PDA

View Full Version : 577-450 m-h reloading

fg-machine
02-02-2015, 02:20 PM
hello gentleman .

this may be a bit of an odd request from a new guy .
but i am looking to have a private discussion with someone who is well versed in all aspects of reloading and case forming for the 577-.450 m-h
to use as a sounding board and hopefully give me an outside perspective , and keep things fairly confidential

please do not beat me up to bad , i have very good reasons to not have a public discussion , nor am i looking for rookie advice .

Tackleberry41
02-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I had never messed with case forming until I got into 577/450. Did buy some brass, but $5 an empty you get a bit upset mangling the rim on one. Read up on the various stuff out there on forming the brass from 24ga. Learned a few things and got it to where I ruin 5 or less out of a box of 25. I learned if you get a kink in the brass that first bit of forming, it will never go away, just gets worse and worse. Tried this and that to get them out, but it never works. First run thru the die, gets that kink just toss it and move on to the next. And when you get close to formed, best to help them out of the die with a punch from the top.

I dont run mine all the way down to the shell holder, those chambers tend to be a bit bigger than that. I get close I check it until the action will close. I just cut them off close to length with a dremmel, than the lee tool for final spec, not sure if there is a trimmer, well non 50 BMG trimmer, they will fit in. Have no need for that size trimmer to justify buying one to trim a few martini shells. The lee tool does the job, but you trim a little, then bevel the edges, trim a little more.

zuke
02-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Just getting into case forming, and it amaze's me on how easy I do it.

curator
02-04-2015, 12:55 PM
For all things, Martini Henry reloading: http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/9/Cartridges-and-Reloading/Cartridges-and-Reloading#.VNJOtWM5CUk

fg-machine
02-04-2015, 06:41 PM
thanks guys , but its not case forming or reloading itself i'd like input on , more of related ideas i need to bounce around

zuke
02-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Please, be more specific then

bigbore52
02-17-2015, 01:53 AM
I've been reloading and casting for the MH now for several decades - only recently have I managed to get the accuracy out of it as befits the gun. What is it you actually want to know about the case fg-machine? Is it the casting of suitable projectiles, the forming of the cases, the loads used or how the case is stuffed - all these points have been vigorously discussed on various forums such as the one listed by curator and well word reading - there's a wealth of information out there but let me caution you.....each MH is different and in my experience, there's no quick fix load all solution to making yours shoot tacks.

If you wanted to drop me a pm, only too happy to pass on my experience but again, not sure what you are after....(equally not sure of procedure for PM's on this forum as a newbie myself :) )