PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Rolling Block

Skipper
02-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I was thinking about getting one of Pedersoli's Rolling Block Mississippi Classic rifles in .38-55 for my Grandson.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/prodotti/mid/386S.843.jpg

I checked the description and they say "The alloy frame is embellished with a nice engraving, old silver colour finishing."

Am I correct to assume that this is an aluminum alloy frame? Has anyone tried a frame like this in .38-55? I'm pretty leery at this point.:?:

country gent
02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
All metyals are an alloy of some sorts now. Thats what the number Id system designates on the steel (1020, 8620, 314 SS, 414SS , then the aluminums ). The thing to do would be contact Pedersoli and ask what alloy they are using for the rifles reciever, and its harfdening process case, full hardened, or soft. Get it from the manufacturer themselves if possible.

M-Tecs
02-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Am I correct to assume that this is an aluminum alloy frame?

No, it will be the same alloy steel used in their other RB's. The finish is French Gray. Original “French Grey” involved case hardening and then chemically treating the metal to leach out the color or pack hardening (similar to color case hardening) and quenching in a solution of Potassium ferrocyanide http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/potassium-ferrocyanide, instead of tap water like color case.

Most of the current "French Grey" is satin nickel plating like this http://www.eabco.com/cssfg.html

Nice French Grey Sharps below.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=printthread&Board=1&main=14958&type=thread

http://www.hallowellco.com/french_gray.htm

EDG
02-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Check it to make sure. They use the same term with the other light weight RRB.

M-Tecs
02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
EDG has a good point. I didn't catch the weight difference. I may have assumed too much and it is possible that it is an aluminum receiver. E-mail Pedersoli to be sure.

Dan Cash
02-03-2015, 02:50 PM
The M-16 is an aluminum receiver that works at much higher pressure than a .38-55. I would be more concerned about recoil from a very light weight gun.

country gent
02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
The M16 is aluminum upper and lower recievers that just hold the working parts. The bolt locks directly into the barrel extension both steel alloies. the gas tube key and bolt carrier are steel also. It is an interesting set up but the aluminum forgings are only holding pieces parts not any real pressure.

M-Tecs
02-03-2015, 05:25 PM
The Pedersoli's Rolling Block Mississippi is the other lightweight version and it comes in 45/70. It has the same "The alloy metal frame features attractive engraving." Due to the design of a RB I have a hard time believing Pedersoli would make an aluminum receiver but stranger things have been manufactured.

Now I am curious so I sent an e-mail to Pedersoli.

enfield
02-03-2015, 09:15 PM
The pictures I saw of them and the engraving sure did look like aluminum type alloy ( the ones I saw were black ). you know the look I'm talkin about.

Skipper
02-04-2015, 01:42 PM
E-mail from Pedersoli this morning:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

The Rolling Block Mississippi model features the frame made of ZAMAK draws upon the basic metallurgy of the alloy group: Z-Zinc, A-Aluminum, MA-Magnesium, and K-Kopper (e.g., German).
The mechanism, the hammer, the breech block, the large pins on which the hammer and the breechblock work are made of steel, exactly to the traditional model.

Best regards,
Customer Service

It'll be a cold day in hell before I shoot a pot-metal roller in .38-55.
I guess I'll look for a good 1885.

rbertalotto
02-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Same kind of metal many parts of aircraft are made. Proper engineering I'd have no issue shooting a rolling block made from ZAMAK.

Skipper
02-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Same kind of metal many parts of aircraft are made. Proper engineering I'd have no issue shooting a rolling block made from ZAMAK.

Maybe, but for about a thousand bucks, I think I can do better.

gandydancer
02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Skipper!! I agree. you can do better.

Chill Wills
02-04-2015, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Skipper;3122005
It'll be a cold day in hell before I shoot a pot-metal roller in .38-55.
I guess I'll look for a good 1885.[/QUOTE]

Amen!

I don't get it - steel is not that expensive and I can not imagine the ZAMAK is free. So now we are talking the difference between two small amounts -which is really small.

Plus the additional engineering.... what do I know, but I would think it would cost more to make the action frame of non-steel, all factors considered. ......even mild steel can be casehardened .........OK- let's not go there:p

M-Tecs
02-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Recieved the same e-mail. Sorry for the bad info above. No ZAMAK die cast rollers in my future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

http://zamakguns.com/

If it's ZAMAK 2 the ultimate tensile strength is 58,000 PSI compared to 1018 mild steel at 63,800 PSI and 4140 at 95,000 PSI so strength should not be an issue but not something I would want even with the weight savings.

country gent
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Consider the other diffrences between the two materials that are also there. Zamak is normally cast in a die cast machine ( how ever many cavities will fit in its dies) engraving is in the dies being cast in place. These machines force the metal into dies under pressure so much more consistent casting. Castings are much closer to dimensions. Much less machining with cheaper tooling. The steel recievers can be investment cast, Forged or machined from bar stock, More time more expensive tooling, more processes to finish the recievers. A unimat or other casting machine could produce 12-16 castings per cycle.

Chill Wills
02-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Ha! Maybe to go along with it, a plastic stock with cast in checkering and contact paper wood grain. .....on BPCR.. don't laugh! The guy with the stainless steel bolt action - made for smokeless muzzleloader will have to have one. :-P Something for everyone in a free market place.

M-Tecs
02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
The guy with the stainless steel bolt action - made for smokeless muzzleloader will have to have one. :-P

Hey I resemble that remark!!! I do have several stainless steel bolt action smokeless muzzeloaders but NO Zamak rollers for me!!!!!!

enfield
02-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Hey they made airplanes out of cloth 100 years ago, a cotton rolling block doesn't sound that good either.

M-Tecs
02-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Ceconite or the Stits Poly-Fiber System fabric are still used today is some aircraft. Weight and cost is the primary factor. The Zamak RB's are about a 1 1/2 pounds lighter and $225 cheaper than the Sporting model so that is a very good comparison. Still not my cup of tea on a classic firearm.

Per Wiki:

Zamak alloys are also used in firearms, including those manufactured by:
Gyrojet
Hi-Point Firearms
Raven Arms
Jimenez Arms
Sundance Industries
Lorcin Engineering Company
Arcadia Machine & Tool
Davis Industries
Phoenix Arms
Henry Repeating Arms - Lever Action .22lr Receiver Covers

MtGun44
02-06-2015, 12:20 AM
The difference is die casting, gets you to essentially final dimension in seconds.
Not a chance I would buy one with a Zamak receiver at any price above $100.

Bill