PDA

View Full Version : Question about my Encore

Wayne Smith
02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Took it to the range today to re-sight in the scope. I noticed that, roughly a third of the time, the trigger pull resulted in a miss-fire, the same thing that happens when you pull the trigger a second time without opening the action. The hammer falls and bounces. I'm assuming that there is something going on that involves the reset feature. I've never taken it apart and it is the only one I have.

I don't think it matters but, for what it's worth, is is the Katadin model.

I just got home with it. I hope you say to clean the action, but I'm afraid there may be more involved than that.

triggerhappy243
02-01-2015, 08:44 PM
There is more to that. Sorry............... I have heard of this before. If you take it apart... And then have to send it back to s&w, the warranty is void.

Wayne Smith
02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Wow, 135 views and only one response. Either this is an uncommon problem or this is more than anyone wants to tackle!

TCFAN
02-17-2015, 11:07 AM
What caliber is your Encore? I have 3 frames and 7 barrels and the only time I have had a failure to fire is on one frame I made the mistake of dry firing it a few time and broke the firing pin and ruined the small firing pin spring.They are not hard to take apart and work on.You might need the book from Mike Bellm on the Encore take down..............Terry

Wayne Smith
02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
This is the Katadin, I have the 45-70 and 500S&W barrels. Do you have a link for Bellam's book?

aiken
02-18-2015, 02:10 PM
www.bellmtcs.com

Link to his site

TCFAN
02-18-2015, 02:16 PM
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=205&cid=35

This is the shop manual that I use to take the Encore apart.He makes it sound harder than it really is. You just need to know the right order to remove the one screw and the rest of the pins. The pictures help to put it back together. Just had one of mine apart couple of days ago to put in a new hammer.The old hammer spur broke off and TC sent a new one right out no charge...........Terry

Wayne Smith
02-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks, ordered it and signed up for his free download.

nhrifle
02-19-2015, 01:19 AM
There is a circular recoil shield that bolts to the frame from the hammer side. There isn't much clearance between the firing pin and its hole and corrosion and rust can build up on the firing pin causing a misfire. Take the shield out, clean the parts and reassemble and test fire. Might solve the problem.