PDA

View Full Version : Rem 722 trigger problems

atr
02-01-2015, 09:22 PM
My Remington 722 has an adjustable trigger, but it also has creep that I can't seem to adjust out. Is there a known way of cleaning this trigger up; of getting rid of the creep. Or is there a replacement trigger that you can recommend?
thank
atr

RickinTN
02-01-2015, 10:03 PM
There is a way to do so on the trigger you have. You can adjust the sear engagement and it will result in less creep and a more crisp trigger. Extra care and caution are called for to be certain you still have a safe trigger. I would not suggest doing so unless you are very familiar with the Walker trigger. The trigger you have, assuming it is the original trigger to the rifle, is very adjustable and excellent for someone who knows their way around one.
As an alternative trigger I would suggest a Jewel. I have several and they are the best to be had. They are expensive but you'll only cry until you pull it the first time.
Rick

atr
02-01-2015, 11:10 PM
thanks Rick
I will go back again and try that re-adjustment for the sear.....
atr

knifemaker
02-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Be very careful on your adjustment of that 721 trigger. That walker trigger is famous for accidental firing due to hobby gunsmiths making to improper sear adjustments. If done wrong, your rifle may fire when you push the safety off or drop the bolt handle to hard. Been several deaths due to a malfunction Walker trigger and many lawsuits filed against Remington. Some of the Walker triggers have even failed when no tampering was done to them due to getting dirty. I am going to be frank and honest with you. If you had to ask about the trigger as you did, you should not be doing any adjustment to it. Take it to a good gunsmith or replace with a aftermarket trigger that is not prone to accidental firing as the Walker trigger is.

KCSO
02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
To be safe these triggers have to be done exactly right. If you have the right tools and the know how you can get a nice crisp safe trigger here BUT you have to do it right. I have done enough of these that i don't know where my diagrams are any more but you can find instructions on the web but be carefull and test well before putting live ammo in the gun. If you can't pound on the butt of the rifle with a rubber mallet and get the same weight of trigger pull as you set it for it;s not right.

376Steyr
02-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Can I assume you flushed the trigger assembly with solvent before you tried to adjust it? I love those old 721/722/725 models. Every one I've bought has had 30 years of crud and solidified oil gumming up the works. It's amazing what a difference a good cleaning makes.

atr
02-03-2015, 12:11 PM
thanks guys....
I have adjusted this trigger several times and understand it's dangers and pitfalls. 376Steyr has a suggestion I haven't tired; i.e. a good cleaning.
I will give it a try this weekend and keep you posted
atr

DLCTEX
02-03-2015, 11:21 PM
I bought my 722 from the original owner, and shortly after I had it fire as I released the safety. I did have it pointed downrange, so no mishap. I investigated a it probably had never been cleaned in the trigger group since it left the factoty. A thourough cleaning and no mishaps in years.

dakota
02-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Some people leave the enclosed triggers with a light oil.I do not. I like the trigger oil free especially in cold rainy weather. I likethe Walker triggers. The only triggers I've had trouble with were: one thatwasn't clean and the other was an aftermarket trigger that was adjusted way to light when I bought the rifle.
If I were shooting indoor in a match with a 22 or a 45 instead of out in theweather, light oil might be OK.
Throwing in another unsolicited comment: never use a water displacement productsuch as WD40 for a lubricant, especially on triggers.

atr
02-07-2015, 07:24 PM
SUCCESS !
Gave the trigger a good cleaning and re-set the adjustments. PERFECT ! Nice crisp trigger with no creep or gritty feeling. Performed and passed all the safety test suggested in the "how to" manual.
I agree with DAKOTA...no oil on the trigger assembly.