:35 AM
I have one in 7.08--243--44 mag--45/70 all scout carbines with Burgara Barrels. I have done no paper punching with any of them. Just gong ringing at 125 yards & 200 yds & 325 yds Bench rest. and ringing the bells until the cows where afraid to come home. and 20 rounds of the 45/70 ammo where 2F Goex with a cork wad behind a 405 grain lead bullet & shot as good as smokeless loads. lots of fun but cold. GD

You must really like the Scouts seeings you have four of them

gandydancer
02-09-2015, 02:49 AM
I like them a great deal much more than the H$R rifle they all have about a 3 lb trigger pull out of the box. and a few of my friends have them also. I like the Bergara barrels also. I just put a new one in 45/70 on my encore gonging at 325 yrds today. temp was 60-plus a little windy 405's handle it just fine. I paid $250. per rifle for mine. I checked every where stores & the web. If I found them for $170. as stated on here I would have got a few more. lol I will work with reloads and paper targets this year when its warmer. Tom

jeff223
02-09-2015, 07:24 PM
do you have the Hunter or Scout or both?
Just wondering about the triggers?Are they the same on both the Hunter and Scout?

Rick Hodges
02-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Jeff223, I just picked up a CVA Wolf muzzleloader (Walmart was blowing out hunting gear) new for $79. It is essentially a CVA Hunter. It has the same action and barrel release. The trigger on mine is excellent. I havn't put a scale to it but it is crisp with almost no creep. No more than 4 lbs. As much as I like the Scout V2...I might just jump on a hunter if I find one.

jeff223
02-09-2015, 09:58 PM
I may just get a hunter too if i can find one.The hunter is $100.00 less than the Scout.

I do like the fact that the Scout is stainless steel but i can live with another blued gun if it turns out that way.

gandydancer
02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
do you have the Hunter or Scout or both?
Just wondering about the triggers?Are they the same on both the Hunter and Scout?

don't know about the triggers on the Hunter? all my rifles are scout rifles. I checked with a buddy on his Hunter rifle and says its great. doesn't know what trigger pull is & says its not a heavy pull? Tom

jeff223
02-11-2015, 07:14 PM
ok thanks

jeff223
02-20-2015, 06:26 PM
No Scout rifles around yet.I would really like to see one in person before I order one

Dogmann
12-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Which model has the 16inch barrel??

leftiye
12-31-2015, 07:43 AM
One on gumbreaker now for $323.

Dogmann
12-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Looking for the compact model