PDA

View Full Version : BHN of SOWW ?

hylander
02-03-2015, 12:30 AM
Is the hardness of SOWW to hard for casting round balls for revolvers ?
I believe I read that Soft lead is 5 and SOWW are 6 :?:

fryboy
02-03-2015, 01:19 AM
i'm afraid to say that that answer can vary ... ( it is what they are ) there have been reports of pure tin stick ons , not as common as the closer to pure lead ones and of course many steel ones ( but they dont count as they dont smelt well for us :P )
the varies part is there however , when alloying for most boolits we do treat the more common stick on's as "close enough to pure " , most the ones i tested with the lee averaged 6-7 ( and according to the extended lee chart i've tested some mystery soft stuff that tested below 5 ) if you run your pot a bit warm and let it set you can skim a small quantity of stuff ( have to let it oxidize on the top ) and refine it a wee bit closer to pure lead but in the end it will depend upon your particular batch of SOWW's if it feels really soft and you arent casting them way fat it should work fine

JeffinNZ
02-03-2015, 04:26 AM
Yeap, 6 - 7 BHN. I add some tin for nominal 40-1 alloy and it works great.

dh2
02-03-2015, 12:26 PM
I have tested some getting 6 to 8 with my Lee tester, about the same as I got testing factory reject muzzle loader bullets that are known to be pure lead.

bangerjim
02-03-2015, 01:52 PM
My Cabine and Lee testers both say around 6-7...........pure lead. Unless they are marked Zn or Fe!!!!!!!

Treat as plain old pure lead for your mixing purposes. Nothing special.

banger